Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2024, 14:54   #76
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: What is good switchboard wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Thank you for that Wotname.

I'll get the whole 240V cabling checked by a qualified person

Now, I'm using Bunnings extension cords plugged into the inverter. The microwave and HWS are plugged into the female plug on the extension cord. Would that be legal?

Presumably where I wired the extension cord to the galley power point that would be illegal in Australia.

Thanks for your advice.
After having a closer look at the AC issues, I THINK (but don't know) that you could use the extension cord for say the microwave but not for the HWS. The issue is whether any part of the circuit is a fixed installation on the boat. If I came on board and could walk off with all the parts of the circuit (i.e. the wires, the device etc) then the items aren't a fixture and there is no compliance issues at play. So yes, I can carry off the microwave and the extension cord without needing to cut say a cable tie or undo a screw, then they aren't fixtures. The HWS is fixed so an extension cord isn't allowed.

AFAIK, the relevant compliance in Aus is AS/NZS 3004. Have a look at the info on the lower part of this page https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/pow...ac-components/

Lots of good info, including
Quote:
When all or part of an AC system is implemented as a fixture to a vessel, AS/NZS 3004 has special requirements. A fixture is defined as any device that is a permanent part of the vessel installation. Examples might include fixed AC power outlets, hot water systems, battery chargers, air conditioners and so on.
Note- as soon as there is any fixture (including the cable) its AC powered, then all the circuit protection must be fitted.
Quote:
The minimum requirement for a basic fixed system will include:

A shore power inlet facility including a double pole circuit breaker and reverse polarity indication
Power outlets with double pole circuit breakers and switches
An RCD safety device that protects all AC power outlet circuits
A permanently fixed vessel earth electrode
A MEN link on an installed genset or inverter
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 17:35   #77

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
After having a closer look at the AC issues, I THINK (but don't know) that you could use the extension cord for say the microwave but not for the HWS. The issue is whether any part of the circuit is a fixed installation on the boat. If I came on board and could walk off with all the parts of the circuit (i.e. the wires, the device etc) then the items aren't a fixture and there is no compliance issues at play. So yes, I can carry off the microwave and the extension cord without needing to cut say a cable tie or undo a screw, then they aren't fixtures. The HWS is fixed so an extension cord isn't allowed.

Not so fast (You are jumping to conclusion!) What happens if I just run it on 12V? Gotcha!

Duoetto MK2 Digital Dual Voltage (12v/240v) Electric 10L Storage Hot Water System

Enjoy hot water whenever you need it. With 10L capacity, the tank heats water while you drive. Once at 75 degrees, the system will maintain the temperature. Durable design with variable thermostat

Recommended Retail Price $425.95
$425.95
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 17:53   #78
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Not so fast (You are jumping to conclusion!) What happens if I just run it on 12V? Gotcha!

Duoetto MK2 Digital Dual Voltage (12v/240v) Electric 10L Storage Hot Water System

Enjoy hot water whenever you need it. With 10L capacity, the tank heats water while you drive. Once at 75 degrees, the system will maintain the temperature. Durable design with variable thermostat

Recommended Retail Price $425.95
$425.95
Haha....You reckon I jumped to a conclusion after you asked if it was OK to use your extension cord to your HWS. Yeah, that was my conclusion .

But yes, if you only power the HWS with 12V, you are good to go. If however, as you have indicated, you use your extension cord to power the HSW, then you have failed AS/NZS 3004.

Unless you were meaning you were going to use your 12V extension cord but I haven't seen one of those at Bunnings
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 17:55   #79

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I also use it for these self soldering butt connectors that I've been using for quite a while now ...
https://www.amazon.ca/Kuject-Connect...073RMRCC3&th=1
Personally I am not inclined to trust the self soldering connectors.
I have not used them myself but have read that they can present issues getting a reliable connection.
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 20:34   #80

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Haha....You reckon I jumped to a conclusion after you asked if it was OK to use your extension cord to your HWS. Yeah, that was my conclusion .

But yes, if you only power the HWS with 12V, you are good to go. If however, as you have indicated, you use your extension cord to power the HSW, then you have failed AS/NZS 3004.

Unless you were meaning you were going to use your 12V extension cord but I haven't seen one of those at Bunnings

You've got me thinking now. My yacht is 12V/24V DC. I use a 24V/12V Buck converter for lights, depth sounder, radio. I wasn't going to bother with the 12V for the HWS. Maybe I should? I wonder what the power loss is for the inverter compared to the loss for the Buck converter?
Thanks
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring