Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 12:09   #1

Question Wheel to tiller conversion

Hello Folks, I'm looking at an Islander 36 equipped with a factory wheel. That's the only thing about the boat I am not enamored with. Has anyone converted their wheel to a tiller? If so, I would like to know the particulars of that operation/job. The boat was originally a tiller boat, then the wheels became standard later in the production run. With the skeg mounted rudder I'm assuming prop wash will make for a heavy helm, but other than that what I've gleaned so far is that it can be done. What I would love to see is some photos of before, during and after the refit, but I'm sure that's asking for the moon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
donnrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 17:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Wheel to tiller conversion

One of my marina mates was an Islander 36 with a tiller. Don't remember much about it except it must have had a pretty large diameter rudder stock as the tiller head was large.

Here's an old discussion on doing the conversion.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-186937.html
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 18:28   #3

I know it SEEMS like a great idea, and honestly, I think it probably is.

But before you undertake such a project, you might want to rig up you emergency tiller and use it for a couple sails. You can also use that to figure out how long the tiller needs to be, and how much the tiller will try to break your arm when you back down under engine power.

The actual mechanics of connecting to the rudder post aren't at all complex. I'll bet the emergency tiller will show you almost everything you need to know. It's the minor little design decisions like tiller length and height and clearances that will make the difference between a great conversion and something you wish you hadn't started.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 18:35   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnrw1 View Post
Hello Folks, I'm looking at an Islander 36 equipped with a factory wheel. That's the only thing about the boat I am not enamored with. Has anyone converted their wheel to a tiller? If so, I would like to know the particulars of that operation/job. The boat was originally a tiller boat, then the wheels became standard later in the production run. With the skeg mounted rudder I'm assuming prop wash will make for a heavy helm, but other than that what I've gleaned so far is that it can be done. What I would love to see is some photos of before, during and after the refit, but I'm sure that's asking for the moon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Don't have a line on conversion photos yet, but welcome aboard!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:00   #5

The problem with this is your boat isnt small.

I dont know your specifics, but the wheel you have probably simulates over 600-700 lbs force. It takes a very long tiller to replace that. I forget my own data exactly, but I think I have a 20" wheel and a 24" drum, and thats over 700 lbs force. Something around what, a 10-12 foot tiller?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:44   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I recently changed the steering configuration on a 37 ft. sloop for a customer, it had an emergency tiller head, so the wheel was removed, and a tiller fabricated, this was done because it was impossible to reach the sheet winches from behind the wheel, the boat was set up for racing, with a crew, so the winches would have been manned by them. Year's ago, i rebuilt a 44 ft.Phillip Rhodes Sloop for myself [woody,50 yrs. old], on of the problem's was She was low in the stern, so i was trying to eliminate weight, noting that there was tiller head, i realized, she was originally a tiller helm, a previous owner had converted to a wheel, a beautiful custom bronze unit, that weighed along with the teak wheel and compass, over 100 lbs. this helped bring the stern up.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 13:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Donnrw1, here is a starter for 10:

https://www.jefa.com/products/tiller/tiller.htm

If the wheel pedestal is in good condition they sell well on e bay and ought to pay for the conversion.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 16:19   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

7--that stuff looks OK for emergency tiller.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 18:20   #9

Boat: Contest 35

30 years ago I converted my '72 Islander 36 from wheel to tiller and then sailed her around the world. I don't have an pictures but I cam tell you the steps I took. Never regretted the change...

Rich
rtooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 00:16   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

1st let me say that the Islander 36 is one of the best all around sailboats ever made.

Nothing gives you a better "Feel" for a boat than a tiller. For racing its ideal.
Having said that, all the Americas Cup boats have wheels, as well as all the big racing boats.
A tiller requires a lot more cockpit space than a wheel when you consider the back and forth swing.
Not sure why you want to switch from wheel to tiller. Either way you wont go wrong with the I 36.
Enjoy.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, donnrw1.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 15:20   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
7--that stuff looks OK for emergency tiller.
I would hope that emergency steering is at least as strong as the normal tiller.

I think the top section is the normal stuff, certainly looks very similar to my tiller head.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel