Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 09:18   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: What types of problems delayed your delivery?

It is hard to recall all the little things that have gone haywire over the years but every one is a learning experience. Other peoples boats that you have been hired to move or deliver don't necessarily have the same unique quirks and issues that a delivery crew has to deal with but they fall within several broad categories on a fairly predictable basis. In order, I would say
1. Fuel
2. Electrical/Electronics
3. Plumbing
4. Running rigging
5. Mechanical
My experience, which is only my personal look at problem issues, may not match up with other skippers who operate in different locales. Most of my deliveries were a mix of power and sail, few multi hulls, a fair number of vessels where the owner wanted to accompany me on the delivery, particularly if they just bought the boat.
I usually spent a day going over the boat and the systems to familiarize myself with the vessel depending on the length of the trip. If I turned up some negatives or defects that led to a lack of seaworthyness, then time to talk with the owner/broker before moving the boat and have the deficiencies addressed.
I always brought my own tools and basic inventory of parts for repair underway. Any parts needed to make the boat seaworthy before leaving was the owners responsibility. If I did the repair underway, he was charged the day rate plus parts... all spelled out in the contract before leaving. I had one guy wanting me to paint a forward stateroom on a trip down to Mexico. I suggested if he wanted a painter, hire one but do the job in port.
The only other major issue I can recall was on a trip north aboard a 52 sail from Puerto Vallarta to Los Angeles. Crew of 2 plus myself. Turned the corner for the slog north and on of the crew totally lost it... screaming, hallucinating. physically fighting myself and the other crew member who was a woman. Turns out he was a full blown manic depressive and had gone off or forgot his meds. We finally restrained him, wrapped him up in a sleeping bag so he couldn't kick holes in the bulkheads and headed back to Cabo and turned him over to the authorities and made the trip north with just the two of us. Very disconcerting to say the least but the woman crew handled it like a trooper and did a number of other deliveries with me over the years.
You are always going to find that there are issues that come up on strange boats even if they are in great nick or brand new out of the box. The experenced gained from each passage adds to a tool kit that gives you the confidence and competence to resolve just about anything the ocean can throw at you. Great way to make a living provided you are patient, knowlegeable, treat your crew like you would want to be treated and keep a meticulous log and good records. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 09:52   #17

Fuel tank leaking into bilge. no leak prior to leaving, just enough vibration etc for it to finally fail on a boat that had sat for most of 5 years....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:50   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

For current boat (only one bought away from home) the biggest problem was......me!

Mostly juggling the time to bring her over, between weather / work commitments and other (better?!) things to do (hey, I'm easily distracted!). I think took me the best part of a year from purchase to delivery (by self), albeit I did stop off to see her a few times when coming to or from somewhere warm.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:28   #19

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Leaking tanks are a bitch, cheechako... they usually start small, hardly even noticeable but a good nose will be the first telltale. If a vessel hasn't been away from the dock in sometime and there is a solid covering of sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank,a little mixing up out on the ocean can break loose the crap that is plugging a pinhole in the corner of the fuel tank which is the most common area for failure to occur. Once it begins, there is nothing to it but drain the tank and repair. If you're lucky, you can remove the tank for a thorough inspection, cleaning and repair out of the boat. This is preferable because there may be other thin spots that need addressing or perhaps a whole new replacement tank is in order. Tank welding insitu is a tricky and should probably be done by a pro familiar with tank purging, tig and steel welding, etc.
The water that sat in the bottom corner for years may have been lurking in other corners as well. If you can't get the tank out, one solution is to cut it up where it is and remove. Replace with 2 or 3 smaller tanks that are hooked together and have easy to access inspection ports and valved to isolate, polish fuel separately and remove individually if required.
Black water tanks are a whole different problem and the odor can be quite offputting. Most times I've found that it isn't the tank that is leaking but a valve or breather tube is blocked. whatever the cause, it is a crappy job to fix... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 19:02   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Oh CRAP! I did forget about insane crew! Thankyou Capt Phil! I duct taped a female into a mattress once after knocking her out cold. Dunno if it was too many "meds" or too few, but she went full on nutzo 100 miles off shore.
Old 23-04-2012, 02:47   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Captgeo,

Sounds like a good story for the Sailor's Confessional forum! Don't leave us hanging!
Old 23-04-2012, 11:11   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Oh CRAP! I did forget about insane crew! Thankyou Capt Phil! I duct taped a female into a mattress once after knocking her out cold. Dunno if it was too many "meds" or too few, but she went full on nutzo 100 miles off shore.
I don't beleive you took no pics.......

Sharing is caring .

(telephone no. would also be appreciated )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 12:57   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
sheesh and I wondered if my experience was unique, in my case it was a male, ( you're a brave man touching a women!). full on nutzo in the middle of a storm, boy that was a delivery Id like to forget. only time crew went off the wall.

Biggest thing that delayed me.. Sinking....., otherwise three weeks fixing a owners boat >...!

Dave

Tags
delivery