Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 03:43   #76

Boat: TBA
Re: West System Epoxy help

Hi Dave, lookup ATL's website then west system then go to the product
manual .itis 44 pages but very informative mostly all expoxies need similar treatment,Schionning usually tell or sell builders to use west systems so it would be better to stick with it if that what your boat is built from its good to ask if your not sure if you have real hassles pm me I,m only up the coast built one schionning and fixed up a few and always used west systems

If you wanted to use botecote it's an easier mix usually 2/1and is made in Loganholme the guys there are very helpfully
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:09   #77

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: West System Epoxy help

I went to see the Botecote people, very helpful. They claim thier chemicals are less harmful and I got some really good advice on the different types of glass cloth.

I still have a fair amount of West System left, so I'll stick with that until it's gone, then make a choice.

Just to set the record straight, for my piece of mind and anyone reading this in the future.

Contrary to some comments, until I deliberately changed the mix, the initial mixes that cured quickly in the mixing cup we're at 5 to 1 mixed in the same ratios as the mix that went into the big open flat trays that cured at the advertised rate.

As said by many above..... Thanks

Lots of things influence changes in the speed of onset of cure, the temperature, humidity, airpressure, but most of all quantity in the size container i.e. the larger the mix is and the closeser to a sphere the mix is the faster and more volatile the reaction (heat generated by the reaction creates faster reaction which creates more heat the more confined the mix the more concentrated the heat the more volatile the reaction). The more spread out the mix the more the heat dissipates the slower the reaction.

Tags
epoxy