Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 19:18   #16

Re: What would you do for a mast?

This helps, thanks for everyone who's chimed in so far. I've been going back and forth between "I could make it work" and "It's just desperation making me even consider it". The deck stepped mast was snapped at the lower spreaders but I've thought I could rig the lower section with dyneema easily enough. I'm guessing I'd have about 20' of mast and would have at least SOME sail up. I don't know how much it'd settle the ride down, but it'd be better than nothing and as pointed out, it'd be mostly downwind anyway.

Then the other voice kicks in and reminds me I'd be taking her out of safe harbor in an already damaged condition and hoping for the best during a week long trip in open water. I don't THINK I'm crazy... but I started to question whether my confidence and optimism might not be leading me to take some unnecessary risks. But then the first voice reminds me that's life and if I wanted to avoid any risks I wouldn't be on the boat in the first place... as long as they're prudent and planned. You know?

As far as how I feel about making the trip back south against the wind afterwards... I bet it.d feel pretty good after everything I will have been through by then. Isn't that what it's all about? I'm too old to have any notion that life will always have me heading down wind.
Mika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 19:42   #17

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I believe you nailed it down.
I will be willing to try in these circumstances ,however,more likely will like to stack the odds in my favor and for that will more likely try to induce a good skipper delivery sailor,(there is one very active on this forum,not sure I can name him but will be happy to give you his name on a private mail} and will play second fiddler to him,as the crew who will write the checks.
In addition he seems to have good experience on systems and equipment and will be a very good consultant to improve the quality and safety of the temporary mast.
If he or somebody like with that much experience will agree,will certainly be a plus and something to relish and remember always.
Good luck.
Wish I could do it.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 20:31   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Is there a clean break or bend in the existing mast? and could it be sleeved as they do to make some long masts?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 21:23   #19

It's a fairly clean break but there's some deformation where it folded. It *could* be sleeved but that's not the kind of repair I'm ultimately looking to make. I'm sure there are people here who have sailed with a sleeved mast for years without issue (or know or have heard of people who have) but that's not my style. I prefer to fix things properly when I can. Besides, with the way things are on the island it probably wouldn't be done any sooner to just sleeve it and step it again with new rigging. Thanks for throwing that thought out though. All input is appreciated.
Mika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 00:34   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Where is he gonna find 100' of straight plumbing pipe ? And a welder ?oh and btw welding ( or grinding ) galvy is a pretty unpleasant experience
you could just as easily use rebar,and if you are worried about the fumes i'm sure there will be plenty of locals not too worried about health and safety

a friend of mine is currently building a 60ft wooden box section mast on his deck,on a mooring at the moment,which will weigh about 1200kg once it is planed down and tapered.......

some people only see obstacles......others see challenges
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:31   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mika.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:23   #22

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Sent you PM
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:26   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Try calling FKG Rigging in St Maarten and get a quote. It is only 80 miles and you can ship a new mast here from Florida on Tropical Shipping by ocean freight very reasonably. I had them look at a couple of insurance claims I am handling and they are not extremely busy right now. I would not let the contractors in BVI do anything.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you could just as easily use rebar,and if you are worried about the fumes i'm sure there will be plenty of locals not too worried about health and safety
Not very nice !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika1 View Post
It's a fairly clean break but there's some deformation where it folded. It *could* be sleeved but that's not the kind of repair I'm ultimately looking to make. I'm sure there are people here who have sailed with a sleeved mast for years without issue (or know or have heard of people who have) but that's not my style. .
Many larger section " proper " masts are manufactured with sleeve within and can be very stylish !! , just cut the damaged bit off with a grinder , ( presuming you have access to power ) sleeving is very easy and bulldog your rigging to suit , you can do it all yourself , ( you might need some help lifting the mast back in !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:24   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my neighbor had sleeved his mast 6 years ago. cannot even see the sleeving work, and is as strong as ever., sad you donot wish to repair what you have, as that is always best option.
find the salvor in that region and discuss parts purchasing. he will have access to all the damaged boats and control over the viable parts.
and then there is la fiell or whoever is manufacturing masts these days.
good luck.
you have choices and options.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42   #27

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

You really need to stop and examine your options realistically. You are talking about a major open ocean voyage! Have you ever sailed in really big seas? It’s unlikely but possible to encounter 25 - ? Foot seas, I have encountered 50+ in my years of experience. In a mastless sailboat? Don’t be silly, ship in a new mast, your life is worth it!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47   #28

https://youtu.be/64l29uncetY
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:13   #29

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Are the remains of your mast totally unusable? Could they be shortened? sleeved? Re used temporarily?
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm sure the people suggesting some of these Jury rigs are well intentioned. Sounds as though you have better sense. I'd rather motor than having something that might come down around you, so to speak.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast