Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 09:22   #1

Whale Gusher 10 advice needed

The manual bilge pump is giving me some issues. For some reason the part of the pump that you insert the handle in will no longer accept the handle other than maybe 3/4". For some reason the plastic liner has expanded so my question is what is the best way to deal with this. Should I drill the plastic liner out enough to accept the handle? (pretty tough task without removing everything and using a drill press the hole would likely be off center) Could I remove the plastic liner and press in a new one that would properly fit the handle? Ideas and feedback appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4606.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	95854  
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 10:04   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Whale Gusher 10 advice needed

The pump, including the socket for the handle is aluminum. And when aluminum corrodes, it expands, ergo it's likely the cause for the compressed plastic sleeve.
If such is the case, & you absolutely can't take the pump out of service, then lightly sand the inside of the plastic sleeve until the handle fits. Or get/make a handle to fit, out of wood, G10, fiberglass rod etc.

If you can get by without the pump for a bit, & corrosion is the issue, then it'd make sense to fully dis-assemble things. Inspect them, & if everything still looks okay (no cracks or signs of impending failure), then have the hole re-machined to spec. Allowing for enough tolerance to re-powder coat things, & still be able to fit a new bushing & handle into the socket.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 10:23   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I used the Whale 10 as my toilet pump (I have a LAVAC). I thought it would be superior to the plastic Henderson that came with the toilet. I was wrong. It eventually deteriorates from the saltwater.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 11:15   #4

Seems endemic to this Whale 10 pump.sell it and find one that will not fail as time passes.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 07:59   #5

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Simplest way will to be to order a new one from whale. Should not be to expensive as it is only a small alloy casting. Excellent pump other wise, I have used one 'in anger' and they really shift water and will outstrip many med sized impeller pumps.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 08:03   #6

If you are looking for a solid bilge pump, get the Edson. One gallon per stroke.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/newproducts/pump_kit.php
Old 22-01-2015, 09:32   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The manual bilge pump is giving me some issues. For some reason the part of the pump that you insert the handle in will no longer accept the handle other than maybe 3/4". For some reason the plastic liner has expanded so my question is what is the best way to deal with this. Should I drill the plastic liner out enough to accept the handle? (pretty tough task without removing everything and using a drill press the hole would likely be off center) Could I remove the plastic liner and press in a new one that would properly fit the handle? Ideas and feedback appreciated.
It is usually easy to remove the pump. You can get a kit to replace the rubber parts of the pump. It is a critical safety item so get a kit and have peace of mind.While you have it out clear the slot where the handle goes in. Probably a bit of salt or corrosion.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 09:43   #8

The "plastic liner" is an epoxy sealer coat applied to the entire pump body. Once it deteriorates, which is going to happen unless you are using it in fresh water, is not repairable. This is experience talking here. Too bad, since I liked the robustness of the original casting. Given the amount of use a manual bilge pump gets (unless you are using it for the Lavac toilet pump), it's probably more cost effective to use an all-plastic Henderson, or the Whale Guzzlers. You can make limited repairs to the Whale 10, but why? A bilge pump is too critical for saving money on.
Old 22-01-2015, 11:35   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Just rebuild the pump or replace it, do you want to rely on a possibly non working pump when you really need it to work?
Think about it!
That's a most important factor to consider.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 11:35   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The "plastic liner" is an epoxy sealer coat applied to the entire pump body. Once it deteriorates, which is going to happen unless you are using it in fresh water, is not repairable. This is experience talking here. Too bad, since I liked the robustness of the original casting. Given the amount of use a manual bilge pump gets (unless you are using it for the Lavac toilet pump), it's probably more cost effective to use an all-plastic Henderson, or the Whale Guzzlers. You can make limited repairs to the Whale 10, but why? A bilge pump is too critical for saving money on.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 12:04   #11

Thanks for all the feedback, Much appreciated!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 02:30   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, we've had several of these pumps over the years, and every damn one has had corrosion problems. The epoxy (?) coating breaks down and the evil white powder starts appearing. Most often in ours in the area where the flapper valves seat, but various other places as well. Never found an effective way to repair, so IMO, lousy design for an emergency related device. We now use plastic (groan) body pumps... mostly never get used, so wearing out ain't a big deal!

Jim