Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 21:24   #151
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: What Is the Best Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Yes, I actually own a boat and have both cleaned regularly and am on my second bottom job. Ask anybody who has done both and I bet they'll take scrubbing the bottom over sanding the paint off any day.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were an expert on the subject.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 22:09   #152

Boat: Valiant 50

Fstbttms: Whats your recommendation for high fouling tropical waters?

Petit Trinidad ??? I seem to recall that was the best choice a few years ago.

I am also considering Coppercoat - but the cost of soda blasting + hand sanding + 4 coats of epoxy barrier + 5 coats of CC makes it uneconomical.

If you're constrained from promoting any one product publicly, I'd be grateful for a quick PM or email.

Thanks.
Old 18-02-2013, 02:24   #153

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
I also have used VIVID zinc based -----------beware of it as it has a tendency to "fall off' due to poor adhesion after a short time........... In USA TrinadadSR and Micron 66 are most reliable
I used Vivid a few years ago here in the caribbean. It fell off and it was like fertilizer for growth. Horrible experience. At the time I contacted them and they just ignored me. Never again. I later used Jotun and Interspeed both with reasonable results.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:02   #154
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Fstbttms: Whats your recommendation for high fouling tropical waters?

Petit Trinidad ??? I seem to recall that was the best choice a few years ago.
There is nothing better, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
I am also considering Coppercoat
My (albeit limited) experience with this particular product has not been good. I cannot recommend it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 04:03   #155
Sponsoring Vendor

If you have to remove paint you might want to consider wet abrasive media blasting, (Farrow System) or (GeoBlaster) to take it off.

The wet abrasive blasting process is much gentler than soda blasting because dry blasting produces more friction heat ant the point of contact which softens the gel-coat which can easily be burned off.

Here's a quick video I made showing our wet abrasive blasting process removing ablative from gel-coat... note how very little if any dust there is: cleanbottom - YouTube

On bottom paint you might want to consider Sea-Hawk Marine paints Boat Bottom Paint by Sea Hawk Paints - Premium Anti-Fouling & Ablative Marine Coatings We do a lot of bottoms using their barrier paint called Sea Hawk Tuff-Stuff epoxy barrier coat, followed by Sea Hawk Cukote multi seasonal hard ablative which has a 47% copper content.

Sea Hawk paints is based out of Florida and was developed for warm waters, their Tuff-Stuff epoxy barrier coat is probably the best barrier coat available for anti blistering.
AtlanticGreenPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:51   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticGreenPro View Post
If you have to remove paint you might want to consider wet abrasive media blasting, (Farrow System) or (GeoBlaster) to take it off.

The wet abrasive blasting process is much gentler than soda blasting because dry blasting produces more friction heat ant the point of contact which softens the gel-coat which can easily be burned off.

Here's a quick video I made showing our wet abrasive blasting process removing ablative from gel-coat... note how very little if any dust there is: cleanbottom - YouTube

On bottom paint you might want to consider Sea-Hawk Marine paints Boat Bottom Paint by Sea Hawk Paints - Premium Anti-Fouling & Ablative Marine Coatings We do a lot of bottoms using their barrier paint called Sea Hawk Tuff-Stuff epoxy barrier coat, followed by Sea Hawk Cukote multi seasonal hard ablative which has a 47% copper content.

Sea Hawk paints is based out of Florida and was developed for warm waters, their Tuff-Stuff epoxy barrier coat is probably the best barrier coat available for anti blistering.
Yes but, how much is the cost? I got a quote of $100.00 per foot just for the blasting! So $4500.00. Thats only for the blasting! Not including the recoating etc.
Old 20-02-2013, 07:53   #157
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
Yes but, how much is the cost? I got a quote of $100.00 per foot just for the blasting! So $4500.00. Thats only for the blasting! Not including the recoating etc.
Ouch! I should pack up and move my business to Puerto Rico.... I'm at half that price up here in New Jersey for a 45' Sailboat!

dale
Old 20-02-2013, 08:27   #158

Quote:
Ouch! I should pack up and move my business to Puerto Rico.... I'm at half that price up here in New Jersey for a 45' Sailboat!

dale
But the truth is that they are THE BEST in the caribbean. Period. They have expertise in everything related to power and sailboats. I've seen their work and it is simply amazing. From the simple haul and paint to the total structural reconstruction of big boats. Even keel re-attachment etc etc...
Old 20-02-2013, 13:23   #159
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
But the truth is that they are THE BEST in the caribbean. Period. They have expertise in everything related to power and sailboats. I've seen their work and it is simply amazing. From the simple haul and paint to the total structural reconstruction of big boats. Even keel re-attachment etc etc...
More reason I should move to Puerto Rico!.... and did I say the weather is much nicer than here in New Jersey where it was 30º today.

JustSayen
Old 21-02-2013, 02:03   #160

Quote:

More reason I should move to Puerto Rico!.... and did I say the weather is much nicer than here in New Jersey where it was 30º today.

JustSayen
Yes weather is perfect here!
Old 23-02-2013, 20:01   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were an expert on the subject.
good to see you again. Also glad to see you are getting along so well with others cheers.
fsailing35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 20:09   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.wabbit View Post
Hey Mark, Old thread, but I was wondering what your final experience was with the Super Shipbottom paint back in 2008?

Erik
Hi erik I have been using supperships bottom paint for 5.5 years now the first time I put it on I went 3 yrs I dive my boat about every 3 to 4 months and have had good results. I am in the panhandle of florida. I put 3 coats on and 4 coats on the water line. the only problem I really have is the grass on the water line but it does come off with no problem. my boat is a 28 foot full keel sail boat. hope that helps bill
Old 23-02-2013, 21:39   #163

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Fsailing35, Ain't he a nice guy ?? no attitude there LOL
Old 24-02-2013, 04:25   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Fsailing35, Ain't he a nice guy ?? no attitude there LOL
no problem on my side just a comment on someone displaying a good attitude. But now your not going to coment on his attitude are you now enough on that lets get back to the toppic
Old 24-02-2013, 04:42   #165

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Don't forget salt... If you put salt and pepper in your anti fouling paint the cleaning fish will come to your boat and thank you by cleaning your bottom. Just saying.
Been in the water 50 years remember 40 of them and haven't seen such a lot of ineffective paint produced in the world of environmental safe products. Remember we can't kill what bothers our bottoms anymore. Use rustoleum it's pretty comes in many colors and dive on your bottom every month or two or sail zee boat and off it comes

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint