Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 06:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 300
Volvo Penta Used Hydraulic Line for Fuel Line?

I have fuel hose on my 26 year old Volvo Penta 2002 leading to suction side of the fuel pump showing significant cracking. This is the original factory fabricated part 2' long with a banjo fitting crimped on the pump end and a compression fitting crimped on the other. A new one from VP is $220. Unbelievable.

So, I examine it closely to determine what I need to make it myself and discover the hose itself is hydraulic line, not fuel line. Specifically it's SAE 100 R1T 5/16". My company employs a couple of experienced and knowledgeable auto techs, and I went to them with this info, and after confirming that it was for a diesel, they just shrugged. One said hydraulic lines are steel reinforced and resist collapse better, also noting that suction over time can cause the liner inside to separate and collapse creating a diagnostic nightmare. I was going to replace with Marine grade A1-15, but now I'm on the fence. Not sure I need to be concerned about collapse when I burn 2/3 gal./hr. at cruising speed.

I'm still perplexed by the notion of Volvo Penta using non-approved hose for this application. Not the first time I've seen a manufacturer go their own way on something like this, but even if this is a better approach aren't there liability implications? Perhaps 26 years ago it was a different regulatory/liability environment? Comments?

The rest of my plan is to reuse the fittings. I plan to cut off the outer crimp sleeve and use hose clamps (not worm gear type) to secure to the hose barbs. I figure that's easier and faster than trying to source metric replacements that fit correctly in the current environment. Not sure if the washers are copper or aluminum, but if they are copper I might try to reuse them by flat sanding with 220/400 grit then annealing before installation. If I go with new, I might anneal anyway to make sure I get a good seal.
jigray3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Volvo Penta Used Hydraulic Line for Fuel Line?

Stick with quality A1-15 fuel line, such as Trident #365 Barrier Lined A1-15 Fuel Hose for both gasoline (including ethanol blends) and diesel (including bio diesel blends).
The #365 series exceeds ABYC H-24 & H-33, SAE J1527, ISO 7840, USCG Type A1-15; CARB Executive Order and EPA Certified “Low Permeation” Type A1-10; and is NMMA Type Accepted & CE certified.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 15:55   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Just remembered this post as I was "discussing" a similar thing with Gord on another thread. The USCG requires the use of steel braid reinforced hose on commercial vessels. The hose must meet SAE 1942 Qualified Hoses for Marine Applications and fittings must comply with SAE J1475 Hydraulic Hose Fittings for Marine Use, including crimped ends (no barbs/clamps). Before 1992 the USCG maintained a list of suitable hoses, in late 1991 they coordinated with SAE to create these standards that incorporated the same requirements.

I suspect, but cannot prove or confirm, that the OEM Volvo hose complies with these requirements. The 200x engines were sold in a SOLAS lifeboat use configuration and for other commercial uses and I'd guess that Volvo were meeting those more stringent standards.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 18:28   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 300

That would explain a lot, in this case. Great information, helps me decide what approach I may take. For my application, it seems the OEM part is overkill. Not one to downgrade anything, but in this case it seems reasonable. I appreciate your kind response.
jigray3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, penta, volvo