Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2024, 16:54   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Ventiltion and Fighting Damp in Unocupied Boat

I recently bought a 1977 Islander 36. Perhaps miracously, it has avoided the "old boat smell" all these years and has no evidence of mold or mildew. I would like to keep it that way. I can only get to it on weeknds, and not every weekend. In the water in SF Bay area, which can be pretty damp in the winter.

Prior owner told me he kept the boat all closed up, no hatches or ports open. He used what West Marine calls an "Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier, 120V AC." Despite "Dehumidifier" in the name, it looks like just a heater to me because it does not have a tank for collected water. This is the unit: http://www.westmarine.com/west-marin...c-7867518.html

I have added a small dehudifier from Amazon. I still think I need some ventilation. Boat has no dorades, and leaving a hatch or port open will let in rain. I am think of installing a mushroom or UFO type vent, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ufo-deck-vent-with-integral-mushroom-ventilator-ufo2-2023-111444.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	285835
http://https://defender.com/en_us/ve...entilator-ufo2

There are three holes in the cabin bulkhead which faces the cockpit that would be ideal for such a vent. They origianlly held old analog instruments which a prior owner has removed, leaving he housing and the clear glass / plastic faces, like small non-opening ports. The bulkhead is sloping slightly, with no dodger over it, like this:

Name:	islander_36_drawing-496x1024.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	285836

The exisitng holes are ideal for inserting a vent since they are not really doing anything now and will allow me to avoid making more holes in the boat. But
I am worried that the angle will allow rain to get in. I think these vents were intended to be mounted flat on the deck.

Does anyone have experince mounting these kind of vents on a near vertical surface? Any better ideas for utilizing the exising holes for some sort of ventilation?
Old 30-01-2024, 17:10   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Ventiltion and Fighting Damp in Unocupied Boat

When I lived in the tropics over the "wet season" it was essential to keep al wardrobes and drawers open to provide ventilation.

I have installed X6 Dorade vents as well X10 "Rain Diverters" which allow me to leave windows open even in heavy rain. (You will need to click on the photo to get a closer look.

Just one other matter I need to address is mildew under mattresses. (Apparently I need to install slats to allow air circulation)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 09-05-41 _IGP7370.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	285838  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat