Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2023, 05:00   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39, Gemini 105MC, Hobie Mirage Tandem Island
Vinyl wrap over Awlgrip to protect from fender chafing

I'm storing my boat in the water for six months at a marina and am looking at ways to prevent the fenders from chafing my nice, new Awlgrip job. I've got fender covers, but it's been my experience that even the best covers can still chafe, especially if in contact with a boat's hull for a prolonged period. My thought was to put on some temporary 3 mil vinyl boat wrap on the hull where my covered fenders touch the boat, which I'll remove when I return to the boat in November. I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this and, if so, how it worked out. Any damage or discoloration to the Awlgrip from having the vinyl wrap on there? Did the section of wrap hold up? It would be great if this would work bc vinyl wrap sections are very inexpensive and easy to apply, but I don't want to damage my Awlgrip. I'm assuming that the manufacturer says that you shouldn't do this, but I want to know if anyone has any real-world experience with vinyl wrap over Awlgrip. I'm not worried about voiding the warranty if vinyl wrap doesn't harm or discolor the Awlgrip significantly after 6 months being on the boat (in a section of the hull that gets relatively little direct sun).
CaptainPete222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 05:37   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Vinyl wrap over Awlgrip to protect from fender chafing

I know our friend’s boat was shrink wrapped and wherever it touched his Awlgrip paint, it was damaged, the paint huddled and could be stripped off like a banana peel.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 06:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I know our friend’s boat was shrink wrapped and wherever it touched his Awlgrip paint, it was damaged, the paint huddled and could be stripped off like a banana peel.
Thank you. That’s exactly the information I was looking for. Guess I won’t do that.
Old 30-04-2023, 12:07   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

If your awlgrip is well done and waxed I cannot understand how chafing would occur with a fender that is properly covered. Certainly nothing that could t be buffed out later.
Old 30-04-2023, 12:10   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I use XXL sweatpants for fender covers.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 12:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
If your awlgrip is well done and waxed I cannot understand how chafing would occur with a fender that is properly covered. Certainly nothing that could t be buffed out later.
The issue isn’t chafing as much as it is trapping moisture adjacent to the paint which can result in blistering the paint and peeling. And buffing Awlgrip has to be done very carefully so as to avoid removing the paint’s outer protective layer.
Old 30-04-2023, 13:53   #7

I didn't even know that buffing Awlgrip was a thing.

Anyway, I made fender covers using the stuff that Sailrite sells. It's sort of a carpet like material, and it's commonly used on boat trailers on the bunks. Holds up to UV very well. I'm in Michigan, where the season is a little short, but I've been using mine for about 8 to 9 years and they show no sign of degrading.

Bonus: Sailrite has a video on how to make them. My 1972 Kenmore home sewing machine had no problem powering through the material...V69 Dacron thread.

I wouldn't mention the material, except that you said you're concerned about moisture. The material has a carpet like texture to it, and seems to dry very quickly. You might check with Sailrite and see if you can get a sample.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 16:53   #8

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
I didn't even know that buffing Awlgrip was a thing.

Anyway, I made fender covers using the stuff that Sailrite sells. It's sort of a carpet like material, and it's commonly used on boat trailers on the bunks. Holds up to UV very well. I'm in Michigan, where the season is a little short, but I've been using mine for about 8 to 9 years and they show no sign of degrading.

Bonus: Sailrite has a video on how to make them. My 1972 Kenmore home sewing machine had no problem powering through the material...V69 Dacron thread.

I wouldn't mention the material, except that you said you're concerned about moisture. The material has a carpet like texture to it, and seems to dry very quickly. You might check with Sailrite and see if you can get a sample.
If you're referring to Sailrite Boat Blanket, their website says:
>>Boat Blanket is intended for use against gel coat and other hard-coated surfaces. Please use caution when using against painted or thin clear-coated surfaces.<<
nwh10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 17:04   #9

Buffing Awlgrip is not a thing, unless its about 16 years old, which can’t hurt it either way.
Buffing Awlcraft, now thats a thing. Two different animals.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:22   #10

I contacted Jameson Distributors and asked what, if anything, they’d recommend for a chafe guard on Awlgrip. They told me to use the 3M product that shrink wrappers use to protect Awlgripped boats from shrink wrap chafe. https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct-detail/2160
Old 02-05-2023, 08:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPete222 View Post
I contacted Jameson Distributors and asked what, if anything, they’d recommend for a chafe guard on Awlgrip. They told me to use the 3M product that shrink wrappers use to protect Awlgripped boats from shrink wrap chafe. https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct-detail/2160
Ask them if they will pay for the subsequent damage doing that will cause.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Buffing Awlgrip is not a thing, …
Buffing Awlcraft, now thats a thing. Two different animals.
I think you are confusing Awlgrip and Awlcraft, only the latter can be buffed without damage
Old 02-05-2023, 08:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Any fabric can chafe, as can the fender surface itself. Fabric is abrasive. Maybe equal to 1500-2000 grit sandpaper? Not sure. For that matter, even rain is abrasive, it'll eat through 2-3 layers of varnish on a flat surface in a year in a heavy rain area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:29   #14

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Appreciate the distinction and lesson on difference between Awlgrip and Awlcraft. Thanks all!

Tags
fender, rot