Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2023, 12:00   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Want to semi permanently tack something to deck

I would like to put some small solar panels on my foredeck right in front of the mast and coachroof. These are 50 watt panels, maybe I can fit a 75. Flexible.

Easiest way I can think of is to velcro them down. Then can peel them off when I need to.

I remember reading that you can get different strengths of velcro (assuming based on number of loops?). If so, what am I looking for?

Second, I need to adhere strips to the deck and the back of the panels. I don't care if I ever get the strips off the panels, but I would like to be able to get them off the deck (if I need a new panel of different size, etc.)

Or if you have an easier simpler way to securing the panels, I am all ears. I know people have just tied them on while away, then put them in cabine while sailing.

I am not up on foredeck much, I just daysail, so rarely standing right in front of mast and wanted to leave the panel on most of the time.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 12:20   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Want to semi permanently tack something to deck

If where you would be sticking them to is smooth or at least relatively smooth I have had luck with these and like them. I use them to attach line bags and covers on hatches and windows. They are not sharp, rough, or in other way uncomfortable to step on.

https://www.sailrite.com/YKK-SNAD-40...d-Domed-Socket

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 12:35   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
If where you would be sticking them to is smooth or at least relatively smooth I have had luck with these and like them. I use them to attach line bags and covers on hatches and windows. They are not sharp, rough, or in other way uncomfortable to step on.

Foster

Interesting- useful for some other projects
Old 27-06-2023, 12:49   #4

Boat: Passport 41

This is how secured a 50W panel to my deck. 5200-like adhesive on that plastic thing (which needed to be sanded otherwise the adhesive wouldn't stick). Been there only two days, but I've pulled pretty hard on it so I'm confident it'll be fine in most sailing conditions. Of course, you waste 4 cable ties every time you remove it

Not really proud of this but it is what I could do with the stuff I had on handClick image for larger version

Name:	20230627_144244.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	277397

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 17:34   #5

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post

Foster
Thanks. Great find. But snaps won't fit solar panels well. I think this is better for more 'bendy' material.

Also, how do you adhere the snaps, not the white female mount?

I purchased some velcro industrial strength tape, https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-..._dp&th=1&psc=1

will see how this works.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck