Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 03:37   #1
cruiser

Vinegar

Vinegar eats rust.
If rusty tools such as a ceased shackle is to remain immersed in vinegar 24 hours, a wire brush will usually clean it up after. It doesn't bring miracles; if pitted it's pitted. Vinegar removes rusts purchase and a wire brush knocks it off.

I failed. No trick to it, I'm with belief that my parts being small bicycle lever assemblies were of me with inefficient brace techniques to wire brush them effectively.
Really handy on rusty tools that can soaked, braced and then wire brushed.
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 07:21   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Vinegar

boatsie, vinegar is way too inexpensive for these ye get what ye pay for folks.. they WANT pricey fix,not cheap going. hahahahahaha..
yes you have confirmed that which has been known many decades if not hundreds of years.
i also found sea water to be good at removing rust, when one uses friction with the liquid. must be rinsed with fresh then protected after, as well.
good work. i bet that was a good feeling when ye discovered that trick.
i need to use it on my bike. coca cola also removes rust. attracts ants and insects, tho....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote