Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2022, 22:18   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Vinyl Wrap the World

I was staying in a hotel recently that’s really nice. But if you look closely, you can see evidence they took an old dump and vinyl wrapped it.

They rejuvenated the entire place using vinyl wrap. And a few tricks I’m aware of that make things look nice. Things like not skimping on accessories.

So it got me wondering. Could this possibly be a great way to put together cabinetry?

Now, I’m not talking about the kind of cabinetry where you are going to be sliding pointy objects across. Not the kind where you are going to tear the vinyl. But stuff that just basically holds dishes or whatever.

In my never-ending quest to find the lightest weight, best looking way to do cabinetry, I had landed on foam and formica. It worked pretty well for the shower I have done. That’s about all I have done so far.

I’m wondering if for regular cabinetry work, you couldn’t put together foam with a wooden framing around it, which allows you to handle the hardware loads, and then just vinyl wrap that. It would save weight over foam and formica. I mean, it might not work well because it would lack stiffness. But what kind of panel could you use under the vinyl wrap such that it’s the most light weight thing you can put together?

I’m attaching a couple pictures. Take a look. All of these cabinets are just vinyl wrapped. Beautiful stuff. The walls are vinyl wrapped. Everything you see that looks modern and like fantastic construction isn’t. It’s just vinyl wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33B26A67-8614-483D-8CC1-7218FC77FDC9.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	262637   Click image for larger version

Name:	B22E4222-BD07-4B2E-933B-08687B484FE7.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	262638  

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 23:16   #2

Re: Vinyl Wrap the World

I was on a Swan 80( the Wally look) doing some engine work and they got the lightweight panel thing to amazing light weight. One of the crew dropped a heavy part on the companionway steps and broke the end off one... foam sandwich with the thinnest veneer of some pale timber. the seats around the saloon table were carbon fibre on an arched cantilever like a very elegant tractor seat.... totally excellent but a nightmare for an oily engineer dismantling a generator.
Yes, I reckon the wrap would work provided the panels are smooth and the installer does the job well.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:42   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I was on a Swan 80( the Wally look) doing some engine work and they got the lightweight panel thing to amazing light weight. One of the crew dropped a heavy part on the companionway steps and broke the end off one... foam sandwich with the thinnest veneer of some pale timber. the seats around the saloon table were carbon fibre on an arched cantilever like a very elegant tractor seat.... totally excellent but a nightmare for an oily engineer dismantling a generator.
Yes, I reckon the wrap would work provided the panels are smooth and the installer does the job well.

Yeah. I mean right tools for the right job. Or in this case rate materials for the right job. I’m a strong believer of that. I’ve never make steps out of anything that the hull isn’t made out of. Too risky. Sometimes there’s a lot of weight going on those and a lot of momentum.

I was thinking more for the cabinetry liking my pictures. Just something that holds the dishes in place.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:18   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m sure you are aware Hanse 3D printed a 38’ yacht then stuffed a traditional 37’ Hanse interior more or less.
Their have been experiments printing complete kitchens.
The advantage of 3D printing over fragile laminated is the inner structure so although I can print in PA11-CF I can use only 40% density with a stronger panel than same material solid inject mould.
I can print teak oak mahogany with 25% real wood fibre. You can laminate a 3D print also connect fibres longer than any other method of layup. Foam vinyl skin is old school really. Folk wrap cars bike tanks guns. It a form of abuse on artists everywhere.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:34   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'd think vinyl right on foam would be too easy to damage. It would look good to start, but I'd find it frustrating long term. Over a harder substrate it would be harder to damage I'd expect.

For cabinets, I'd be looking to use a durable top layer over either honeycomb or low density foam to save weight. Or maybe even just thin (like 1/4") plywood (of a light wood type) over a frame.

Don't forget to account for rough seas and the contents of the cabinet potentially banging against the inside.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote