Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 04:46   #166

Re: What Is the Best Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint

depends on the water you keep the boat in. I find they all under perform and I'm in LIS. I am now using Trinidad SR.... one coat.

You simply have to have the bottom scrubbed frequently.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:28   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Stop the snarky comments.

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Forum Rules

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:20   #168

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Stop the snarky comments.

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Forum Rules
Flexibly
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27   #169

Boat: Gulfstar MK1 43'

Out of all these post I have not seen any mention of Blue Water Copper Pro™ 67 SCX Antifouling Pain. Has anyone used this? Suppose to do better than anything out there according to Practical Sailor.
khhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:38   #170

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by khhayes View Post
Out of all these post I have not seen any mention of Blue Water Copper Pro™ 67 SCX Antifouling Pain. Has anyone used this? Suppose to do better than anything out there according to Practical Sailor.
I think defjef has it right in Post #166 above. I would take PS's testing with a grain of salt. They gave ePaint's EP-ZO a very high mark and I used it in Long Island Sound with TERRIBLE results. They also give Micron 66 very high marks and I found it to be VERY effective (also in LIS) but there were other drawbacks, such as you can't ever take it in fresh water (e.g. up a river) without ruining it. They rate Pettit Hydrocoat more effective than Micron Extra, but I've used both and find Micron to be marginally better -- or about equal but longer-lasting.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:46   #171
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I think defjef has it right in Post #166 above. I would take PS's testing with a grain of salt. They gave ePaint's EP-ZO a very high mark and I used it in Long Island Sound with TERRIBLE results. They also give Micron 66 very high marks and I found it to be VERY effective (also in LIS) but there were other drawbacks, such as you can't ever take it in fresh water (e.g. up a river) without ruining it. They rate Pettit Hydrocoat more effective than Micron Extra, but I've used both and find Micron to be marginally better -- or about equal but longer-lasting.
The problem with Practical Sailor's highly overrated anti fouling paint reviews is that the tests are conducted only in Florida and Rhode Island (if memory serves.) It is impossible to generalize about anti fouling paint performance when you have limited testing like this. These two regions are not representative of fouling conditions in other parts of the country (much less the rest of the world) and the results gathered from these tests are therefore not representative of the performance one can expect elsewhere from the products in question.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 14:30   #172

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The problem with Practical Sailor's highly overrated anti fouling paint reviews is that the tests are conducted only in Florida and Rhode Island (if memory serves.) It is impossible to generalize about anti fouling paint performance when you have limited testing like this. These two regions are not representative of fouling conditions in other parts of the country (much less the rest of the world) and the results gathered from these tests are therefore not representative of the performance one can expect elsewhere from the products in question.
Actually I think their northern tests are in Long Island Sound. HQ is Norwalk, CT.

Another problem with their tests is they use panels hung from a dock, and simulate water flow by periodic flushing of the panels on a schedule. What does that simulate? How much sun or shade do those panels see? Is that a constant for all panels?

One of the issues I had with EP-ZO was that the water is turbid (low visibility) in my area and EP-ZO is sunlight activated. The deeper and down-facing portions of my hull were as if there were no bottom paint. The areas near waterline were very good for about 2 months, but eventually fouled badly too.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 15:27   #173

Boat: Gulfstar MK1 43'

I think they compared like bottom paints. Micron66 to Bluewater67, etc. I'm in Florida heading to the carribean after hurricane season. BTW I'm a slow trawler with top speed of 8 knots. Bottom paint based on hydrogen peroxide? Soon as light hits it it is gone hence the brown bottle 3% H2O2 comes in. Nearly all living things possess enzymes which harmlessly and catalytically decompose low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen.
khhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 15:35   #174
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khhayes View Post
Bottom paint based on hydrogen peroxide? Soon as light hits it it is gone hence the brown bottle 3% H2O2 comes in.
Almost but not quite. When exposed to sunlight, the zinc omadine component of certain anti fouling paints changes water and oxygen into hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide creates an inhospitable environment for fouling organisms. Because these paints are photo-reactive, they work best where the sunlight is strongest (closer to the surface) and anti fouling performance drops off the deeper you go, especially in murkier water. Pretty much exactly opposite of copper-based paints.

For instance:

Old 16-10-2013, 10:40   #175

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Reviving oldish thread.
Hoping to get some insight and experience with the different Trinidad's... In my days of bottom jobs there was just one kind, now there are three four, plus the commercial grade. our bottom job has lasted over 5 years, pretty sure it's trinidad, very hard so definite a resin/epoxy paint.
I always looked at copper content..

Fastbottoms, you say trinidad, but any particular line?
Old 16-10-2013, 10:45   #176

Trinidad PRO and Trinidad SR are purported to be the same, PRO is offered wholesale, SR is the retail.

Have PRO on the boat and after about six months, so far so good. Just wish I'd painted the saildrives with it, since I epoxy-primered the sd's anyway...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 10:53   #177
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Fastbottoms, you say trinidad, but any particular line?
I have never noticed any difference in anti fouling performance between any of the Pettit Trinidad products- be it Trinidad, Trinidad SR or Trinidad Pro.
Old 22-10-2013, 15:20   #178

Their is a new paint technology that uses Tungsten and is an anti-foulant. Several big marinas have started using it. it can increase speed as well which you wont get with the usual paints. I have info if you message me on where to get it, but not suppose to post links in forums.
crg7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 15:28   #179
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg7873 View Post
Their is a new paint technology that uses Tungsten and is an anti-foulant. Several big marinas have started using it. it can increase speed as well which you wont get with the usual paints. I have info if you message me on where to get it, but not suppose to post links in forums.
Message me the link please.
Old 22-10-2013, 18:55   #180
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg7873 View Post
Please pardon my skepticism but clearly you are associated with this product somehow. So maybe you can answer the questions I have, after visiting the company web site:

1.- NanoSave Tungsten Hull Coat claims to be "metal free". So what is the tungsten all about?

2.- The web site give very little useful information, but it appears that NanoSave Tungsten Hull Coat is a "foul release" type of coating. Is this the case?

3.- What in-water maintenance is recommended?

4.- Where has NanoSave Tungsten Hull Coat been used? Any real-world product performance anecdotes available? There is nothing but hype on the web site.

5.- What is meant by "Sea Hawk Premium Anti-fouling base"? Have you modified an existing product?

6.- What is your association with NanoSave Tungsten Hull Coat?

For the curious, here is the link:

N1 Marine products | Nano Oil and Paint Technology

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint