Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 15:56   #1

Wet Rudder Dilemma

I'm having some work done to my Cal 2-27 and decided mess around with the spade rudder. I found that the rudder sinks like a rock or its floating spirit has been broken. I drilled out some holes and have been allowing it to weep for the past week or so.I haven't seen any rust and most of the water appears to be caught from the mid point down. Should I open her up and refoam or just let it weep and forget about it? I assume if the rudder was floating it would be so much less strain on the entire system. Are there any shortcuts for this? Like rubbing some crushed mood stabilizers into the drilled spots? I was just looking for someone who has done it and how much of a pain in it will be
endlessbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:28   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Wet Rudder Dilemma

Endless,
If you plan to keep your boat, rebuild. If you're going to sell, it doesn't really matter what you'll do but they'll probably discover it on a survey. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 22-02-2016, 11:44   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Water in rudders is pretty common. The big downside is corrosion on the interior welds and stainless. If you don't want to get into a big job that maybe unneeded, drill some holes in the lower portion of the rudder, let them drip completely dry and fill with epoxy. If there is delamination on the sides you can drill into it and refill. Keep an eye on the rudder each time you haul.
Old 22-02-2016, 15:07   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Water in rudders is pretty common. The big downside is corrosion on the interior welds and stainless. If you don't want to get into a big job that maybe unneeded, drill some holes in the lower portion of the rudder, let them drip completely dry and fill with epoxy. If there is delamination on the sides you can drill into it and refill. Keep an eye on the rudder each time you haul.

This is true, Paul. However, a rudder failure is catastrophic and loss of steering or, in a worst case,--sinking, is the result. There is no way to inspect the interior welds/structure without opening it up. Once you've gone that far, you might as well rebuild. This is one item along with rigging and through hulls that I would never neglect. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 22-02-2016, 16:21   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
This is true, Paul. However, a rudder failure is catastrophic and loss of steering or, in a worst case,--sinking, is the result. There is no way to inspect the interior welds/structure without opening it up. Once you've gone that far, you might as well rebuild. This is one item along with rigging and through hulls that I would never neglect. Good luck and safe sailing.
Sure, but the OP's boat is a Cal 2-27. A fun sailing boat for normal inshore sailing. It will most likely need more than a rudder inspection before they set off for a circumnavigation
Old 22-02-2016, 16:46   #6

It's pretty common. I'd cut a window in one side, clean it out, inspect it and rebuild it, glassing the window back on when done.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 16:56   #7

Not sure if it applies but... We had to build a new rudder on our last boat. Water had been leaking around the ss stock into the rudder. The rudder itself was a steel plate the stock was ss? Mr, Crealock must have been having a bad day. The weld erroded out and the stock broke free, it was a barn door supported on the bottom, otherwise a real bad day. I would open it up around the stock to see how things look at minumum.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 17:27   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

You'd probably find most rudders are wet. I decided to repair mine and even though it is 30+ years old and, whilst the internal stainless steel work is a little mangy, it's solid enough to last at least another 20 years (I hope!).

This is how you open up a rudder for inspection...

If you go this path, mark and tap with a screwdriver handle first so you can figure out the perimeter to cut out. In my photo above, the white line was the original cutout plan, but the actual cutout was determined after tapping around a bit.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:50   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might either visit Nicholson58's profile, for some pics & insight on his rudder rebuild. And or, kindly query him, & ask him to post his rebuild technique(s) in this thread.

He did some pretty dang nice work on his, as I recall. With the perk being, that he didn't use foam, so there'll be little chance of it getting waterlogged again.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:31   #10

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading some write ups and watching videos but I'm still trying to figure out the proper foam weight etc. Or the alternatives . I'll get some pics up if I decide to do the surgery. I think the audience will enjoy the fumbles of another boat project.
endlessbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 12:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessbreeze View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've been reading some write ups and watching videos but I'm still trying to figure out the proper foam weight etc. Or the alternatives . I'll get some pics up if I decide to do the surgery. I think the audience will enjoy the fumbles of another boat project.
On my 44 I used not foam but lightweight epoxy product. Otherwise, it's just gonna get wet again! Cleaned it out, dried it out, glassed the "window back on and drilled a 1" hole in the top. Filled it with the "ruddercast" epoxy. Yeah a little heavier than foam, but remember, it weighs less in water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder