Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 16:32   #1

WH autopilot failed: Pypilot or Tillerpilot on Windvane

I have an old WH Autopilot (AP) that I'm reinstalling after refit. It worked when I tested it on the bench, but after install, it fails to power on. The Motor Controller box (MC) receives power, but the power LED does not illuminate and the capacitor inside buzzes and gets warm. The Heading Electronics Box (HEB) receives power to the exterior terminals, but it's power LED also does not illuminate.

I'm going to call the place in Texas to get their advice tomorrow, but wanted to get the ball rolling on other options. http://www.presleysautomotive.com/Ab...ine-Autopilots

This autopilot uses a hydraulic cylinder driven by a 1/4 hp DC motor and hydraulic pump. It appears that the electronics are bad. I attached images of the non-electrical components of the WH autopilot that I'd reuse with Pypilot. The "Heavy Duty RAT" is a Rudder Angle Transmitter. Not pictured is a fluxgate compass (part of WH AP system)

Brief boat details:
Pearson 367, predominantly single handed with occasional doublehanded sailing, coastal and offshore.
The boat's steering is a Jefa rack and pinon system.
Boat has a Windpilot windvane.

Option 1: Pypilot, replace the WH electronics with a pypilot driving the existing hydraulic AP system.
How well will the Pypilot control the hydraulic system on this 20,000 sailboat?
Are there any features in the WH autopilot that are not in Pypilot that I will wish I had?

Option 2: Put a tiller pilot on the Windpilot
Setting cost aside, are there advantages to the pypilot/hydraulic system over the tillerpilot/Windpilot system?

If the WH is not repairable for fewer than $300, I guess the only meaningful question I have right now is, if you had the choice of a tiller pilot on a windvane or Pypilot driving a hydraulic system, which would steer the boat better in zero or very light wind conditions, i.e. motoring (windvane will steer when there is enough wind to sail)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbingdiag.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	293140   Click image for larger version

Name:	HydCyl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	293141  

Click image for larger version

Name:	on-offValve.jpg