Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 21:33   #1

What Paint Grade Plywood to Use ?

I'm at a point to where I am going to install a new interior in my Triton. The only thing left in the boat is the primary bulkhead under the mast location.

My question is this: What paint grade plywood to use?

I am looking for something that is both durable...and cost effective...I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel.. The parameters that I am working with is to re-fit her in a "painted Herreshoff style" w/cherry trim. At the moment I am leaning towards Okoume w/Marine glue. More then likely 1/2" through out.

If you recommend "MDO", how do you address glassing/tabbing over the paper film attached?

Although I have used teak plywood in the past on various projects, I don't have the "practical knowledge from use" on what kind of plywood to use on a total re-fit from the hull up. I have also considered using a marine grade (Okoume?) for bulkheads and the like while using off the shelf pine (not fir) with exterior glue for the smaller pieces and parts.

Any supportive thoughts are openingly welcome.

Glenn

FWIW: The first pic is for illustration purposes only for an interior with painted bulkheads while the second is the intended layout I will use when I re-install the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3173467_0_070220111233_18.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	33564   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	33565  

Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What Paint Grade Plywood to Use ?

Quote:
... If you recommend "MDO", how do you address glassing/tabbing over the paper film attached? ...
I don’t think I’d use MDO, but you could bolt an aluminum angle iron to the bulkhead, and glass the other flat to the hull.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:59   #3

Thanks Gord...I have heard a lot of talk about MDO, although nothing deliberate concerning tabbing the stuff together. OBTW...in '93 I purchased an Alberg 37 out of Thunder Bay...nice area!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:58   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Is this structural, like in bulk heads, or is it for cabinetry? The non-marine paint grade ply will have a somewhat random pattern of empty spots in the interior, so it isn't good for structural areas, but should be fine for cabinetry. The high end marine ply like the Okoume ply will be solid in the center (as will brunzeal, SP). When I worked in a large plywood mill, the interior ply and the exterior ply veneers went to the same glue line and used the same glue.
Old 11-11-2011, 14:20   #5

Thanks Paul...It will be used for both. Right now all the interior has been cut out, down to the hull.

Sounds like you are recommending using a marine structural plywood (Okoume or equal) for the interior structural locations and then use non-structural/marine ply in the other areas.

For the "non-structural" pieces...has anyone used a standard off the shelf pine AC or BC exterior glue grade plywood like you can get from a building supply or does it need to be a step up and go with a cabinet grade plywood?

Tags
paint, plywood