Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2024, 11:52   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: What do to with my damaged gelcoat hull

Don't use just plain old epoxy to seal the bottom. Use a barrier coat designed to block moisture from migrating through the coating. I have used Interprotect 2000E very successfully. For a 7 meter boat this should not be too expensive.

After removing all loose material and grinding out any sticky or weeping wet spots give it another few weeks to dry. Then fill and fair with thickened epoxy. Then 5 coats of Interprotect per instructions from Interlux. Per their instructions use the recommended time interval between coats. Then apply antifouling paint again at the appropriate interval. This is a perminant fix that will last for decades.

My experience: In October, 1990 I purchased a boat with about 400 blisters between the gelcoat and the laminate. It had already had a West system repair that had failed. Without special additives and sufficient time for the hull to dry no barrier coat will work. I trucked this boat to a cold climate, opened and ground out all the blisters. Most were smaller than a U.S. dime. A few were as large as a quarter. I let is all air dry over the winter. In the spring the entire hull was sanded to remove remaining bottom paint, blisters were filled and faired. Five coats of Interprotect 2000 were applied. Seventeen years later a few blisters started forming. These were ground out, faired and another five coats of Interprotect were applied to the entire hull. It is now another fifteen years since the second coating. No new blisters have appeared. I still own the boat.

I realize that in the Canaries material availability would be more difficult. There must be a source for these materials from mainland Spain. If you plan to keep the boat for a long time it is worth doing the job right. For a 7 meter boat the material cost would be far less than my 13 meter sailboat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 18:28   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"a hull that thick should dry fairly quickly, 2 or 3 weeks would probably do it" Greg K

And, this advice is based on what, Greg?
Rognvald
Old 04-05-2024, 06:08   #18

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"a hull that thick should dry fairly quickly, 2 or 3 weeks would probably do it" Greg K

And, this advice is based on what, Greg?
Rognvald
Observation
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Observation
Hi, Greg,
With no disrespect intended, your time period for drying is bad advice. A 3 month outdoor drying period with weekly fresh water scrubbing to help release any contaminants in the substrata is a minimum baseline based on 35 years of boatyard protocol both in Illinois and Florida. Time can be accelerated in a sealed drying tent with humidifiers 24 hours a day but if the bottom is still chemically contaminated and wet, the bottom job will never last and you'll be doing it over again. The honest answer here is that there is no shortcut to this job. Do it right or do it again.
Rognvald
Old 04-05-2024, 07:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Hi, Greg,
With no disrespect intended, your time period for drying is bad advice. A 3 month outdoor drying period with weekly fresh water scrubbing to help release any contaminants in the substrata is a minimum baseline based on 35 years of boatyard protocol both in Illinois and Florida. Time can be accelerated in a sealed drying tent with humidifiers 24 hours a day but if the bottom is still chemically contaminated and wet, the bottom job will never last and you'll be doing it over again. The honest answer here is that there is no shortcut to this job. Do it right or do it again.
Rognvald
To be clear, it's opinion not advice. And opinions are like azzholes: everybody has one. Especially on the internet.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:01   #21

So just a quick update on the boat:

Humidity of the hull dropped from around 28% to around 18% within 4 weeks.

I will definitely let it dry another 4 weeks and aim for 10% on all spots before doing the epoxy job.
canaryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 09:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaryo View Post
So just a quick update on the boat:

Humidity of the hull dropped from around 28% to around 18% within 4 weeks.

I will definitely let it dry another 4 weeks and aim for 10% on all spots before doing the epoxy job.
What readings are you getting on the topsides above the waterline? Those would be your datum level you should be aiming for.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:57   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Wash it with a pressure washer. Don’t worry about it getting wet, it will actually speed up the drying process.

Also, before filling those spots I would consider painting them with a brushed coat of Hullguard from Awlgrip, which is made for sealing raw fiberglass and brush application.

Any epoxy filler will work; I would use TotalFair but I don’t know if it’s available where you are.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 14:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Wash it with a pressure washer. Don’t worry about it getting wet, it will actually speed up the drying process.

Also, before filling those spots I would consider painting them with a brushed coat of Hullguard from Awlgrip, which is made for sealing raw fiberglass and brush application.

Any epoxy filler will work; I would use TotalFair but I don’t know if it’s available where you are.
Good advice, Jedi,
However, an option to Hullguard: wet out with West System Epoxy and fill with West Lo Density Filler(thickened epoxy)slightly above level to allow for shrinkage when curing(one step). Good luck canaryo. If you do it right, you'll never have to do it again.
Rognvald
Old 07-05-2024, 15:18   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Your boat appears to be suffering from hydrolysis. Polyester resins are ... believe it or not hygroscopic and can dissolve in extreme cases. I have a little bit about the issue on my website ... Osmosis testing in boats
Old 08-05-2024, 04:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your boat appears to be suffering from hydrolysis. Polyester resins are ... believe it or not hygroscopic and can dissolve in extreme cases. I have a little bit about the issue on my website ... Osmosis testing in boats
Well-written article, Boatpoker!
Rognvald

Tags
gelcoat, hull