Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 11:04   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Vinyl Lettering Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I find Acetone a little too aggressive on the gelcoat as it actually softens (dissolves) it.

So not true. I have used many hundreds of gallons on gelcoat, it will take the wax right off but does no damage. If you have gelcoat which is damaged by acetone you have a serious problem...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 11:32   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
So not true. I have used many hundreds of gallons on gelcoat, it will take the wax right off but does no damage. If you have gelcoat which is damaged by acetone you have a serious problem...
Maybe I'm wrong but I have noticed the whiteness on the rag and the gelcoat feels a little sticky when I have used it. Also tried once to remove some black streaks of unknown origin off the gelcoat, only to have it stain into the gelcoat slightly.
If I was to remove a "goo" from gelcoat, I would be more apt to use a more petroleum based product like "goo gone".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 13:25   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I have noticed the whiteness on the rag and the gelcoat feels a little sticky when I have used it. Also tried once to remove some black streaks of unknown origin off the gelcoat, only to have it stain into the gelcoat slightly.
If I was to remove a "goo" from gelcoat, I would be more apt to use a more petroleum based product like "goo gone".

Your rag should be coming back spotless off clean gel. If it's not it's either paint or there's a very big problem. Sure you're not just seeing the dust and dirt you might be wiping? I wipe for prep with acetone all the time, the surface is already spotless and the rag comes back clean every time. The wipe is to make sure all dust is gone and evaporate any moisture. If you have porous gelcoat then trying to wipe any sort of goo off of it with any solvent will wipe it into the pores, leaving pinhole stains that can't be removed. But that should be the only way possible to wipe black streaks into your gel. Petroleum products are the worst way to go, they take much too long to evaporate and leave a residue. Alchohol is the safest solvent for wiping gelcoat, followed closely by acetone. Xylene is great for removing adhesive residue, but make sure to wipe it clean and dry with acetone as soon as you have the residue off.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 13:59   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Your rag should be coming back spotless off clean gel. If it's not it's either paint or there's a very big problem. Sure you're not just seeing the dust and dirt you might be wiping? I wipe for prep with acetone all the time, the surface is already spotless and the rag comes back clean every time. The wipe is to make sure all dust is gone and evaporate any moisture. If you have porous gelcoat then trying to wipe any sort of goo off of it with any solvent will wipe it into the pores, leaving pinhole stains that can't be removed. But that should be the only way possible to wipe black streaks into your gel. Petroleum products are the worst way to go, they take much too long to evaporate and leave a residue. Alcohol is the safest solvent for wiping gelcoat, followed closely by acetone. Xylene is great for removing adhesive residue, but make sure to wipe it clean and dry with acetone as soon as you have the residue off.
Well...It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. Just ask all my ex's. It could be that the hull was so oxidized, I was seeing that instead. Regardless, I will use alcohol. I know it's safe for that.
Just a side note...I used alcohol to clean the clear plastic bowls of my Racor filters and they crazed terribly. It seems I need to brush up on my chemistry...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal