Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 23:30   #1

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat
Waterproof Ideas for the Aft Deck

Nothing has been drummed into me more in this forum than, that every effort must be made to keep rain water from seeping into the timber hull.

I have uploaded an image of the aft deck area, where the hull sides and floor do nothing more than invite rain water to perform their evil deed to the hull.

In the interim, I have picked up that sprinkling salt around the area will help raise the salinity level a bit, because salty water does not promote rotting.

Please tell me someone wasn't pulling my leg.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas, with pictures would be super cool on how to put materials together to prevent water in this area emptying into the bilge.

At the moment, I can lift all 4 floor panels to expose the hull. At minimum, I need to be able to have a lid or panel that would give me access to the shaft coupling.

ps: How do you rotate the image after it is uploaded?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200106_121450.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	206389  
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Waterproof Ideas for the Aft Deck

Salt water may promote rotting less than fresh, but salting your boat down is not going to stop the wood from rotting if it gets continually wet. A boom tent or bimini would be one way to approach the problem of keeping the rain out.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:42   #3

Brilliant suggestion, ... I was coming to a dead end in relation to ways to waterproof the aft deck. This is due to my inexperience with timber boats (and getting old).

Now I have a jump start for an idea, and will now comb through the internet for examples.

I'm thinking that a cover buttoned to the top of the wheelhouse and down the sides of the aft deck might be a good solution?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	213446-190054.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	206517  
Old 07-01-2020, 19:36   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonut View Post
Brilliant suggestion, ... I was coming to a dead end in relation to ways to waterproof the aft deck. This is due to my inexperience with timber boats (and getting old).

Now I have a jump start for an idea, and will now comb through the internet for examples.

I'm thinking that a cover buttoned to the top of the wheelhouse and down the sides of the aft deck might be a good solution?
Hi, what you need is a cover that directs the rain water (yes I'm sure we will eventually get some) over the side not allowing much into the cockpit but bieng an old timber boat you MUST have good ventilation as well. One of the best methods for your situation would probably be a simple boom from the aft edge of the wheelhouse to the transom held up on an A frame at the transom, or a fitting on the mast? aft, and a simple tent like cover fitted over it. Allows ventilation and directs rainwater overboard.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 20:19   #5

Hi Uncle Bob,

At Berowra Waters we've had some rain albeit very small. That's what's great about this forum ... I didn't think 'Ventilation'.

The Stern of the boat is shaped like the front of a canoe. No transom.

Conceptually, is this what you're suggesting (refer image). A taunt wire from the mast to the underside of the wheelhouse roof.

The mast is not used, and I do wonder if I can simply remove the mast from the back and the front, then fill the holes.

Drape the cover over the wire. Have the cover buttoned to the sides, and leave the very back of the cover open. As you said, like a tent.

This will give me cover and also time to do something nicer with the aft deck area without the rush. Plus, I need to save some more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img20200108_15080596.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	206520  
Old 07-01-2020, 20:46   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonut View Post
Hi Uncle Bob,

At Berowra Waters we've had some rain albeit very small. That's what's great about this forum ... I didn't think 'Ventilation'.

The Stern of the boat is shaped like the front of a canoe. No transom.

Conceptually, is this what you're suggesting (refer image). A taunt wire from the mast to the underside of the wheelhouse roof.

The mast is not used, and I do wonder if I can simply remove the mast from the back and the front, then fill the holes.

Drape the cover over the wire. Have the cover buttoned to the sides, and leave the very back of the cover open. As you said, like a tent.

This will give me cover and also time to do something nicer with the aft deck area without the rush. Plus, I need to save some more.

Not quite, I would not fasten the tent like cover to the sides of the wheelhouse, rather attach the centre of the forward edge of the cover to the centre of the rear edge of the cabin roof then down to the cockpit coamings, fastening to the outside edge of the coamings. Not quite as waterproof but way better for ventilation.
If the distance from the aft mast to the cabin is not too great you may be able to fashion a support for the cover utilising a boathook, dual use.
The shape of the stern of your boat is not dissimilar to the shape of my Fisher, although yours looks a little finer than the Fisher.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, water