Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 11:23   #16

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Where to Store Paper Charts ?

Our dining table is on a raised platform about 7 inches high. It has a wide drawer under there where we store our chart books.
Old 18-11-2012, 18:55   #17

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
With some pre-planning you could store in the headliner. Good insulation also.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 19:38   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I always plastic bagged mine and stored them under the mattress. Yes, they get in the way but I got used to it.
No way would I go anywhere without paper charts of the area. So much more fun to use.
kind regards,
Old 18-11-2012, 21:54   #19

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Hope to someday have a sailboat large enough (& body of water large enough) to use this. 25 drawer, 30" x 30" x 1" deep. Holds about anything you can think of that is paper or photography related. Would be great for charts. This would not fit in the compaionway of my CM 32.

Running a drawer upside down makes a wonderful table. Pick any height you want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121118_235243.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	49921
Old 18-11-2012, 22:12   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Hey guys, we don't use them, but when we cast off next SPring, I want to take them with me.

Yes, we use GPS. But I am not 100% certain that the powers who control GPS won't disable it at some stage for whatever reason... so I'd like to have the charts just in case.

The charts we currently have stack about 10cm high. The dilemma is, where to store them.

We don't have a chart table (on account of never using charts), although we do have a fairly large 'dining' table over the spinnaker locker! Have thought about shoving them under mattresses, but don't like the idea, since we access the berth lockers regularly.

Any more ideas? They don't need to be easily accessible, just available if GPS ever crashes...
I wish I had your 10 cm problem. Thanx to SkiprJohn, I'm about 30 cm's so far. After I finish the roller furling and re-cut 2 sails and remove the rest, I will have a little more room.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 22:23   #21

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

My current boat has a substantial chart draw at the nav station which I love. However my previous boat had a very innovative draw attatched under the dining table that fitted charts folded in half. It was very practical, out of the way and not a difficult or expensive job for a competent cabinetmaker.
Old 19-11-2012, 12:04   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Celestial,
You're welcome. : )
Old 19-11-2012, 19:59   #23

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Here's another vote for under the mattress. I have water tanks and batteries under the quarter berth. Not a place I have to get into very often. And even if I did it would be way far from the hardest thing to get to on my boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:47   #24
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I think that you are confusing two different functions. A chart (electronic or paper) tells you where things are, while a GPS (or sextant or DR plot) tells you where you are. The confusion is understandable because a chartplotter combines both functions. I don't think that the GPS system is going to go down. The world could not function without it and there is a lot of redundancy. A (much) more likely scenario is a failure of the boat's GPS receiver so backups here are crucial.
How to say this without getting political... I think there is a DAMNED good chance that any technology controlled by governments could go down at the whim of those governments. Also, whilst I appreciate that chartplotters can still function without GPS, plotting a course and position on a screen with calipers and a ruler isn't so easy. Also, I fear that were fuel ever become hard to get, for whatever reason, then we'd be screwed as far as any electronic devices go.

Paranoid? Perhaps.

Against the rules? Only if the topic becomes disruptive, and this is NOT the topic I want to discuss anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Where are you going to store your sextant, Saucy, for when the GPS stops telling you where you are?
HWMO says "On the boat". I guess we could do with ideas for that too. I'm just coming round to the idea of leaving the sewing machine at M-I-L's house, since we probably can't take that AND the bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
With some pre-planning you could store in the headliner. Good insulation also.
What's a headliner?

I like the idea of adding shelves to roof space in the quaterberth or foreberth. HWMO wanted to add one to the lifting lid of spinnaker locker / dining table / chart table, but I think that would just make it incredibly heavy to lift.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 12:31   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I have seen people store them against the hull, there is a slot on the back of the nav table and the drop back behind all the drawers and such. My boat has shelf that extends back under my side deck. I am building a nav table that is deep enough to store commonly used charts,chart books, laptop, navigation toolls,etc. paper charts not used commonly can be stored in a tube.
Old 25-11-2012, 12:53   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I have seen people store them against the hull, .

Inside or Outside? Because this Islands 44 is total crap and a bit of British admiralty might suffocate the bloody barnacles.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts