Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2022, 20:15   #1

Water air vent location

Is there any reason why i cant put my fresh water air vent lines on the interior of the boat instead of on the outside of the hull?

I was thinking high up inside of a wet locker about three to four feet above the water line.

Im adding a second fresh water tank in the v-berth so need to add a new vent. I cant think of any downsides. I though maybe it would add to humidity levels inside the boat but my boat never seems to ever drop much below 70% humidity anyways. As long as its high enough to not leak when healed over 30+ degrees...
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 20:54   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Water air vent location

Well...spiders. You are not going to believe this but it’s a scientific fact.
Spiders drink water.
We are not sure if they can smell water but it’s a good guess they can.
So...
The manatee crew will sit up tonight with night goggles and report back about
Spider-Man
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 21:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
W
The manatee crew will sit up tonight with night goggles and report back about
Spider-Man

lol....damn. i do have a lot of spiders aboard. A couple very big ones at that. I often wonder how the heck they do survive. I dont see any other bugs. Maybe i could install one of those bug zappers right over the screen to deter trespassers

Is that really why they put them on the outside of the hull? I suppose i could put it further towards the bow so no salt water gets in if the rails get burried under water.
Old 01-01-2022, 21:07   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The land-side and RV codes say that water tanks vents must be screened to keep bugs out. Kinna obvious, but not in USCG or ABYC. Go figure.

I have a screen, and during annual cleanings there are always dead bugs in it.

One advantage of having the vent outside is that if you leave the water running and over fill the tank, the boat does not sink. Just sayin', it happened to a guy in my town. I've seen boats with the vent/overflow into the sink.
Old 01-01-2022, 21:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The land-side and RV codes say that water tanks vents must be screened to keep bugs out. Kinna obvious, but not in USCG or ABYC. Go figure.

I have a screen, and during annual cleanings there are always dead bugs in it.

One advantage of having the vent outside is that if you leave the water running and over fill the tank, the boat does not sink. Just sayin', it happened to a guy in my town. I've seen boats with the vent/overflow into the sink.

Yeah that makes sense. all my vents are screened and the new one i just ordered is screened as well. What i never understood is why they put the fresh water vents on the outside of the hull on the centerline just below the decks. I know thats where the water tanks are but...

My boat has a generous freeboard, 34" i think if i remember correctly. i havnt done any serious offshore sailig with it yet but surely the vents will spend some time submerged and frsh water could get contaminated?

I am replacing those tanks and think i will move the vents towards the stern where water would rarely cover even when heeled generously.

At least they did install them with a reverse drip loop though. Maybe thats enough to keep the salt water out.
Old 01-01-2022, 22:51   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: Our two 400 l water tanks have their vent lines inside the vessel with loops that reach to near deck level. No issues in the 18 years we have owned her, and no screens either... but that is a trivial addition if needed.

Jim
Old 01-01-2022, 23:22   #7
NBs

Boat: NT37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
lol....damn. i do have a lot of spiders aboard. A couple very big ones at that. I often wonder how the heck they do survive. I dont see any other bugs. Maybe i could install one of those bug zappers right over the screen to deter trespassers

Is that really why they put them on the outside of the hull? I suppose i could put it further towards the bow so no salt water gets in if the rails get burried under water.
Hi,

install the pipe high inside the cabinet to let it run up and turn down the appropriate point to come out of the hull. this way the salt water will not come into your tank while sailing unless you decide to make a 360 ° spin, but then there are already other worries.

NBs
NBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 00:06   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

My boat was built with inside vents. They overflow into the bilge so I fill the tanks until the automatic bilge pump turns on. I know the tank if full and I get a little bit of a bilge rinse at the same time. Never caused a problem.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:52   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

My rwo water tanks vent to the centerline galley sink
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:16   #10

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

I sail a Westerly Oceanlord.
The vent is high up in the forward head, port side and just above deck height.
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:05   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-2

On our boat, all the tank vents (water, fuel, waste) are on the upper part of the transom. Total 6. I added another vent for the waste tank, and put it around the corner on the side of the hull just forward of the transom, so there would always be some pressure differential, but still be in a place unlikely to get submerged.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:55   #12

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

My water tanks have a 1.5" screw-in plug with a schraeder (tire) valve insert: Air goes in, no water come out.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:26   #13

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Our water vents are inside the hull and have those plastic slotted thru hull things on the end which we remove when filling the tanks. We have never seen any bugs come out into a bucket with the overflow. We never connect a dock hose to the boat and walk away. We dock only for fuel and water or if we are repairing stuff.
Spiders do drink water but they probably get enough from their webs as dew.
The manatee crew has never seen them on pizza or in aluminum beer cans.
We kinda like a reasonable number of spiders onboard as their webs catch a lot of gnats. A spider bite leaves two dots close together and that’s when we start squishing them.
We have the fast jumper light brown types. Not sure what species. Big eyes.
Very fascinating to watch.
Happy New Year.
Mark and crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:11   #14

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
My rwo water tanks vent to the centerline galley sink
+1
Our boat came with the vent lines mounted where the sink faucet is, and they drain into the sink. Keeps the worries out of everything
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:21   #15

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

dont know how common thiss is but on my old 1972 Formosa 41 The water tank vents run up inside the safety rail stansions, and vent out were cables run through them. It has worked well all these years and near impossible to take saltwater in even if gunnel is in the water.
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water