Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2009, 04:20   #16

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
I think I said some thing like form follows function, but there's usually no reason why it can't look good while it's doing that.

Proportions are important, and trying to be consistent about them.

Consistency in which way the grain runs counts, too. You can find marine ply with the grain running the 4 foot way, handy fro long thinner pieces like settee fronts or bunk faces, if you decide the large panels should be vertical grain. It can be jarring to see larger faces close to each other with one grain horizontal and the other vertical.

Hiding fasteners wherever possible is a good idea.

Teak is beautiful stuff to work with, but with it's cost being what it is now, I'd consider cherry... maybe satin finish? Depends on whether you're doing the whole interior or not.

I found push button cupboard and drawer latches with metal housings, not plastic, at the boat show">London boat show... Timage, Inc. in England. I probably could find the number at home over the weekend.

And as James said, it takes less time to think it through, especially how it will relate to stuff around it, than it does to do it twice.

Best, Bob http://www.sv-restless.com
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:29   #17

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We have similar sized boat, and I've ALWAYS like the Stevens 47. We chartered them twice, and looked seriously at a couple before buying Merlin. Here's a link to our boat (it's the one used in the writeup), and how it's laid out.

A couple of things we LOVE about this boat:

It's only a 2 cabin boat, in a big 47'. This means the guest cabin - which has it's own settee - is EXTEMELY comfortable.

This also means there's more room EVERYWHERE, since it's not taken up in cabins.

The forward head/shower are all the way forward. That means the big forward hatch is in the SHOWER - you know, the one that never gets closed all the way, or eventually leaks, etc... What a great idea!

MACINTOSH 47

In kind of a rush, but feel free to drop me a line.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 01:17   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

The best "design" thing about my boat is that things were not glued simply for the sake of it.

Makes pulling apart so much easier / doable....after 40 years the odd thing needs a bit of attention.

+1 on the seaberths. I like mine so much I use it in port - with the leecloth .......as keeps me bedding (me?) in place.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 06:28   #19

Boat: Columbia 41
dejef comments that not everyone does CAD. It is easy to learn. You can get an older edition of Autocad LT on eBay for about $100. Just follow the instructions tutorial. Always save into Autocad 2000.

Measure carefully from your boat. Input the dimensions into a CAD file. Using this method you can have wood bulkheads cut. Or stainless steel window trim rings. Or new lexan windows. Or stainless steel countertops. These days almost all cutting machines are computer run. A cad file is uploaded and away they go. The accuracy must be seen to be believed.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 07:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I think you have to be a pretty darn good CAD operator to draw and plot bulk heads with enough accuracy to have/require them to be CNC cut.

Of all the skills required to do a refit CAD is low on the list for me.

Having said that, Sam Plan B is correct that having this skill will be helpful.
But I think the largest benefit is that it enables you to do drawings of individual bits that pieces that can be laser or water jet cut….or even printed for an accurate template.

I’m to stupid to do CAD my self…I draw by hand then have my architect buddy do them in CAD.

Have a look at the winch bits and pieces in the center of my davits...these pieces (except the machine screw) were laser cut, including the bit that receives the winch handle (the inside is under-cut so the handle can be locked)
Of course you still have other fabbing to do.

It would have taken significantly longer to get this level of accuracy doing them by hand, and probably wouldent have done it (theres two)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser cut pieces.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	6875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser cut pieces 2.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	6876  

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 07:59   #21

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Damn thats pretty! Seems to be alot simpler then my way of having trained squirrels nibble all my pieces out. Alot less nibble marks too, and stainless is really hard on their teeth!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 08:09   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
I can only get them to sing Christmas songs.....damn!
Old 24-01-2009, 14:59   #23

Boat: Columbia 41
James S,

I suppose you have a laptop aboard. Try learning with Aucotad LT. You are only drawing a simple one line affair. And if you are already drawing accurately by hand, goodness me, give your architect friend a day off.

I notice from your thum photo that you have big windows facing forward. I have the same on my Columbia 41. I had outside trim rings made from 3/16 stainless, drilled & counter sunk with an inside trim ring to match in aluminum. The new 1/2" tinted lexan is expected nest week. The stainless comes from North Carolina, the lexan from Las Vegas. All should fit together with a 1mm tollerance.

The interior partitions can be cut with a CNC by Chesapeake Light Craft. They make plywood kit boats. If, for example, you had a new mess table made, it could come as a kit in teak vaneer marine ply.

I am no techno fanatic but jeez do the finished products look good.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 15:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I can only get them to sing Christmas songs.....damn!
Thats GOT to get annoying after a while...

Old 26-01-2009, 19:31   #25

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
Hey! I too have a Stevens 47 and I am also planning on extensive interior refit projects. PLEASE... post lots of pictures and/or email me!

Keep us updated on progress!

Terry
Terry I have made some exterior modifications. The rudder and skeg where damaged beyond repair. I opted to build the skeg out carbon and eglass and altered the rudder design to a partial balanced one. Replaced the old hinged bow roller with one that will take a 120# plus anchor and upgraded the windlass. I redesigned the control line setup from mast mounted winches to cockpit led lines rebuilt and strengthened the partner and collar and built clutch mount pad on top of the house/companionway combing. Moved 2 of the mast winches into the cockpit. Just finished the new built in fuel tank, this was expanded from the origanil SS 60 gallon to 120 gallon built with epoxy built a grey water collection tank that fit forward of the new fuel tank. Next job is putting down the sole that I lifted for tank access and below sole plumbing.

Quote:
I think you have to be a pretty darn good CAD operator to draw and plot bulk heads with enough accuracy to have/require them to be CNC cut.
I use Autosketch 9 a light version for plans when needing part made or for my own planning purposes. Having them C&C cut is beyond my experience level.

Thanks all for the pictures and feed back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03502.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	6895   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03505.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	6896  

Name:	DSC03556.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	6897  
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 19:34   #26

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
more pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03638.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	6898   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03640.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	6899  

Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 23:33   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice work.
What did you make those winch bases out of..how are they fixed to the cabin top?
Old 27-01-2009, 04:40   #28

Damn James, he's definitely in the competition! Wow, great work Stevens! Please post more pics of the interior and exterior when you get a chance. I like the well thought out ventilation on deck...she looks like a sweetheart!

Old 27-01-2009, 05:27   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Damn James, he's definitely in the competition! Wow, great work Stevens! Please post more pics of the interior and exterior when you get a chance. I like the well thought out ventilation on deck...she looks like a sweetheart!

You're right Chris.....we're both loosing our shine!!
Old 27-01-2009, 05:34   #30

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Kitchen Bar and Dining Booth

These are the two features of my boat that make the salon the nicest area onboard. The chairs have been replaced by a bench with storage. The booth is separate from the seating in the salon, in the ally between the salon and the aft cabin, with a pass through from the galley. The TV drops down from the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1784923_15.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	6905   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0953.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	6906  

waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote