Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2008, 09:05   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Just to throw this out there for opinions, this is the price I've been qouted for doing the bottom myself on a 38 Cat in Ft.Pierce Fl. Buying the supplies from them is required

Haulout $140
Block $55
Spray wash $55
Enviromentalcharge (one time) $38
Drop cloth $1.35 per ft'
Petit Trinadad $219 per gallon
Back in $140
Storage $10 a day X 7

Total $1005 Not including .06 tax

This doesn't include rollers, brushes, pans, sand paper etc.
and using the figure of two gallons of paint as a start. I though this was fair, any comments welcomed.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 00:50   #47

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I have heard not so good responses about this product. So how well does the copper work? Does the hull have to be scrubbed and or sanded each year or even sooner or later?
alan ,all thats needed prior to launch each season is light abrading with a scotchbrite pad or 400 grit paper just to tickle the surface and activate it as my post states i have had this coating from new in 1998 and would never go back to dissolving paint !
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 01:02   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Just to throw this out there for opinions, this is the price I've been qouted for doing the bottom myself on a 38 Cat in Ft.Pierce Fl. Buying the supplies from them is required

<snip>

Total $1005 Not including .06 tax
What's the charge if they paint it?

We just had a quote done and labor is cheap here. Most of the cost was going to be materials. The labor ended up around US$500.

I hate to admit it but my time (especially my time off) is worth way more than $100 per day.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 16:55   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
What's the charge if they paint it?

We just had a quote done and labor is cheap here. Most of the cost was going to be materials. The labor ended up around US$500.

I hate to admit it but my time (especially my time off) is worth way more than $100 per day.

That's a good question, I'll ask and let you know. My time was well worth more than $100 a day when I worked too. Now I don't mind getting a good blue dusting and doing all the work myself.
So far this yard here in Ft.Pierce has been a good experiance. A few of the other boaters here I have met say they have been happy here and have been here several times before.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 18:19   #50

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Connemara: You asked about a product for your prop in fresh water. I used Propspeed on my stainless shaft and folding bronze prop, in salt water. It's a two part process that is pretty easy to apply, when hauled out. I asked my diver several months later to check it out. He told me I had been had. Then he went down and found the shaft and prop completely loaded with marine growth. He placed his hand on the un-coated zinc, and the simple concussion of his hand hitting the zinc caused all the growth to instantly fall off. He surfaced and apologized with a big smile. I have been smiling over a year later.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 18:12   #51

Boat: Fair Weather Mariner 39
For warmer waters, my vote would go to Trinidad Pro, a hard modified epoxy with two biocides, but it is pricey. Normally about $240 a gallon, but West Marine has it ecataloged for, get this, $499 per gallon!
Kimballcorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 19:19   #52
cruiser

Trinidad - Defender.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballcorson View Post
For warmer waters, my vote would go to Trinidad Pro, a hard modified epoxy with two biocides, but it is pricey. Normally about $240 a gallon, but West Marine has it ecataloged for, get this, $499 per gallon!
Trinidad SR Bottom Paint
Item #: 750421
Gallon
Dual-biocide antifouling, hard finish

Manufacturer: PETTIT
Model #: 1877 / 1277 / 1377 / 1677
This product ships ground
Pettit TRINIDAD SR Hard Antifouling Paint- same strong formula as TRINIDAD but with the addition of a biocide booster called CIBA Irgarol... more... Our Price: $199.99

Trinidad Tropical Bottom Paint
Item #: 750423
Gallon
Model #: 1375G,1275G,1675G,1875G
This product ships ground
Trinidad aggressively combats even the most torrid, tropical fouling conditions and at the same time reduces annual hull maintenance.
Our Price: $169.99

Trinidad SR
Item #: 750420
Quart. Black, Blue, Green, Red
Model #: 1277Q
Ths product ships ground
An enhanced version of the spectacular Trinidad, containing the latest technology in biocides to increase effectiveness against slime and... more... Our Price: $74.99

BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 20:50   #53

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We will be using this for the first time this year. I can tell you more about it in a year or two...

Mark
Well I can't comment yet on its performance (5 days growth free so far...), but this was the best handling bottom paint I have ever used. It rolled on very easily and never needed thinning. Coverage was exactly as stated on the can and website. I have never experienced either of these characteristics with the typical commercial bottom paints. This was the first time I actually didn't detest painting the bottom. It all went very smoothly and quickly due to the ease of application.

It does smell much worse than other paints though. Smells like Allgrip solvent or amyl acetates. Definitely advantageous to paint with the wind to your back.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 23:11   #54

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
The copper rich epoxy anti-fouling being promoted at the Sanctuary Cove Boat show is called Copershield. First marketed as Copperbot by C-Defence International Ltd. is now manufactured and marketed by Aquarius Marine Coatings Ltd. since January 1998. For more info the website is Coppercoat - multiseason antifouling. 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul antifouling.. I am going to give it a go towards the end of the year and shouldn't have to antifoul for 10 years or so they say.
Garry
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:22   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
A system, not a paint...

I didn't see it in any brochures but antifouling should be considered a system, not a single paint.

For example: On Boracay the first coat(s) is epoxy. For the antifouling that I used last time this should be followed by a vinyl primer then a minimum of two coats of antifouling on top.

I'm assuming that if the old antifouling is patchy or missing then the primer should be reapplied.

I am annoyed that the paint manufacturer left this vital information off the instructions on the can. Other information that was missing was that antifouling should never be applied to a wet hull.

Makes me wonder what else I don't know about antifouling.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 19:43   #56

Boat: Bertram MY 58
What paint works best when covered in river silt in between uses? My fouling grows on the silt and silt/slime between once a month uses in Trout River, Jacksonville, FL,

Thx
Capt Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:14   #57

The economics of bottom paint for a 35' hull:

minimum short haul out, power wash, block and relaunch = ± $500

sand bottom including supplies (suit, sand paper) = ±$50
labor to sand bottom 3hrs @ 40 = $120

1.5 - 2 gal bottom paint = 150 - $400 w/ tax
solvent, roller, tape, brushes = ± $25 w/ tax
labor to to apply paint and clean up 4 hrs @ $40 = 160

That cost in the range of $1,000 - $1,270

Diver will scrub you bottom for $50 - 100 per scrub.

That computes to 10 - 12 scrubs per season. One per 2 weeks = 20 - 24 weeks at the expensive rate and 40 - 48 weeks at the lower rate.

Why not just get a diver to scrub your hull and PROP every 2 weeks? And no fouling the environment or waste of time and energy!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 17:38   #58
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Why not just get a diver to scrub your hull and PROP every 2 weeks? And no fouling the environment or waste of time and energy!
Because in moderate to high fouling conditions even weekly hull cleaning will not stay ahead of fouling organisms on an unpainted hull.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 18:10   #59

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have used Trinadad SR for years with great sucess. Hauled every 2 years with few "Barneys" and a little slime. Mostly Chesapeke. 12 months ago I applied Trinadad SR Pro and spent 6 months in the Chesapeke and 6 in the Bahamas. I hauld out this week and had what looked like a 1960"s long shag carpet. Some say it is due to not having a hard freeze here in the chessapeke in 2 years. Any Thoughts on this?

I have just applied 2 coats Micron 66 and will see what happens. Very pricey stuff.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 19:52   #60

Boat: Trismus 37
Has anyone had experience with "Inversalu" a zinc rich (antifouling)coating for alloy boats, It is marketed by "Meta Chantiers" in France (the builders of Moitessiers Joshua) who build Aluminium yachts using the Strongall method,they have been building yachts for many years, It apparently turns the hull into 1 large annode and is marketed as being very hard and durable, giving many years of protection. It is unknown here in the South Pacific. any info appreciated.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling, bottom paint