Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 16:50   #31

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran
Re: Where on Earth do you find these parts?!

Wow.... nice job on the part Offshore 1960!
That's very similar to what Jason's dad wants to do. I think that may be ticket. We were hoping to have a piece in our hands before we get there instead of trying to put it together while in an area that we aren't familiar with the shops and reputations, etc. I suppose we may not have that option but this is great info. Much obliged!

DeepFrz- it's actually a Roger Simpson catamaran. I think he may have been English but operated out of Australia. This particular boat was built in the UK.

Thanks for the tips on galling probs too!
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 20:39   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you decide to try t he casting route, remember that the pattern must be a bit larger in all dimensions than the finished casting will be. This is due to the shrinkage in the metal as it cools from the liquid state to room temp solid. this means that you can not simply use an existing part as a pattern. A nuisance that mother nature has thrown up for us!

Jim
Old 13-10-2016, 03:41   #33

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well, it seems options abound.

Good to get some clarifications on size and application.

While working with molten metal and sand casting certainly has its' attractions, (at least to me), it seems that from an efficiency point of view machining from a solid block of bronze might win out in the end.

For instance, a piece of C95400 aluminum bronze, 2 1/2" x 2" x 12" (enough for 2 gudgeons), is 112.64, plus shipping, from Bravo Bronze,

C95400 Flat Bar 2-1/2" Thick x 12" Wide - C95400 Aluminum Bronze - Shop By Alloy - Shop Alloys

I'm not sure this is the best alloy for the application, but I'm sure a call to them would steer you in the right direction.

Regarding machinability, in my limited experience with bronze, it seems that bronze was a little easier to work with than stainless, though that is probably a function of the alloy one's working with.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 04:49   #34

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

One more idea to consider - design the piece and have it 3D printed, test to ensure fit, send 3D printed piece for duplication in bronze.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 04:52   #35

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran

Thanks Jim!
So when Jason looked for SS last time he'd looked at the wrong piece and therefore the price was way off. We'd also thought of bronze but didn't look into it enough. Seems like the right material. The link to the bronze is perfect. Thank you. Originally we talked about fabricating something to get us back home and then machining a piece after we got the boat home. I think we may just try and machine it off our measurements at our friends shop and get it as perfect as we can to bring it down to the boat with us.

Everyone has really been so helpful.
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts