Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2005, 11:09   #46
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Update on the tank

Now completed the job and everything seems OK.

I got about 99.5% percent of the inside of the tank covered with several coats of epoxy.

I let the stuff cure for several weeks then closed up the tank and installed new hoses and a fresh filter.

There is virtually no smell or taste from the water and bassed on that I can say the operation was successfull.

Now on the third tank and the water seems a little better each time.

After the current tankfull of water have been sitting for a few weeks, I will take a sample and have it analyzed.
Just to make sure it is good quality water.

All in all the project took longer than I thought, mostly because of the drying time and having to do the same areas over and over to make sure every nook and cranny got covered,

Now only a few more projects left, then I will be done with this old boat..(Yeah Right.. )
Old 30-10-2005, 13:23   #47

Boat: Privilege 37
I suspect that you , like me, will reach that point of crossing off the last item on the to-do list , at about the same time as you place the boat on the market for trade up to the boat "you really always wanted"
Old 30-10-2005, 18:52   #48

Quote:
I suspect that you , like me, will reach that point of crossing off the last item on the to-do list , at about the same time as you place the boat on the market for trade up to the boat "you really always wanted"
He-he, good point and ya are almost spot on.

But not quite:

My first boat was a Blue water racer/cruiser: 44 feet long and the ultimate in mono-hull crusing..Back then anyway.
She won the 1957 Newport to Bermuda race and was a blue-blood race horse..I saw 10.5 knots under sail and the previous owner swore up and down that 12 knots was under his belt.
Good cruiser she was also with plenty of room and storage for a couple, and heavy enough to run into harms way without foundering like a balsa sandwich.

Now that I have a smaller and slower boat 20 years later, I don't miss the bigger boat and I am not saving money or praying for a bigger and better boat...(Dear God, just a few feet more )

Not this cowboy.

I am happy with my little tubby stubby CSY 33 and whenever I sail her on the Bahamas I am really in heaven.
She may not be fast in light breezes, but when the Gulfstream gets nasty without warning and the sh!t are really hitting the fan, she is relaible as a hammer and the crew gets home in one piece every time.

If a million dollars drifted my way however I could see an Oyster 55 @ my dock, with a $100,000.00 per year maintenance and operational budget, including the guy doing the teak and the mildew and the oil-changes and carrying the groceries and the beer cases onboard.

If the lotto ticket does not hit the sweet-spot however, I am quite happy with the present boat, especially since most of the projects are already done and uh, with only a few small projects left.

(Yeah right )
Old 30-10-2005, 19:12   #49

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. In general, I support fixing the root problem, but sometimes treating the symptom is less painful than fixing the base cause.

We have fresh water storage similar in volume to yours. We feel it is safe to drink if not always tasty. We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. While cruising, this comes from our small water maker. Rain and dock water go into the tank as well as any extra capacity from the water maker.

Ours is a Pur 40E, only about 1 ½ gph but plenty for cooking and drinking for 2 people with a little extra capacity to reduce draw down on the tanks. It always smells and tastes fresh.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 19:52   #50

Quote:
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Yes, sometimes it is.

In my case however the disease was gettin to the point of not being usable for drinking as even the salty old sailors was complaining of the taste and smell.

The cure was a bunch of work for me, but not a lot of money.
(Material cost for the West System epoxy and the foam brushes probably came to around $50.00 or $60.00 US dollars, a few more pesos for the rubber gaskets and the silicon sealant and the new SS screws for the inspection plates and so on..All in all right around 100 dollars US currency...A bit less than $4,000.00 for a water maker.

Quote:
We use bottled water for drinking and cooking. While cruising, this comes from our small water maker.
So which is it..?
Bottled water for drinking, OR watermaker water..?

Can't spend the big bucks on a new tank or a fancy watermaker, therefore I coated the tank instead, hoping to improve the taste and the smell of the onboard water.

It seems to work...So far, so good.