Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 09:10   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Welding at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The heat from an oxy set will warp the plate,
I guess all those airplane builders, sheet metal artists, custom car builders have had it wrong all these years - thank goodness you're here to set them straight.

Quote:
Its too bloody slow, he knows nothing about welding, let alone oxy welding, He has 6 hours between tides unless he hauls it out, Twenty minutes with a welder, the jobs done, including cutting the offending bit out,
A cutting torch will take out an "offending bit" in a fraction of the time an angle grinder will. O-A takes no more time than TIG. The best way to learn about welding is to start with oxy.

Quote:
As for penetration, you know nothing about welding either,
I guess the pipeline welders also have it wrong. And all those battleships built prior to WWII with 5" thick plate didn't get proper penetration either.

Quote:
Weldall electrodes dont need preheating or an oven.
After he opens the packet, how is he supposed to "keep them very dry"? Your words. You mentioned low-hydrogen sticks - they need to be kept in an unopened pack, or will need to be dried out.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 09:47   #17

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

More compact solution.. High-amperage alternator and welder specs - Premier Power Welder
there's also a SA manufacturer around which I believe has been on the market much longer but don't find it anymore..
Something about installation etc.. Alternator/Welder - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
And how to DIY.. How to Turn an Alternator Into a Welder | eHow.com
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:00   #18

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I guess all those airplane builders, sheet metal artists, custom car builders have had it wrong all these years - thank goodness you're here to set them straight.

A cutting torch will take out an "offending bit" in a fraction of the time an angle grinder will. O-A takes no more time than TIG. The best way to learn about welding is to start with oxy.

I guess the pipeline welders also have it wrong. And all those battleships built prior to WWII with 5" thick plate didn't get proper penetration either.

After he opens the packet, how is he supposed to "keep them very dry"? Your words. You mentioned low-hydrogen sticks - they need to be kept in an unopened pack, or will need to be dried out.
They come in a plastic container and you just put the lid back on.

For your information, I am a professional Welder with 49 years experience,
I weld in all mediums 100 % XRAY quality. Including Forge welding,
I am on LLoyds register of shipping surveyors, I can weld any where in the world,
I am a also Certificated pressure Welder

This man is a novice, He has to start some where, And thats what I am doing, helping a novice,

The low hydrogen electrodes were purely an example to those that can weld, describing the capability of the machine and the amperage it puts out,

It is better to have people think you are a fool, than open your mouth and prove it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:37   #19

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
It may be slow, but he did say it was for repairs, not production. Not any more likely to warp the plate than with any other method. I have no idea what you mean about penetration; as with any welding method, preparation and technique will take care of that.

O-A may have its disadvantages, but he won't need to generate a whack of energy, worry about being electrocuted, or invest in an electrode oven.
You obviously have no idea of what you're talking about.
Up until the summer of 2008, with the exception of time in Navy, Coast Guard & Asia, I worked for over 30 years as a welder, fitter/fabricator, boilermaker, & weld inspector. Much of this was in the shipyards & drydocks in Vancouver. I'm not interested in arguing with you, but you are doing this guy a real disservice by suggesting that he use oxy-fuel for welding repairs on his boat. "Mr B" obviously knows what he's talking about as well.

As for those who drag Brent's name up every time a steel-related question comes up, I agree with Dave(moderator) that it is not necessary/acceptable to have personal clashes on these forums. You can read the discussions on boatdesign.net & make up your own mind(s).

To the OP: a little portable inverter or alternator-run welder will do everything you need & a very small oxy-fuel cutting set & 4.5" or 5" angle grinder with zip-cut will aid you in your projects. But, as has been suggested, take some welding classes at the local tech school so you really know what you're doing. One benefit will be that you'll be able to do jobs for others, as well.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:58   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

MOD Hat On: Remember the “Be Nice Rule”

MOD Hat Off: OK, I’ll throw my $0.02 into this fray.... Assuming the OP is talking emergency repairs, there are several 12VDC rigs that would run off your battery bank. Good old DC stick welding. Alternator welders are also available... check the off-road 4WD sites, there are several. Forget Oxy-Acet for welding.. especially plates immersed in water on one side.

A trick we used on the tugs was to dip rods in paraffin wax to keep them dry.. they flamed a bit, but never sputtered!
Old 28-08-2011, 18:59   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: WELDING at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hunt down member Brent Swain on this forum. I beleive he has plans for an onboard welder. He builds and sells plans for steel boats.
I think Brent split from this forum.

Don't know how to reach him now.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 20:08   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

For a field emergency, you can weld with a battery, some battery cables and some rod. Its hell on the battery, but it does for quick n dirty repairs.The off road crowd came up with that as far as I know.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 21:04   #23

Boat: Santana 25
See what happens when you light the fuse on a couple Boilermakers !!! Add alcohol and many an ironworker or two. Just stand back and enjoy the show.
You can always tell a boilermaker, you just can't tell him much .
Keep the faith brothers !!!
Tom
Boilermakers local 549
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 21:15   #24

IMHO.
DC reverse polarity (negative ground)
E7018 (dry)
3/32 to 1/8 diameter
Preheat to remove moisture
Clean each pass with a power brush
# 10 filter lens in hood
clear safety glasses

When welding, fire is your friend and gravity is your enemy. If you are having trouble, turn your machine up !!!
Old 28-08-2011, 21:16   #25

See above for mild steel
Old 28-08-2011, 21:34   #26

Be carful using a generator for welding. A generator can and will work it's heart out for you and burn itself up trying to give you what you ask.
In an emergency it will work good but give it time to cool down ( duty cycle)
Use smaller electrode and keep a tight arc. Many good machines are on the market now. I like Lincoln myself but others are just as good. All you need is a SMAW ( stick metal arc welding) machine.
Don't worry with other process yet. All you need is a hood, some dry electrode, a chipping hammer and a wire brush
A 5 1/2" grinder also will help you a lot.
Get some carbon steel plate (mild steel)
And practice, practice, practice !!!
IMHO
Tom
Old 28-08-2011, 21:37   #27

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom View Post
See what happens when you light the fuse on a couple Boilermakers !!! Add alcohol and many an ironworker or two. Just stand back and enjoy the show.
You can always tell a boilermaker, you just can't tell him much .
Keep the faith brothers !!!
Tom
Boilermakers local 549
LOL, yeah we are a bunch of crotchety old bstrds by the time we're in our 30s, ain't we, bro? Glad you mentioned the lo-hi, wouldn't want him welding COR-TEN w/6013.
Mike
Marine Workers & Boilermakers 1/Marine & Shipbuilders 506/Boilermakers Lodge 191/Iron Workers 97
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 21:56   #28

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
For a field emergency, you can weld with a battery, some battery cables and some rod. Its hell on the battery, but it does for quick n dirty repairs.The off road crowd came up with that as far as I know.
This can be done even with the little batts in disposible cameras. My students used to bring "Zappers" that would shock the snot out of you to school that they made before the age of 12 with the help of You Tube. I know it works because we welded paperclips in class using a disposible camera.

Foolishness can be a damn good teacher!
Old 28-08-2011, 22:00   #29

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom View Post
IMHO.
When welding, fire is your friend and gravity is your enemy. If you are having trouble, turn your machine up !!!
So perrrrfectly described!
Old 28-08-2011, 22:27   #30

To learn the art of welding I joined the Boilermaker's Union (104). For less than $600 (about), they will teach you to weld. Serious professional welding. I HIGHLY recommend you look into it.
- Good Luck!
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote