Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 23:46   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E
Video : Cleaning Teak

Hello Everyone

I am a newbie sailor and newbie boatowner. I often find that the very basic of basics are not treated by the seasoned old salts, leaving me wanting for your wisdom .
In part to alleviate the tedium getting things done, and in part as a sounding board and conversation starter on how to do things, I am launching a new Youtube show called "The Boat List".
I will be documenting my experiences as I work my way through my own "boat list".

I give you episode 1, wherein I clean my cockpit teak.

Cheers
Stephan
stephanfeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 13:52   #2

Re: Video : Cleaning Teak

It looks very nice! However the brush you used is much to stiff, and you should never go with the grain of the wood as it will tear out all the soft grain between the harder grain leaving hollows, which will collect more dirt, faster, causing it to have to be cleaned more often. Salt water would have been fine to clean with, unless you were looking for a fresh grain appearance!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 18:37   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
It looks very nice! However the brush you used is much to stiff, and you should never go with the grain of the wood as it will tear out all the soft grain between the harder grain leaving hollows, which will collect more dirt, faster, causing it to have to be cleaned more often. Salt water would have been fine to clean with, unless you were looking for a fresh grain appearance!
Thanks MikeD. I was wondering about the brush stiffness. I'll see about getting the softer shurhold deckbrush.
Shurhold also has green scrub-pads which I know some people use (they look like large dish sponges). Your thoughts on those ?

Cheers
Stephan
stephanfeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01   #4

Hi ! If your talking about the Scotchbrite pads, those will also take out the soft parts of the grain, and will also scratch the hard grain, allowing more dirt to accumulate. I am not sure of the softness, of the brush, but from what I have read on the issue most people who do what you want to do use a soft brush, dipped in salt water against the grain to minimize the wood removal. Best of luck with it! Nice to see, when someone tries to maintain a fresh look of their vessel!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote