Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2022, 13:13   #1

Varnish look

The two looks I would like to achieve are shown below- matching what's there:

So far, new epiphanes gloss looks too glossy, like on rails of nav station:

I read somewhere that you can apply base coats of gloss, then rubbed effect on top, to get the rubbed effect look. But when I have done this (just 1 coat of rubbed so far) , it's still pretty glossy

Questions:
1) Does rubbed effect on top of gloss slowly transition the look from shiny to dull? If so, I think my "many years old" gloss look might be best achieved by 1-2 coats of rubbed effect on top of gloss
2) About how many coats of rubbed effect would it take to bring gloss back to fully dull? If this is impossible, I will start using only rubbed effect when I would like the rubbed effect dull look.
3) Any other ideas for how to achieve these finishes?

Thank you, I am new to varnish, trying to figure this out
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 14:02   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Varnish look

If it is too glossy for you, you can add a flatting agent. The matte finish on the bulkhead was probably done with a matte finish (containing the aforementioned flatting agent). It is partly a matter of taste. We used to keep the high wear areas high gloss (because it is hardest, most long wearing with out the flattener. Then all the rest, matte. You could try buying a semi-gloss varnish, or just try adding some flattening agent, and find out by trial and error how much appeals to your eye when finished. I would only flatten the final coat, though, to retain as much as possible of the strength of the high gloss. There may be an online source which would say what ratio of flattener to what of gloss varnish, a half US Tablespoon to a US pint might not be a bad starting point. It will be easy to get too much in, so use only as much as you need to get the appearance you want.

Ann
Old 31-08-2022, 14:42   #3

I achieved the look you are asking about by building up with Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss and then a coat or two of Epifanes Wood Finish Matte. You don't want to "build" with matte finish otherwise it will get cloudy. I would recommend reading Brightwork by Rebecca Whitman.
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 15:29   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbob View Post
You don't want to "build" with matte finish otherwise it will get cloudy. I would recommend reading Brightwork by Rebecca Whitman.
^This.
You build with gloss.
Although it is labor intensive, after a good build-up you use Pumice with wet rags to rub it down.
You get a "sheen" without the gloss, but still keep the "depth" of the look, kind of like a Steinway piano.
The various Rubbed effect/Simi-gloss/Matte/Flat, finishes are the "quick-and-dirty" way, but they never achieve the "dipped in glass" appearance.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:31   #5

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering where the "hand rubbed" terminology came from, now it makes sense. I think I'll try the pumice, I like the idea that it can be done increasingly until the right amount of dullness is reached.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:47   #6

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

rottenstone / tripoli powder. Pumice sounds too abrasive.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:02   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if interior .. you can also use polyurethane which comes in satin. not sure what rubbed effect finish means but it sounds like it is too glossy for you.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:04   #8

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Click image for larger version

Name:	0B8F3CE8-CC32-4F88-9EEC-007F237FDED6.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	263751
Pumice powder comes in various grit sizes. I’m not even sure what grit mine is- I bought it several decades ago, but it is quite fine and works great for just this purpose- to achieve a less glossy finished look.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish