Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21   #1

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M
Water tanks s/steel /aluminum or ?

Hi, have to install two new water tanks, nothing off the shelf seems to fit, whats the most popular construction material for this. Thank you in advance for your comments
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Water tanks s/steel /aluminum or ?

Have you checked Ronco plastics ?
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:35   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Rotomolded Polyethelyne (sp?). They're plastic tanks which literally come in 1,001 sizes & shapes, so that finding ones which are a custom fit isn't tough. Plus they can in fact custom make them as well, at fairly low cost. And one of their big perks is that you can have whatever fittings you like put into the tanks where ever you like.
Also, they don't rust, are light weight, inexpensive, & it's easy to see how much fluids are in them since they're translucent.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39   #4

Don't use aluminum. I had alum access covers on water tanks once, you don't want to know what the white creamy muck that accumulates on alum water tanks looks like!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

In order of preference... Plastic, plastic, plastic, then plastic, and finally titanium. I HATE metal water or fuel tanks. It's a corrosion problem waiting to happen. They can last for years, or you can wind up replacing them in five, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to effect which it is. It's all down to voodoo (yes I really believe this).

It's like being hit by lightning. On guy replaces his watch battery and the surge protector and is all good, the boat next door blew three the hulls out and is replacing his boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:54   #6
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Don't use aluminum. I had alum access covers on water tanks once, you don't want to know what the white creamy muck that accumulates on alum water tanks looks like!
i agree with this. i just opened up my 35 year old aluminum water tanks to take a look inside. basically most of the inside of the tank was a gooey white muck of dissolved aluminum. i dont know if its harmfull to drink from corroded aluminum tanks but it does make the water taste metallic. i would rather not take the chance.

personally i'm going to replace mine with stainless steel and make sure to have a reasonably large access cover on the top so i can get inside and clean them once in a while.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Not Aluminum! That stuff that Cheechako mentioned said disgusting
Ronco has about 500 different sizes and shapes of good plastic tanks. Don't forget you can turn them any way you want and Ronco will install the fittings where ever you want.
Make one of them work even if you have to give up some capacity.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:20   #8

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M

Thank you for the replies, looks like s/steel as I am currently in south Africa and there is not much choice with off the shelf available
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't think the milky substance is Aluminum Oxide, that stuff is hard like diamonds, they use it in sandpaper I believe. I'd bet it is what we call down South Lime, or calcium carbonate that has precipitated out of hard water. Same stuff you see on kitchen sinks wherever the water comes from a limestone aquifer.

But plastic is preferable if for no other reason than you can "shock" the water with chlorine, something you may want to avoid with metal tanks.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think the milky substance is Aluminum Oxide, that stuff is hard like diamonds, they use it in sandpaper I believe. I'd bet it is what we call down South Lime, or calcium carbonate that has precipitated out of hard water. Same stuff you see on kitchen sinks wherever the water comes from a limestone aquifer.

But plastic is preferable if for no other reason than you can "shock" the water with chlorine, something you may want to avoid with metal tanks.
In my case it was only on the aluminum lids. The rest of the tank was not aluminum, so it's related to the Al in some way. It was hanging down in stalactite formations but soft and rubbery/gooey.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In my case it was only on the aluminum lids. The rest of the tank was not aluminum, so it's related to the Al in some way. It was hanging down in stalactite formations but soft and rubbery/gooey.
The hard white patina is aluminium oxide and yes is used in abrasives. The white goo is aluminium chloride.

I'll say it again metal water tanks are stupid. Unless you spring for titanium, in which case you are stupid because they are crazy expensive, though they don't suffer corrosion problems. Plastic all the way.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:46   #12

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have a 1979 globe with a dual 55 gal SS tank. 110 gal in all. They look pristine on the inside and the outside aren't bad either. Best of all never a plastic taste.
Old 06-09-2016, 13:07   #13

Boat: Vancouver 27

I made my own integral tanks a few years back out of fiberglass and plywood baffles. You can source food-grade epoxy coatings and can install massive inspection ports to make regular cleaning an easy chore.

It's more work than sourcing a pre-made tank, but payoffs are worth considering. You end up adding strength to the hull, you keep every square inch of the hull accessible, and you maximize the usable space.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 13:09   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Stumble, you really prefer plastic fuel tanks? Right with you on plastic water tanks - I wish my stainless steel one was plastic instead, but wouldn't a plastic fuel tank be a rather unwelcome addition to an engine room fire?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 19:15   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Stumble, you really prefer plastic fuel tanks? Right with you on plastic water tanks - I wish my stainless steel one was plastic instead, but wouldn't a plastic fuel tank be a rather unwelcome addition to an engine room fire?
Six of one half dozen of the other. Plastic tanks can melt spilling fuel on the fire. Metal tanks heat up until the fuel flashes and causes an explosion destroying the boat in a fraction of a second.

The best option is to not install fuel tanks inside the engine room.

For water tanks... The plastic tank can leak and help put out the fire, metal tanks will heat up until the steam preassure excedes the ability of the tank to hold it, at which point high preassure steam is released in some random direction, likely cutting thru whatever is in its way.

Tags
aluminum, steel, tanks, water