Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2018, 15:10   #1

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
Wet exhaust hose questions

Hi everybody,
Just bought some 20' of new "Shields marine wet exhaust" made in Canada, certified SAE J200 6RI 200-200".
Size is 2"
Bought the lot very cheap thinking I could use it to replace my original hose on my 1985 Catalina 27.
My Cat 27 hose is wired and the steel wire protrudes in place because of age and occasional overheating.
The wire I bought is NOT WIRED.... I checked on Google.... Great reviews.

1st question: is wired vs not wired that important?
2nd question: the outside diameter on my purchased 2" hose is 2 5/16" and my outside diameter on my existing old hose is 2 1/16"

Given that the non wired hose is more "compressible" that the wired hose do you think that I should make the switch?
Has anyone done it?

Thanks
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 15:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Wet exhaust hose questions

If it’s wet exhaust Marine hose, I’d use it in a wet Marine exhaust.
Shields stuff isn’t junk, or not that I have seen. Of course the wire annoys the stew out of me when I cut a hose, and as you know, the darn stuff rusts at the drop of a hat.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Shields has made a better hose.
It may not be a bad idea to call them and ask?

Being a larger diameter may make it tough to run, depending on how many holes you have to go through. There are tricks to cutting a hole larger with a hole saw. A piece of wood held in by wood screws across the old hole will allow the center bit to have a pilot hole.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 15:26   #3

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Wet exhaust hose questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
Hi everybody,
2nd question: the outside diameter on my purchased 2" hose is 2 5/16" and my outside diameter on my existing old hose is 2 1/16"

Thanks
what is the inside diameter of your original hose?? there seems to be a mismatch!
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 17:17   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
what is the inside diameter of your original hose?? there seems to be a mismatch!
Perhaps not... the new hose does not have the wire reinforcing, and may need the larger wall thickness to compensate.

But a call to the supplier will answer the question better than us guessers.

Jim
Old 14-10-2018, 17:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps not... the new hose does not have the wire reinforcing, and may need the larger wall thickness to compensate.

But a call to the supplier will answer the question better than us guessers.

Jim

really?? a 2-1/16 OD double wall hose with a steel wire will fit a 2" OD fitting?
Old 14-10-2018, 17:45   #6

Quote:

got the outside specs with a caliper... could the difference be the inside thickness be the inside wire load adding to the the OD?
Old 14-10-2018, 17:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
got the outside specs with a caliper... could the difference be the inside thickness be the inside wire load adding to the the OD?

Your existing hose is likely to be around 1-3/4 ID. For example a Shields hose with wire "Series 250 Shieldsflex II Water/Exhaust Hose" with an OD of 2-1/8 has an ID of 1-3/4.

Your new hose has an ID of 2". So that won't work with your existing exhaust fittings, without some McGuivering..
Old 14-10-2018, 18:08   #8

Is your engine an Atomic-4 ? They may have used an even smaller 1-1/2" ID hose then...
Old 14-10-2018, 18:18   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

The wire in a hose serves two purposes, the first is to stop it collapsing closed if it is used as a suction hose and is placed under vacuum and the second is to make it kink resistant.

If the wall thickness or stiffness of the material it is manufactured from is sufficient to resist the slight vacuums exhaust hoses occasionally experience and you can route and secure the hose so that any tendency to kink is prevented you are probably better off in the long term with hose without wire in it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 08:56   #10

Quote:
Is your engine an Atomic-4 ? They may have used an even smaller 1-1/2" ID hose then...
my 2-5/16" OD wired hose is the exhaust on my Universal M 15.... I didn't disconnect the hose yet so no ID measurement at this time.
Old 15-10-2018, 12:35   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If there are no sharp bends and/or gear that may end up on the house compressing it, a non wired hose should work. The wire is there to keep the hose from kinking when making short radius bends or compression. Hose diameter seems excessive, however for a 10-20hp diesel engine typical for a 27' boat. 1 1/2"-1 3/4" ID would be the usual size.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 12:38   #12

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

I don't get it. Your new hose has an OD 1/4" larger than the original and you want to know if what .. it's going to fit ? Really not trying to be a wise guy here but why not just disconnect current arrangement and twist new hose on the end of exhaust pipe or the water/exhaust muffler inlet, outlet, whatever and see how it feels?
p.s.-I just rebuilt the exhaust on a Universal 25 XP and am using the regular, wired wet exhaust hose between exhaust and muffler rather than spend the million dollars on the "bump" hose that Catalina Direct would like to sell which claims to absorb some of the engine vibration that is transmitted thru the exhaust pipes. Sounds like a good idea,, but doesn't fit the budget right now.
Good luck and... Cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 13:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If there are no sharp bends and/or gear that may end up on the house compressing it, a non wired hose should work. The wire is there to keep the hose from kinking when making short radius bends or compression. Hose diameter seems excessive, however for a 10-20hp diesel engine typical for a 27' boat. 1 1/2"-1 3/4" ID would be the usual size.
Thanks.... will soon know the ID of my old hose and compatibility with my newly acquired hose
Old 15-10-2018, 15:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Unwired hose is fine for a wet exhaust but wired hose should be used for connecting the stuffing box to the shaft tunnel if your boat is set up that way. Change this wired hose often as the wires will start to protrude.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 20:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Unwired hose is fine for a wet exhaust but wired hose should be used for connecting the stuffing box to the shaft tunnel if your boat is set up that way. Change this wired hose often as the wires will start to protrude.
You should never use exhaust hose for the stuffing box. Use the proper stuffing box hose made by Buck Algonquin

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreatio...ng-box-hoses-2

It is 5 ply and not wired.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust