Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2007, 22:51   #16

I spoke to a boat carpenter yesterday. I am tempted to have him do the work but I am pretty sure that he is going to put a a butt joint on the frame because I asked him where he would join it.

I doubt if he will use screws because everyone seems to use basic galvanised nails. Also when I pointed out the rot in the frame, he said - "no problem, epoxy"

It would be nice to have the job done as his friend is a caulker and will finish the job by caulking it out. But I have doubts about it being a good job. The one positive side is that I will learn how they do the work.

Any thoughts ?
Dave-Fethiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 11:49   #17

I decided against the carpenter!
Today I bought some wood preserver,and I have to apply two coats, the 2nd one 12 hours after the first, so I'll do the second coat tomorrow.

Two different carpğebters said that they make the joins on the frame !

This maybe because the construction is like this:
Instead of one complete bent and jonted frame they have two side by side and bolted together. This means that the where one of the frame pieces has finished ( with a 1cm gap - not jointed) the other frame has a continous piece and so with two bolted together you get a thick frame ( nearly 4" ) You can see this in the photo below.

The gap between frames is narrow - ony about 9" - For this reason they always fasten onto the frame.

I have cut the wood out accordingly and have scoured out some rooten wood from one the frames with my electric drill and soaked that with wood presever as well. I am going to screw in an extra piece of preserved wood to give additional strenth to one of the frames.

I am feeling much more confident about the boat now that I have decided to do the work myself.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repairs 013.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1343  
Dave-Fethiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 12:29   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Those sawn double frames do look pretty massive. Over here steam bent oak frames are more common, which are smaller, thus the aversion to butting a plank on a frame. Building practices do vary from place to place and this may be a common way of doing it in Turkey. I have no experience with this so I can't say how "correct" this would be.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote