Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 09:08   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26ft
Re: Want to order a custom switch, but don't know how to ask for what I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholovacs View Post
I'm installing a new AIS transponder on my boat. Coming off the device, there are 2 wires for "AIS Transmit"... basically, if you close the circuit between them, the AIS transponder will transmit the info, and if the circuit is open, it's in "receive only mode"... which is nice, since I usually keep the radio/ ais receiver on while I'm in the boat just to keep aware of what's going on.

What I'd like to do is order a custom illuminated rocker switch for AIS XMIT, where it's lit on one side so you can see it, but when you turn it on, the other side lights up and closes the circuit.

The problem is... the lighted switches I'm seeing are expecting to be powered through the switch, i.e., sending 12v through the circuit for the lights but also through the closed circuit, instead of just closing it. I don't want to get sophisticated with powering some relay or the like (just one more thing to break), so I'm hoping to find a rocker switch of some standard size (such that I can order a custom face for it) that has one light always on (assuming power is available), one light that comes on when the switch is turned on, and a separate circuit that is not connected to power but just closes when the switch is turned on.

Does such a thing exist? What would it be called/ named/ designated? Where could I find such a thing?

Failing that, I'd also be ok with a pushbutton switch, but with the same basic criteria: I can find it in the dark, I can tell when it's on, and I can get a custom face for it.

All assistance is appreciated, thanks
here is a 12v switch illuminated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Led-...oAAOSwov5eY38~
Flamehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:28   #17
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Want to order a custom switch, but don't know how to ask for what I want

You want a Double-Pole Double-Throw (DPDT) lighted rocker switch @12v DC

It has to be DC and 12v nominal if you want the light to work. You'll need to feed a separate fused 12v circuit to feed the light. Read the schematics so as NOT to backfeed power into the AIS or you will likely fry the unit and void the warranty. Light will be on either when AIS is on or off depending on how you wire it up and prefer it.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PB7JDI..._.5EKEbSEXYFHH
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote