Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 21:04   #31

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Well constructed wood hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pacific View Post
A wood boat is alive, and to me it give a lot more saticfaction when sailing than a glass boat, and I have done long passages on both.
You do you mean with "alive". One make of boat I hope to own once is an RM. These are made of plywood, but are reputed to have hulls that are incredibly stiff.
K_V_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 21:39   #32

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I have run wooden boats for over 20 years, hear is a rough estimate on where my maintenance time goes;
Rig and sails - about 15%
Engine and machinary - about 20%
Electrical systems including autopilots batteries & charging etc - about 35%
Interior fittings and deck fittings - about 15%
Hull - about 15%

So if fiberglass only takes half as much maintenance as wood could save about 7.5% of my maintenance time and money by switching to fiberglass. But you do need more skill for wood...
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:17   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
nothing wrong with a wooden boat ,see if your fiberglass one is still around after 105 years .
F/G came to light in the later 50s. Too early to call that one but a 55 years old boat is not too shabby and as pointed out...a wood boat a century old has usually been built twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I've sailed on a wooden boat that was was officially over a century old. One of the oldest Dutch fishing vessels that still sails. However, during its life about everything on it had been replaced at least once. There was only one single piece of wood in the hull that was still original...
So in a way, just like a building can last forever if properly maintained so can a wooden boat. But there is no reason to assume that a fiberglass boat couldn't last a century or more as well.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I have run wooden boats for over 20 years, hear is a rough estimate on where my maintenance time goes;
Rig and sails - about 15%
Engine and machinary - about 20%
Electrical systems including autopilots batteries & charging etc - about 35%
Interior fittings and deck fittings - about 15%
Hull - about 15%

So if fiberglass only takes half as much maintenance as wood could save about 7.5% of my maintenance time and money by switching to fiberglass. But you do need more skill for wood...
In there lies the answer. Most people now a days do not have the skills or the time, unfortunately.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:22   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
Fiberglass may not look as pretty but it's a lot easier to maintain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Not a lot of romance when it comes to fiberglass, at least not when compared to the beauty of a thoughtfully crafted wood boat.
...Oh...I don't know about that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherubini.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	68274  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have wonderful memories being aboard a S/V very similar to this one in 1983,we went from Jamaica to Haiti to DR back to Jamaica ...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51   #36

Classic Harbor Lines operates a very successful charter business here in NYC that relies on an expanding fleet of drop-dead-gorgeous wood-composite schooners built up the Hudson by Scarano Boat Builders, proof positive of the viability of modern wood boat construction techniques. Examples being the schooners Adirondack and America 2.0.

Also attached is The Spirit of Bermuda, another modern wood composite hull.

Sailing Vessels
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Adirondack.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	68308   Click image for larger version

Name:	America2.0.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	68309  

Name:	SpiritOfBermuda.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	68310  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57   #37

Quote:
Um, you cite the Cherubini 44, a boat with a fiberglass hull but designed to look like a classic wood boat, that prominently features a traditional wood cabin house, as an example of a fiberglass boat with romance?

I guess I would have to agree, but would tend to consider it an exception more than the rule.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08   #38

It's a Cherubini 48. Very expensive Yacht.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cherubini_48_photo.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	68311  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13   #39

Quote:
It's a Cherubini 48. Very expensive Yacht.
opps, my bad. same difference. nice boat.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
opps, my bad. same difference. nice boat.
Well....there lies the problem with modern designs. An under-body is an under-body. From the waterline up, the designers can make the boat look like anything they want. Look at Crealock's Cabo Rico 38. A moderately priced F/G vessel with lovely lines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CABORICO38XLINTERIOR-SAILPLAN.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	68312  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54   #41

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Plastic is just about inert. Nothing wants to eat it. Wood is FOOD. It is lunch for literally trillions of wee little critters that have a bottomless appetite. That's who and what your up against. And as to those beautyfull boats pictured above. Look at that shop. Have any idea what it cost in time love and money to create that kind of space? Lots. And that money comes from the wonderful boat we are feasting our eyes upon. And many others like it. A carvel wooden planked boat is a career. It's a labor of love. Agape', big time! And if your not in love? Don't do it. She won't get better looking over time. I don't agree at all with the above cost percentages. I'm rebuilding a Kadey Krogen 38' cutter. After filling and sanding dingss and dents and oxidized finish, It's been sitting for 6 years. We will paint it and basically forget about it for the next 6+ years. You will be redoing much of what you did last year, year after year. Add to that all of the other aspects engine/rig/hardware/sails all that go with either boat. A Traditionally built carvel planked boat is an endless battle against the forces of nature. And if you take the wooden boat out of the water every year? Well that a whole other can of worms. Did I mention worms? A plastic boat might get blisters, but most likely it won't. And if it does your not going to need to call Noah, or the Gods at wooden Boat magazine. A couple of gorillas with a pot of goop and a box of rollers. That's it. Not very romantic I agree. The only wooden boat building method that is equally functional to a glass boat is a composite constructed boat. Strip cedar, directional diagonal glass in epoxy. So if your about hanging out in the boat yard with the historical aficionados then go for it. If you want to have money left over too actually go sailing,, don't. And by the by, Cherubini 48 never had a glass deck/cabin, same with the last run of 44's. Cost is not relevant either. $150 to $200 for the 44'. What would a carvel planked, built to the same fit and finish cost? Double at minimum. I know the builders. And,,,the idea that there are no beautiful plastic boats is just foolish talk.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40   #42

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Plastic is just about inert. Nothing wants to eat it. Wood is FOOD. It is lunch for literally trillions of wee little critters that have a bottomless appetite. That's who and what your up against. And as to those beautyfull boats pictured above. Look at that shop. Have any idea what it cost in time love and money to create that kind of space? Lots. And that money comes from the wonderful boat we are feasting our eyes upon. And many others like it. A carvel wooden planked boat is a career. It's a labor of love. Agape', big time! And if your not in love? Don't do it. She won't get better looking over time. I don't agree at all with the above cost percentages. I'm rebuilding a Kadey Krogen 38' cutter. After filling and sanding dingss and dents and oxidized finish, It's been sitting for 6 years. We will paint it and basically forget about it for the next 6+ years. You will be redoing much of what you did last year, year after year. Add to that all of the other aspects engine/rig/hardware/sails all that go with either boat. A Traditionally built carvel planked boat is an endless battle against the forces of nature. And if you take the wooden boat out of the water every year? Well that a whole other can of worms. Did I mention worms? A plastic boat might get blisters, but most likely it won't. And if it does your not going to need to call Noah, or the Gods at wooden Boat magazine. A couple of gorillas with a pot of goop and a box of rollers. That's it. Not very romantic I agree. The only wooden boat building method that is equally functional to a glass boat is a composite constructed boat. Strip cedar, directional diagonal glass in epoxy. So if your about hanging out in the boat yard with the historical aficionados then go for it. If you want to have money left over too actually go sailing,, don't. And by the by, Cherubini 48 never had a glass deck/cabin, same with the last run of 44's. Cost is not relevant either. $150 to $200 for the 44'. What would a carvel planked, built to the same fit and finish cost? Double at minimum. I know the builders. And,,,the idea that there are no beautiful plastic boats is just foolish talk.
Your correct about love, but wrong about looking better. My woody looks better every year. It true that wood is food. If it ain't pickled....especially teak decks in the PNW. I fight moss and mildew like crazy around here.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58   #43

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Sure from a personal perspective I agree. http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1320723643000
It's hard to say that this is less beautiful than a similar wooden ship.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 13:01   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many times folk have accused me of having wood hull...rodlmao..my hull ius fg.
looks planked but is definitely solid fiberglass.

i learned on wood owned by a broke apple fqarmer. he didnt spend much money on repairs as he had none. i take after him at present, and prolly rest of my life. he made his own repairs and did his own work. as he was broke, the boat didnt take all his dough. lol
wood is more easily repaired than is fg. only if you know how to do it. and love to do it. my uncle was a helluva an example.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull