Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2011, 13:24   #1

Boat: Leopard L38
What to Do ?!

I am in a complete quandary here! Due to the fact that I am an economical fella and always try to due things myself. Here is my dilemma.

The Cheoy Lee needs the masts refinished, the bottom done (with some minor blister repair) The teak on and around the deck and the rest of the hull needs to be sanded and painted. Plus I want to add wind,solar and new electronics.

Should I have the boat hauled to my house which I think I can have done for what it would cost me for 3 months rent in a do it yourself yard?
Or take it to a yard have them do the masts,rigging and bottom then I finish the other while she is back in the water? I have plenty of room and a garage big enough for the masts. Just wondering?

Thanks,
Brian
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:33   #2

Re: What to do!

hmmmm... sounds like you are into major refit. Sounds like it might be worth having it hauled to your house. More convenient and no one to hassle you with environmental issues.... dust etc. (?) Open up the blisters first so they can dry out while you do the other work. You could have the yard finish the bottom work when you haul it back. Wood spars or alum? Everything much easier out of the water. (painting the teak?) Nothing like the convenience of having it right out your door...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:43   #3

Re: What to do!

The spars are sitka spruce. I have many years of automotive painting and have an understanding of the refinishing the mast process, pretty simple. I am going to use cetol on the mast and teak around the deck. I am confident I can do the job right. How much $$$ would I save. The boat is a 41 footer.
Old 23-07-2011, 15:48   #4

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: What to Do ?!

I agree, haul it home and open up those blisters/give the hull some summer dry out. Wish I'd had such an option. Easier to do really good work!
Please don't use the c word... you've offended my delicate brightwork sensibilities and for goodness sakes get rid of those teak decks, fill all the screw holes, fair , paint with white Proline two part Polyurethane adding sand after the first coat followed by three more coats... let me see, could I be more opinionated and where is that emoticon with the kid poking at the beehive with a stick? ah well, this will do
Have fun with that Cheoy Lee!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 15:54   #5

Butler,

The teak decks are gone!There is Teak around the portholes and such. Yes, the C word I have not completely made up my mind. I have had a couple guys tell me Cetol holds up better in the tropics. I welcome all advice and opinions!!
Old 23-07-2011, 16:10   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

These things always take more time and more parts than originally envisioned, so haul it to your house. Stuff you can't finish can be done at the yard on your way back into the water.
Detco's Crystal varnish works for me in tropical Mexico, holds up well, looks good (and I have about an acre and a half of varnished surfaces). For convenience, tho, if not varnish then try an oil. I, too, hate Cetol...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:11   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
From what you say...

From what you say its not a lot of work. Easier to do with the boat in the water.

The big questions are: 1) How long do you want to have the boat out of service for? and 2) How much work do you really want to do?

Its a big and expensive job to pull the masts, put the boat on a truck, take it to your place and then to put the boat on secure stands and to put scaffolding round. Then to reverse the process. Even for a three month job probably not worth it.

But reading between the lines I don't see any hint that you want to cruise, or even to do some serious sailing, soon. I am getting that money is not plentiful and that you want a boat in top condition.

To make bringing the boat to your place viable it really needs to be for 3 to 5 years. Time to do a top restoration and to get the cruising kitty filled.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Given you have the time, the knowledge and the motivation, save yourself the bucks and do it yourself.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:17   #9

Boat: Pearson 281

Phisher, Though I don't care for the stuff point taken on Cetol in the tropics from what I've read. It has it's fans, one of the local workboats here in my SoCal marina (Swordfishermen) is really happy with it and says it holds up really well. Just trying to stir up some trouble really ;~>
Seems like you have "good bones" to build on.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:25   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

If you can do it yourself and have the time you should, you will save major dollars and know it is done right....

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:36   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If the masts are spuce, you may need to go over them careful for rot. Even penetrating epoxy can't bring back bad wood so you may be into scarfing a piece or two in before finishing them off. Not a big job if you know what you are doing. Sounds like the hull needs to be thoroughly dried before addressing the blister problem so storing in a yard for months could get pricey. If you have the space, I would opt to do the work at home and bring someone in for a day or two if the job is beyond your abilities.
With the time you have waiting for the blisters to dry, I would sand and varnish your teak around your ports... Detco is a good product IMO.
Cetol is OK but not nearly as appealing as varnish. There was a two part system I used in San Diego that was fantastic but I can't remember the name... perhaps someone else here can recall the name (God, i hate to get old!!). Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:37   #12

My plan is to take off in October of 2012 I am in the process of selling things to finance the upgrades/improvements. My cruising kitty is safe and sound and growing monthly, I don't want to touch it. So I am trying to save money any way possible and I am a cheap bastard! If I can do it why pay someone and I have had bad experiences with boat mechanics in the past.
Old 23-07-2011, 17:31   #13

You might consider painting the masts white. Paint reportedly lasts a lot longer than any kind of clear product. Masts are hard to paint when up so what you put on now will be important...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 18:25   #14

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
I am in a complete quandary here! Due to the fact that I am an economical fella and always try to due things myself. Here is my dilemma.

The Cheoy Lee needs the masts refinished, the bottom done (with some minor blister repair) The teak on and around the deck and the rest of the hull needs to be sanded and painted. Plus I want to add wind,solar and new electronics.

Should I have the boat hauled to my house which I think I can have done for what it would cost me for 3 months rent in a do it yourself yard?
Or take it to a yard have them do the masts,rigging and bottom then I finish the other while she is back in the water? I have plenty of room and a garage big enough for the masts. Just wondering?

Thanks,
Brian
Take it home. The money saved on the rent can be put into the boat and the time constraint will be off. You won't be watching the rent clock and can take the time to do the best job on your project. Good luck and happy boat fixing.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:17   #15

After some research and costing it out, I am moving the boat to Green Cove Springs Marina. I spent an hour or so with Bob the owner very helpful. DIY yard will cost me $480.00 a month includes electric and water. The kicker is I can live on her while doing the work. To ship the boat to my house would have cost me $3000.00 one way.

So come October I will sail her down and around up to Jacksonville.

For anyone interested I will be keeping a journal of all my costs from day one to get a real idea of the monies involved in sailing. I will post it on a blog soon.
Peace,
Brian