Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 12:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: What to use: 2 part clear epoxy or 2 part Poly

If you go the epoxy first route remember to remove all traces of oil first. Epoxy will not stick to an oily surface.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 13:21   #17

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Pettit Flagship 2015 "High Build" was recommended to me...it's what I'm using right now on my wheel...supposed to have superior UV protection...
Poeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 14:41   #18

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I will never buy West System again. It’s taking me hours to remove the three coat epoxy three coat varnish. A year late under hot sun-90 degrees- any moisture that may have been in the wood, bubbles or lifts the epoxy or discolors. Some of the work, my hatch, was done in controlled conditions, my sunroom, and same thing occurred but not as bad. Toe rails and hatch are a red mahogany and the sun really heats up the surface. Pardey says to never use epoxy exposed to heat or direct sunlight. I never read his book until after being conned by a West System video of the process. The only epoxy I will use now is Smith’s- a penetrating epoxy that I use as a sealer. No build up. And a good UV protecting varnish.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 16:48   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I use Cetol on my teak house and teak coamings. What are the trades compared to using varnish?

Cetol lasts way longer. Breaches in the Cetol can be repaired by sanding down around the breach and applying a coat of Cetol in the local sanded area. I typically then apply a second coat to the whole surface.

Cetol seems to be a much tougher finish. One un-noticed hit on your varnish and in a month it is ruined.

Cetol doesn't have the "look" compared to a good varnish but I will trade that for many extra years of not having to do a complete strip and refinish.

My house and coamings are old growth Thai teak and adhesion has never been a problem.

That said, I use Pettit Flagship on my sitka spruce spars. I'm not sure why I don't use the Cetol but I just can't bring myself to hit the spruce with it. It just wouldn't look right. Of all the varnishes I have used in the last 40 years Flagship seems to last the longest.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 18:28   #20

Boat: Nordhavn 46 motorsailor
Send a message via Skype™ to janaconda

Look up COELAN BOAT COATING. It is a German one part Polyuretan Varnish product, that has been used for many years in Europe. In Northern Europe, with not so strong sunlight, they claim it last for 10 years. Then after a lightly sanding and a new layer, it last many years again. It is now imported to the US. It has been classified as the Worlds Best Marine Coating. Perfect for outdors Teakwood.
Old 20-06-2020, 18:59   #21

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Interlux Interprime sealer for a fast build then top coat with 3-6 coats of Interlux Schooner 96 is what I do when I have exterior wood I want to look good and last.

I do not do epoxy as I don't want to swear when it needs to come off. And it will need to come off at one point.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:07   #22

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would use the polyurethane. It holds the UV protection well, and unlike epoxy, it can be removed with solvents should you ever need to re-surface it.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 10:27   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I am trying to see what to use if I change how I finish some outside teak on the sailboat. They are two flat boards that I have been using teak oil on. Now that we are in shutdown I have been polishing and waxing everything. I have found that under these boards, after a rain, there is faint teak oil spots. Clean and after the next rain they appear again. They were lightly oiled months ago.

I have thought to clean the boards and cover with a varnish. I did this years ago and ended up removing it after a few years. A friend recommended to use a 2 part epoxy or a 2 part Poly-urethne. I am in Grenada and the boards are constantly in the sun.

These products are available here both with UV protective additive. Epoxy is West System or Sea Hawk. The Poly is Epifanes.

Recommendations on what to do, how to apply, and if Epoxy, which manufacturer?

With varnish I use multiple coats, with this change, do you also apply many coats?

Thanks
Aloisius.
Dave
Dave, live with the faint teak oil spot. JMHO, you are about to open a can of worms.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:40   #24

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I use on of the boards to hold my OB engine when I pull it p on the dinghy davits. The other is for a stern anchor. It has not been mounted for years so generally ropes are mounted on it.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 08:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I use on of the boards to hold my OB engine when I pull it p on the dinghy davits. The other is for a stern anchor. It has not been mounted for years so generally ropes are mounted on it.
Exterior marine paint is much better than any clear product.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy