Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 17:22   #136

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: What Is the Best Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint

That's goofy logic. If there were little bottles of pepper on the shelf at West Marine it would sell like hot cakes. Just look at all the crap they sell.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 17:43   #137
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Samson View Post
That's goofy logic. If there were little bottles of pepper on the shelf at West Marine it would sell like hot cakes. Just look at all the crap they sell.
What you just said is that since West Marine obviously sells a lot of crap, if they were to sell pepper and people bought it, it must be an effective anti fouling paint ingredient.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 17:48   #138

Boat: Mac 26X
The biggest advantage of pepper in your anti-foul is making the sea life taste better. It's a proven fact that more fish will eat the crap off your bottom if you pepper it.

Wait...that came out wrong
Old 17-02-2013, 10:32   #139

Yeah.... I'm going to Cajun's Choice next time!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:01   #140

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 09 View Post
In a few months we are taking our boat from Lake Michigan to the Caribbean
Does anyone have any experience with changing from a fresh water bottom paint (VC17 is what we currently have on it) to a salt water bottom paint? We currently have a very smooth bottom no blisters. Do we need to take it all the way down add a barrier coat than another paint like trinidad? and seriously cayenne pepper? or should we use VC off shore and not have to take it all off? Any experience with this would be appreciated.
The question is whether it's more effort to remove it all and start with another paint, or to dive (or hire a diver) to clean it every few weeks in the tropics. I'd go for the latter if it was me doing it the labor. Your checkbook is the best tool for removing a hard paint like VC.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:16   #141
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The question is whether it's more effort to remove it all and start with another paint, or to dive (or hire a diver) to clean it every few weeks in the tropics.
No, the question is whether to use the right product for the expected fouling conditions or not. VC 17 is not a product that will perform well in saltwater. VC Offshore will not perform well in regions of moderate-to-high fouling growth. Extremely frequent cleaning isn't going to change that. In fact, extremely frequent cleaning will make it worse.
Old 17-02-2013, 19:58   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 09
In a few months we are taking our boat from Lake Michigan to the Carribean
Does anyone have any experience with changing from a fresh water bottom paint (VC17 is what we currently have on it) to a salt water bottom paint? We currently have a very smooth bottom no blisters. Do we need to take it all the way down add a barrier coat than another paint like trinidad? and seriously cayenne pepper? or should we use VC off shore and not have to take it all off? Any experience with this would be appreciated.
How long will you be in the Carribean?

If for years, you might as well take the VC 17 off. From what I understand, it sands off easily with 120-150 grit. Using rougher sand paper will remove gel coat and make the vc17 harder to get off.

If this is a temporary thing, Keeping up with the growth is much easier than sanding the bottom and repainting. I just did mine and this is not an easy task. My boat is 35 feet and this was a full time 3+ day job woking very hard.

As far as a barrier coat, how old is your boat? If it is relatively new and gelcoat is intact, you really don't need a barrier coat. I am in the process of putting one on now as mine is 30 years old and the gelcoat is not what it used to be. I have not had any blisters after 30 years in salt water.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 20:05   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms

Extremely frequent cleaning isn't going to change that. In fact, extremely frequent cleaning will make it worse.
Why is that?
Old 17-02-2013, 20:22   #144
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Why is that?
Because neither paint has good anti fouling properties, they will require aggressive cleaning in moderate-to-high fouling conditions. This will remove paint quickly, exacerbating the poor anti fouling performance.
Old 17-02-2013, 20:52   #145

Quote:

Because neither paint has good anti fouling properties, they will require aggressive cleaning in moderate-to-high fouling conditions. This will remove paint quickly, exacerbating the poor anti fouling performance.
That sounds a whole lot easier/cheaper than sanding the paint off. If that is the case, I would just clean frequently until most or all of the VC17 was gone and then repaint with something else.
Old 17-02-2013, 20:57   #146

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't to offen agree with Fast bottom. But this time he's totaly right !! I Live in Hot sauce Country, and any bottom painter down here would laugh you out of his yard if ya mentioned useing hot sauce in bottom paint !!(they may use other things LOL) Just sayin some old wifes tales need to stop !!
Old 17-02-2013, 21:02   #147
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That sounds a whole lot easier/cheaper than sanding the paint off. If that is the case, I would just clean frequently until most or all of the VC17 was gone and then repaint with something else.
Yes, why maintain the boat properly when you can do it half-assed easier or cheaper?
Old 17-02-2013, 21:09   #148

Quote:

Yes, why maintain the boat properly when you can do it half-assed easier or cheaper?
What would be the disadvantage of doing this? After just sanding my bottom to bare gelcoat (a rediculous amount of labor) I think it would have been much easier to let the paint come off itself through ablating and regular scrubbing.
Old 17-02-2013, 21:13   #149
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What would be the disadvantage of doing this? After just sanding my bottom to bare gelcoat (a rediculous amount of labor) I think it would have been much easier to let the paint come off itself through ablating and regular scrubbing.
I suggest you spend some time in the water cleaning a hull that has a poorly performing anti fouling paint on it. Then do it again every week or so. Then do it in a place where fouling growth is very high. Then tell me what a "ridiculous amount of labor is."
Old 17-02-2013, 21:18   #150

Quote:

I suggest you spend some time in the water cleaning a hull that has a poorly performing anti fouling paint on it. Then do it again every week or so. Then do it in a place where fouling growth is very high. Then tell me what a "ridiculous amount of labor is."
Yes, I actually own a boat and have both cleaned regularly and am on my second bottom job. Ask anybody who has done both and I bet they'll take scrubbing the bottom over sanding the paint off any day. I think the trick here is keeping up with the growth.

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint