Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2021, 09:23   #1

Boat: Sabre 34
Wheel

I have a leather-wrapped wheel and it's in need of some TLC but I can't seem to figure how, want to get some opinions as to how to proceed.

Take a look at the photos, the cover has come off at a few spots and is about to come off at one additional spot, I can thread the spot in photo 2 but doubt will get the cover to approximate with each other. I already cleaned and conditioned the cover and it feels good.

Finally, I know I can just get rid of the cover and polish the stainless but I really like how it feels on my hands and would like to keep it if possible. I can even use it as is but the gap has been increasing over the past 2 years and want to repair if I can.

Thanks.

P.S. I am not sure why some photos are sideways, can someone tell me how to fix them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	235577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	235578  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	235579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	235580  

Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Wheel

The stitching on the inside of ours deteriorated and we were able to restitch to approximate the original look. We haven't had a gap appear. There are kits available to replace. They look pretty straight forward. Google around. Sailrite might have one.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:32   #3

Knotical,

This is purely speculation on my part, but intuitively, I would say that being exposed to the sun and salt would make leather (a type of skin, remember) shrink/contract over time.

I would think that a proper fix would involve taking the entire cover off and bringing it to a leather-crafter to sew in some replacement pieces and then re-threading the cover back onto your wheel.

We have a fantastic guy in Toronto who does any and all kinds of leatherwork called "The Leatherman", but that's a looooong way away from Long Island Sound - and across a closed border.

There's just got to be some funky ol' hippy closer to you who would know what to do...!

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Knotical,

This is purely speculation on my part, but intuitively, I would say that being exposed to the sun and salt would make leather (a type of skin, remember) shrink/contract over time.

I would think that a proper fix would involve taking the entire cover off and bringing it to a leather-crafter to sew in some replacement pieces and then re-threading the cover back onto your wheel.

We have a fantastic guy in Toronto who does any and all kinds of leatherwork called "The Leatherman", but that's a looooong way away from Long Island Sound - and across a closed border.

There's just got to be some funky ol' hippy closer to you who would know what to do...!

Good luck,
LittleWing77
Thanks, LittleWing, the sun exposure makes sense. I will try to find a local leather shop and may just take the entire wheel to them so they can do everything.
Old 31-03-2021, 09:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Leather in that exposed position is likely to be either a maintenance problem or a Problem problem. On the other hand, the canvas cover is within the realm of a skilled seamstress. It will take a canvas strip exactly one width so the stitching stays even all the way around. Consider a sun resistant cloth. You are inspiring me to cover my destroyer wheel.
Old 31-03-2021, 09:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Thanks, LittleWing, the sun exposure makes sense. I will try to find a local leather shop and may just take the entire wheel to them so they can do everything.
I definitely know the feel of well-worn leather on one's hands!

As the others suggested, you could just replace it - but then you'd have the bother of breaking it in all over again.

Once you've got it repaired, remember to ask the leather-crafter what the best cleaner-"moisturizer" is for suede. I know we used to clean our saddles with saddle soap - but that's for flat leather.

With its nap, suede will be a different story...

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 09:53   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If it is just the stitching that deteriorated and the leather is still strong you might try soaking it with fresh water and then use a "baseball stitch" to draw it back together...gently.

edit, never mind, I see some of the leather is deteriorated. I like the leather shop idea.

As far as fixing photos, you might try exporting them to your desktop and shrink them a little in the process and then upload them from there. Works for me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 10:18   #8

Boat: Hylas 54

These guys will recover your wheel for you, or sell you a kit to do it yourself.
https://boatleather.com/
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:05   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Edson sells kits for their wheels too.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:13   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

I’ve seen leather wheel covers on EBay for sailboats. I think I did a search for “beneteau parts” or something.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:23   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have done several wheels using the kit from BoatLeather. You need to be accurate in your measurement, but follow their directions, get the feel of hand stitching, and it is a project you can do at home, at your convenience. Plus you get the satisfaction of another boat project completed.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 13:10   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've been doing my own leathering for many years. I buy offcuts of appropriate leather from leather supply houses, cut into strips, use a hammer driven hole punch along both sides of the strips and then sew in place on the wheel with sail twine.

Even the first time, where I had to buy the rolling knife and hole punch it was way less expensive than even the kits, let alone having someone else do the job.

It usually lasts around a decade in our active full time cruising life. When the leather has reached the state that the OP reports there is no useful means of reincarnating it. Replacement is required.

Jim
Old 31-03-2021, 13:40   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
I have a leather-wrapped wheel and it's in need of some TLC but I can't seem to figure how, want to get some opinions as to how to proceed.

Take a look at the photos, the cover has come off at a few spots and is about to come off at one additional spot, I can thread the spot in photo 2 but doubt will get the cover to approximate with each other. I already cleaned and conditioned the cover and it feels good.

Finally, I know I can just get rid of the cover and polish the stainless but I really like how it feels on my hands and would like to keep it if possible. I can even use it as is but the gap has been increasing over the past 2 years and want to repair if I can.

Thanks.

P.S. I am not sure why some photos are sideways, can someone tell me how to fix them?
Hi, Knotical,

With regards to your PS. The moderator Janet H is the one who knows most about posting pictures, although weavis posted a tutorial here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-133457.html

With the covers Jim has made, any time the leather is pieced, you need to stitch it together with ptfe thread (like Tenara, but there are other brands), because the UV from the sun eats the dacron thread. (Or specify its use, if you order it done.) But, to corroborate what Jim wrote, when little holes start showing up in the leather, it is finished, and probably will cost more to repair and replace than to replace with new.

Using conditioner on it does extend its working life, but the life is finite anyway. I was thinking in terms of 4-5 yrs, but Jim will have remembered better.

Ann
Old 31-03-2021, 13:44   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

cut the old cover off and start over? I did.
Old 31-03-2021, 16:19   #15

Thanks a lot for all the ideas, it seems like getting a new cover is the way to go.

Ann - thank you for the thread recommendation.

Tags
wheel