Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 16:22   #46

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Vacuum Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
You are going to love this stuff. The shipping packaging is incredible to protect the contents. Be prepared for a large package, loaded on a pallet. I used Reflectex foam sheets to wrap the exterior of the finished box outer skin,just to give it an extra margin of heat reflection.

If you zoom in on the picture you will see that the top is independent of the bottom. This allows me to handle the weight of the main box without the holding plate installed. The block and tackle are attached to four small U-straps that normally hold bungee cords for the box's interior shelves, so that the milk doesn't slide around in rough seas. The top, with its RParts lids, slips over the bottom (where there isn't any Reflectex) and gets a sealant, inside and outside. The Reflectex square, on top (easier to see when zoomed in) protects the top edges of the VIPs and sandwiching polyurethane foam sheets. I made it this way in case I ever needed to do any repairs (Murphy's Law hasn't been repealed, yet).
Really looks great ! Murphys law is going to take a beating with that setup .
When do you think you will have it up and running?

Regards .
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:24   #47

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

My reefer is located in the elevated sub floor of the sterncastle, the aftermost compartment of my center cockpit trimaran, a Searunner. I have to get on my knees to access it, but it's a small price to pay for a handy location. After it's installed, the table and two seat benches will be reinstalled. This is probably the coolest dining area I've ever seen. You have 270 degree visibility astern, with an opening port that is huge. The two ovals are for stained glass panels. Immediately forward of this area is the galley, with sink on one side, and on the other, a stove (a customized Force 10 with eye-level oven and counter level burners). It's completely different than any other design I've ever seen.

And the reefer has proven more costly than I would ever have imagined. At least I don't value my time, so it hasn't been that much of a disaster. The freezer will be more conventional, a stand-up countertop version located in the main cabin. Both units are about 6 cubic feet, and powered by a Bitzer compressor and 1/2 HP direct drive DC motor. All the hardware is located aft of the reefer, under the table, where I can get to it for easy access, once I pull the table out and lift the floorboards. Great service access, located near the waterline, and super insulated.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:27   #48

typhoon, I'm installing the compressor and its other assorted parts now. My hope is to be chilling champagne for New Year's. I'll be sending in lots of pics, once I get the "furniture" back in place and have the galley functioning again.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43   #49

Very interested in seeing how it all comes together . I know these refrigeration set up's are a lot of work to build , I built one before , but the process is very satisfying. At least this time I am only re-insulating and changing the hardware .
keep us posted Roy

Regards
Old 13-11-2013, 06:42   #50

Roy .

How long did it take you to get your panels once you placed the order?

Regards
Old 13-11-2013, 07:31   #51

A couple weeks. Their factory is in New Mexico and I live in California, so freight is a factor (and customs, I guess, for you).
Old 13-11-2013, 09:52   #52

Quote:
A couple weeks. Their factory is in New Mexico and I live in California, so freight is a factor (and customs, I guess, for you).
Thats great Roy , thanks for the information.

I was thinking it would take longer ,

Regards
Old 18-01-2014, 12:47   #53

Does anybody know approachable V.I.P. fridge panel producer in Europe ?
Am building a new fridge, have a tight space to fit in
Tried aces like Kingspan / Kevothermal / VaQTech... all seem too busy for a small order

Of course, might buy from Pacific Sea Breeze - but, you know, "the oats are cheap, but the boats..."
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 12:27   #54

Quote:
typhoon, I'm installing the compressor and its other assorted parts now. My hope is to be chilling champagne for New Year's. I'll be sending in lots of pics, once I get the "furniture" back in place and have the galley functioning again.
Hey Roy,

Im close to starting the demolition of my galley and ordering up those VIPs . I just emailed my source, and it is all good, 1000$ minimum and all that .

Just thought I would check in with you and see if you are enjoying your cold Champagne . How is that fridge working ?

Regards
Old 15-11-2014, 06:44   #55

Alas, the reefer and freezer are temporarily on the back burner as I devote all my energy and resources at completing the exterior overhaul before the winter rains (note the wishful sound there?). My stove and cabinetwork are all sitting patiently in the shop for the shiny stuff to get completed. For me, the galley is one of the most important areas of my boat, but the exterior is what takes it across the seas, so, priorities get set and complied with. I'll be sending lots of pics when I have something to show. Right now, it's bits of discarded sandpaper, cans of epoxy, acetone, primer, LPU paint and chaos inside and out. Sigh......
Old 17-11-2014, 09:41   #56

Quote:
Alas, the reefer and freezer are temporarily on the back burner as I devote all my energy and resources at completing the exterior overhaul before the winter rains (note the wishful sound there?). My stove and cabinetwork are all sitting patiently in the shop for the shiny stuff to get completed. For me, the galley is one of the most important areas of my boat, but the exterior is what takes it across the seas, so, priorities get set and complied with. I'll be sending lots of pics when I have something to show. Right now, it's bits of discarded sandpaper, cans of epoxy, acetone, primer, LPU paint and chaos inside and out. Sigh......
Hey Roy good to hear from you.

I have been in the same predicament lately, installing a furnace / new generator / LifeP04 batteries / this stuff takes time . A labor of love right ?
Seems like I am seeing the light of day on those projects and will be starting on the refrigeration soon, I will also post a few pics as I go along . The race is on LOL

Regards
Old 18-11-2014, 07:19   #57

I'll be very interested in the LiFePO4 battery system, reducing that much weight in my multihull could be a very good thing. As for the reefer/freezer, I'll get back to it when the rains come in our winter. Right now, the focus is purely on getting paint on the outside of the boat. Today is supposed to be in the mid-70s, so it's an ideal day to slop it on. Good luck on your many projects. Ain't boating fun?
Old 22-07-2015, 06:39   #58

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundinho View Post
I am looking to rebuilt my refrigiration box. I would like to use vacuum panels in order to keep same internal space with higher insulation values. I have only come accross Glacier Bay vacuum panels for sale so far. ...<snip>... (B) Does anyone have any good / bad experience with Glacier Bay panels.
While answering an email from someone I did a quick search and found this post. I've now had the Glacier Bay panels for six years in Mexico, and the freezer/fridge efficiency seems to be the same as when they were installed. I'm very happy with them.

The box was over engineered, in case of failure and because I knew I was heading south into real heat. See: <http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/galley/fridge/>

Wal
Old 24-07-2015, 12:38   #59

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyBryant View Post
While answering an email from someone I did a quick search and found this post. I've now had the Glacier Bay panels for six years in Mexico, and the freezer/fridge efficiency seems to be the same as when they were installed. I'm very happy with them.

The box was over engineered, in case of failure and because I knew I was heading south into real heat. See: <http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/galley/fridge/>

Wal
Wal - all I can say is wow. Double wow! What a project. I did something remotely similar years ago on my previous boat. Nice documentation and explanation on your blog. Thanks for posting. Not sure I would be up for all the work but these things can be complicated. I assume it now meets your electrical consumption targets?
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:15   #60

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Thanks. I can honestly say that I have never regretted the time and expense on that project. It's right up there on the happy scale with the new rig and repower. Oh, the new rig is now 14 years old and the repower has a few thousand hours... <VBG>

Regarding my electrical requirements, the refrigeration is doing better than expected. I cannot say that I planned my total electrical requirements perfectly for the long term. When I started out, I was very conservative with my 12 volts -- only one light on at a time, etc. As time passed, I've sorta said "oh heck this is my house, live in it, I might be 'camping' but..." I took a big hit on electrical when I discovered that my 12V TV could play AVI movies from a flash drive. That TV finally died last year, and I found a new LCD one at a mega store that had an external 12V power brick and plays AVI to MP4 movies, so it's wired into the boat and only pulls 1.2A. Hooray.

While I have solar, I see the options and technology available today and am jealous. I do fire up the little Honda 2000 more often that I'd like. I don't have to, but like to keep the batteries up. A set of wet cells can only survive about 500 cycles of 50 percent drain and recharge, and it's amazing how quickly you can run through 500 cycles. The years fly by. The last time I replaced batteries, I gave myself a nice inguinal. Fortunately that surgical repair is about 20 percent of the cost down here.

Oops. I seem to be off track. The only other point I want to make about solar is that I *don't regret* making sure that my setup could be tucked up quickly and doesn't have a high windage profile. I was once caught anchored in a 4 hour squall that was 50 with gusts to 70. It was enough to make me pull out a spare anchor. One friend 30 miles away ended up on the beach, and another friend blew up his engine trying to motor against it. I certainly don't want to initiate a religious ground tackle discussion on this old refrigeration thread, so won't say anything more than to say that I was glad that my solar setup could be quickly tucked away.

Best regards,
Wal