Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2018, 14:08   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Varnish over resin?

Many people are recommending using resin as a basic coat over teak flooring and ladders and such and then finishing with varnish. There are several advantages including good protection from water and UV damage, plus you can be done much faster with fewer coats.

My concern is whether this method produces a surface that is slippery when wet? The look is definitely excellent but I want a surface that is safe when you are running from cockpit to sail locker when it's raining.

We had this one floor coating that was very slippery when wet and you were walking around, especially in stocking feet.

Plus, how does this hold up over time?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 14:23   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Varnish over resin?

Very slippery but you can add silica sand for grip or grip tape. Personally I’d just go varnish unless you’re looking for added strength. The only part i epoxied then varnished/painted over was my turtle hatch and bow sprit. Epoxy has poor UV qualities and the idea of varnish/paint over epoxy is strength from epoxy, Uv protection from varnish/paint. Long term depends on how much you like removing epoxy from wood when it delaminates vs sanding and re applying varnish.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 14:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Like RBK said, I think it would be pretty slippery on floors and steps.
If you decide to use the varnish over epoxy technique. I highly recommend you buy the book Epoxy Basics from PT Watercraft. It’s well written, easy to understand and packed with useful information. Oh yeah, it’s cheap if you down load the e book version.
E-Books
Old 25-06-2018, 14:56   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

For the companioway and steps I did epoxy then varnish - then added non-slip strips on the steps.
.... but not any epoxy - S1 sealer - as the name implies, it is very thin and is more of a sealer, two coats then varnish. For the floors, I used S1 then Varathane. In the cabin, I have one of those "very expensive" Persian rugs with rubberized non-slip underneath.. works great.

https://www.systemthree.com/products...g-epoxy-sealer
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 15:16   #5

Varnish not that great for steps etc as it wears very quickly. Up here in the PNW one winter's rain will break through 3 coats of varnish... just from the abrasive rain.
My advice is to use Treadmaster or something else on the portion where you walk for steps. However, you can add sand to the varnish to make it grippy...just sprinkle it on before it dries. On floors use a carpet runner to help the wear issue. If you are using resin under varnish be aware you must sand the resin after curing. Once you are committed to the resin you are stuck with it. Inside the boat it is not needed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish