Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2010, 05:42   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Watermaker - New Kid on the Block

If you are looking for a water maker that has low power needs and is relatively inexpensive have a look here. SeaMaker Specifics, Watermakers, marine watermakers, cruising watermakers, boat watermakers, Cruising RO, Cruise RO Water

I've no connection at all with this company but it's owned by a cruiser who knows how annoying it is to have that 'marine' premium built into the price.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 11:13   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Thanks for the link, but they're too big for my needs. I'm looking for 40/80 gpd, not gph.
Old 23-10-2010, 12:10   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
LOL I was thinking thats exactly the size I would like. 30 or 45 gph. Thats enough for goos water usage. If you are going to blow that kinda money ($5k on the watermaker, $1k-$2k on the petrol genny and plus instalation) then you wanna be able to de-smell anytime

But that price is much better

Thanks for the link, Paige.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:42   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
Thanks for the link, but they're too big for my needs. I'm looking for 40/80 gpd, not gph.
But why do you want the fuel cost and wear and tear to make 40/80 per day when you can get the job done in 1 hour?
Old 25-10-2010, 07:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
But why do you want the fuel cost and wear and tear to make 40/80 per day when you can get the job done in 1 hour?

Ditto.

I was actually thinking 2 smaller water makers in case of breakdown but after reading around one and some spare parts will work. Still I would want an over sized one that could do it fast.
dreamer38851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:03   #6
cruiser

I'm currently considering an 8 GPH small DC watermaker ("Little Wonder"). We use about 10 gallons a day without strict conservation. Unless we're doing laundry, we never use more than 20 gallons a day. We often run our genset for 3 hours a day and a DC watermaker means we can make water for "free" whenever we're moving (we're a trawler).

My thinking is that we can make up any water loss in our water tank (400 gallons) whenever we move and keep up with a large amount of our daily use.

I've seen very few boat that do this. Most have much larger AC watermakers that require a generator for use. I really like the idea of making water while moving since the alternators aren't' generally working hard (twin engines).

What am I missing?
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:22   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post

What am I missing?
IMHO (although I am not "H") you are missing the exponential increase in the water used between now and when you have increased capacity.

You have been stable on 20gpd with a set water usage.... Say you allow 100gpd all of a sudden you can shower in the morning and after a long hot day shower before dinner! That might make a total lifestyle change for you that is extreemly welcome In years to come you might say: Remember when we only took a fresh water shower once per week?

Thats just an example as for you, persoanly 20gpd may be fine. I use about 20 gallons per WEEK

We was colthes in salt water and rinse (twice ) in fresh. shower using 1 litre spray bottles. So a water replacement water maker aint gunna make my life much better... it needs to exponentially increase.

So, all I can advise is to pretend you are at home on land with total disregard for water, how much is used, then work out whats really going to make your life comfortable whilst being affordable.

I would LOVE a watermaker! Then I could be truly independant for months at a time... but lifechanging would be to have a propper shower whenever I like

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 10:24   #8

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I've seen them mentioned here and there. I'm curious to see if anyone has installed one of their units and how it is holding up for them?

The husband is keen to add a watermaker, I've been put off by cost. This looks a much more doable option...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker