Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 18:37   #1

When is "Full" really "Full"

I changed the oil in my Yanmar 4jh3te today. It sits on an angled bed and is not horizontal, the dipstick is at the aft end of the oil pan.

The level on the dipstick shows full at 6 qts. The manual says the engine is full at 6.5l, or just under 7qts. The manual also indicates that I should not overfill. The angle of the engine will cause the oil to drain back and show a deeper volume.

The manual does not specify if overfull is total number of quarts added or is the level on the dipstick.

Which full do you use?
SV Sedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 19:27   #2

Re: When is "Full" really "Full"

I would use volume, not the dip stick.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 19:59   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The manual says total capacity is 6.3L when the engine is inclined 7 degrees. That should fill it to the upper mark on the dipstick when you have completely drained the pan and changed the oil filter. I'd use 6 quarts and then top up to the dip stick after you have started the engine and circulated the new oil.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 05:08   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I would say it's full when the dipstick says it is full.
Old 27-06-2017, 03:18   #5

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The manual says total capacity is 6.3L when the engine is inclined 7 degrees. That should fill it to the upper mark on the dipstick when you have completely drained the pan and changed the oil filter. I'd use 6 quarts and then top up to the dip stick after you have started the engine and circulated the new oil.
What "donradcliffe" said. The issue with trying to use volume is that you never remove 100% of the old oil during a change. In fact, many engines end up with 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart still in the pan when drained as much as possible. Also, his point on slight underfill, run the engine and then top to dipstick mark is spot on. A bit underfull is better than a bit overfull everytime. Why? Because the last thing you want is for the spinning crankshaft to be slapping oil in the pan on each revolution.

Wade Ellison
Ret. ASE Master Tech
onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 03:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewadd View Post
What "donradcliffe" said. The issue with trying to use volume is that you never remove 100% of the old oil during a change. In fact, many engines end up with 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart still in the pan when drained as much as possible. Also, his point on slight underfill, run the engine and then top to dipstick mark is spot on. A bit underfull is better than a bit overfull everytime. Why? Because the last thing you want is for the spinning crankshaft to be slapping oil in the pan on each revolution.

Wade Ellison
Ret. ASE Master Tech
Indeed.

And that total oil capacity per the specifications and fill volume are two different things. You do not by any means get all the oil out, when you drain it -- a lot of oil remains in the cooler, passages, etc. I usually get something less than 6 liters into my 4JH3HTE. Don't overfill!

Lastly, note well that 4JH Yanmars, for some bizarre reason, need the oil checked NOT after the engine has been shut down for a while so that the oil drains down, as with every other non dry sump engine (check dry sump engines like Porsche 911 with the engine idling) I have had in the last 40 years, but immediately after shut down.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:32   #7

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

In the past the marks were put on the dipstick by an authorized mechanic after the engine is in the boat. They have a table giving the appropriate measurements for the dipstick based on the installation angle. Assuming Yanmar follows this practice then use the markings on the dipstick. Easy enough to confirm with any Yanamr diwtributor, or go pull out a dipstick on a new engine as see if the dipstick has any marking. My bet is that it is blank.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:03   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed.

And that total oil capacity per the specifications and fill volume are two different things. You do not by any means get all the oil out, when you drain it -- a lot of oil remains in the cooler, passages, etc. I usually get something less than 6 liters into my 4JH3HTE. Don't overfill!

Lastly, note well that 4JH Yanmars, for some bizarre reason, need the oil checked NOT after the engine has been shut down for a while so that the oil drains down, as with every other non dry sump engine (check dry sump engines like Porsche 911 with the engine idling) I have had in the last 40 years, but immediately after shut down.
Can you help me understand this? I also have a Yanmar 4JH3-HTE and I had not heard of the recommendation to check the oil immediately after shutdown. My manual makes no mention of this, but instead lists "Checking and Resupplying Engine Lube Oil" in the section of the manual "Inspection Before Starting". This has been my regular practice - check the oil before starting the engine.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:15   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

Also remember that in these engines the dipstick tube is an airtight chamber. Therefore, the first time you pull the dipstick you will usually get a wrong reading because of trapped air. Remove, clean, reinsert and then check the level. Air trapped in the space can make the level appear low on the first pull of the dipstick.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote