Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2007, 13:50   #61

Exactly I never called anyone stupid.
Old 28-05-2007, 13:59   #62

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Now that I'm up in Maine, I have seen DOZENS of these boats. Some already have the wheelhouse extension (for cold water fishing) so I may end up inheriting someone else's poor construction job.

But... I'll probably get one like the picture I posted and do it myself to be sure it's done in a way that doesn't leak.
Seems like an answer has presented itself! Just get in the dinghy and check out these dozens of boats, it will probably become clear what works well and what doesn't, and the only math required would be to subtract a bit of the BS factor from what the owners tell you - normal procedure for advice from dockside admirals!
Old 28-05-2007, 16:01   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Sean, I don't remember seeing those posts. Can you direct me to them please. Calling someone that is not acceptable and I will take action on that.
Sure thing, Wheels:

I think Gord's thesaurus and Google prowess have blinded you. Saying someone "lacks the inclination or skills" to calculate moments of inertia is calling someone stupid, using a thesaurus and fancy wordsmithing.

When Southernmans says, "honestly man, I think you just enjoy picking a fight with people on here", this means he sees me as an A hole.

There ya go. You wanted to see the posts and there they are.

I came into this thread with a simple question and got the snot kicked out of me by these jerks. How come mods don't step in and stop these little attacks? Thomas deleted one a while back... I agreed he should delete it, but where were the mods when the original attack on me was launched? He stepped in to delete after I defended myself. Same case here. Gord personally attacks me in here (calling me stupid) and I get no justice. Then all is well and Southernman drags out some more since he's in the mood for drama or something.

All I wanted was a friggin opinion on what material was best to build a light, inexpensive and waterproof structure.

I got some good advice from some good people, but man... most of you are straight up losers. I have no idea why I even bother to explain myself here. I'm stonewalled by the Admin "mousketeer club" I was one in. Way to degrade your own board by posting off-topic comments to a thread. I didn't start this, jerks.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 16:03   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Sean, I don't remember seeing those posts. Can you direct me to them please. Calling someone that is not acceptable and I will take action on that.
Sure thing, Wheels:

I think Gord's thesaurus and Google prowess have blinded you. Saying someone "lacks the inclination or skills" to calculate moments of inertia is calling someone stupid, using a thesaurus and fancy wordsmithing.

When Southernmans says, "honestly man, I think you just enjoy picking a fight with people on here", this means he sees me as an A hole.

There ya go. You wanted to see the posts and there they are.

I came into this thread with a simple question and got the snot kicked out of me by these jerks. How come mods don't step in and stop these little attacks? Thomas deleted one a while back... I agreed he should delete it, but where were the mods when the original attack on me was launched? He stepped in to delete after I defended myself. Same case here. Gord personally attacks me in here (calling me stupid) and I get no justice. Then all is well and Southernman drags out some more since he's in the mood for drama or something.

All I wanted was a friggin opinion on what material was best to build a light, inexpensive and waterproof structure. Instead I got a pissing match with a couple of morons.

I got some good advice from some good people, but man... most of you are straight up losers. I have no idea why I even bother to explain myself here. I'm stonewalled by the Admin "mousketeer club" I was one in. Way to degrade your own board by posting off-topic comments to a thread, then beating up on the guy who was called stupid. Great job of moderation.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 02:51   #65

someone call the medic - we have a bleeder.
Old 29-05-2007, 04:06   #66
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Sean

I agree that moderators here apply, what I would have to call an uneven rule of law. I've been on the receiving end of this, as I'm sure many others have. However, It's their forum, and they apply rules as they see fit. The only recourse is not to log in here.

As to your upcoming project, In my opinion, thin ply and frame would be the most cost effective and practical method of construction and have the fastest construction time. I'm pretty sure you're planning to put a couple of windows and a door or two in the new structure, and these will have to be mounted/hung in the most cost effective manor. Wood would be the way to go. If your goal is for it to look good for 5 years or so, just apply a good polyurethane paint directly to the wood.

In your climate, I would think this would last at least 5 years or more and look great.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 13:10   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Right, I don't want this going any further. It is detracting from the topic.
Sean you are wrong. You have read words that simply do not exist into comments . Simple as that. The best thing you can do if you think someone has attacked you, is not to reply within the topic. Take it off the board and talk to the individual via PM. If you can't resolve a persieved issue, then bring it to the moderators to mediate. You have only made the situation worse by taking a comment incorrectly and then retaliating by hitting back harder and calling people names that frankly they don't deserve.
Lets get back to the topic.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 20:09   #68

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
This topic has definetly gone south
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 22:54   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I would disagree with rickm505 on one point. As I have stated before if using fir plywood that will be exposed to the elements you have to use resin and cloth. Paint only will not cut it in any climate. The ply will check (develop cracks) with paint only or even a resin only coating. You can get away with this on interior surfaces though. Sealing the end grain will be a critical step in preventing future problems. One way to do this is , assuming you have a small overhang, double or triple up the ply around the perimeter on the underside a few inches wide or match the overhang. With a router or sander give this a nice rounded edge and then seal with a few coats of thin resin. Apply one more coat and after it starts to cure but is still tacky wrap a layer of cloth around the edge and wet it out with a small foam roller.
On an early post I mentioned using widely spaced beams and stringers. I would add that bulkheads can take the place of the beams where needed.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 00:02   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sealing the end grain will be a critical step in preventing future problems.
My solution is solid timber edging. Maybe overkill, but it is the best solution IMO. I have seen too many ply edges cause problems, even the glassed ones. Around window cutouts, this is essetial. Otherwise if a small leak develops around the frame and water gets into the end grain of the ply, severe damage can occur.

Old 01-06-2007, 00:29   #71

Boat: Hedley Nichol 10mtr Cat
Polypropylene honeycomb and epoxy . The honeycomb is the same price as marine ply and has many more advantages .
Cheers , Jezza
jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 00:34   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never heard of it. How do you get Epoxy to stick to it???

Old 01-06-2007, 00:46   #73

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
It has some sort of fabric thermally bonded to it as an interface between the epoxy and foam.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 00:50   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza
Polypropylene honeycomb and epoxy . The honeycomb is the same price as marine ply and has many more advantages .
Cheers , Jezza
“Nidaplast” is an extruded polypropylene honeycomb material for use as a light weight core in composite sandwich panels.
BoatCraft Pacific - Composites

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:57   #75

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
It is called "Nidacore" in the US. Can be bought from FGCI.com and LBI.com. They thermally bond a fiberglass scrim to it for laminating purposes. Our boat is extensively cored with it.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote