Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2024, 09:49   #16

Re: Which digital caliper to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
I prefer dial calipers. The electronic display batteries often run down when you don't use it often. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0142HWYIW/
I go even further, possessing both kinds: A dial caliper even the cheapest, is better than most any digital caliper: the digital caliper battery fails when and only when you most need it whereas the dial caliper battery never ever fails and unless used recklessly - such as for scribing marks, hammering, being dropped repeatedly, is the choice for accuracy and durability.
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 10:23   #17

If you only need .01" accuracy, PLEASE buy a dial caliper, they are more accurate than you need and the never need batteries. Trust me, you will be happier.
tjr818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 11:09   #18

Boat: IP 44

Thats why I got this cheapo plastic $1.99 piece from Harbor Fright. Accurate enough for most things I use it for, like hose, rope, hole, bolt size, etc. Drop in the water- who cares. If I need .000 accuracy I'll dig out the good one. But I rarely need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	289040  
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 13:33   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

The batteries go dead because these are never really off. Just the display is off, this is so that it can track the position. I just pull the battery when not using it. The batteries last a long time and I always have at least one spare.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 15:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The batteries go dead because these are never really off. Just the display is off, this is so that it can track the position. I just pull the battery when not using it. The batteries last a long time and I always have at least one spare.
Exactly. I have one dial caliper and probably 6 digitals. The digitals are very nice. Batteries are really cheap. But a dozen or so and put a few in each case. My cases have spots for spares. Remove the battery when you aren't going to be using it for a while. If you forget, stick in another cheap battery and go!

Even the Harbor Freight units seem to be good for .001 inches.

Paying $100 for a caliper to measure .001 is crazy. When you drop the entire unit into coolant you will remember why its crazy.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 21:08   #21

Boat: S&S 40

$2000? A God digital vernier cost about 30$-60
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 23:49   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Digital, dial, lazy mongrels. Just buy a reasonably good quality vernier and look forward to a lifetime of reliable measuring.

Old 20-04-2024, 02:35   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I would give the digital a miss. Sooner or later you will need it and the battery will be dead and the nearest replacement battery will be two days' sail from where you are. Or the battery will leak and corrode the contacts.

I suggest a reasonably priced metal dial caliper for your fine tool drawer, and a few el cheapo amazon or harbor fright plastic vernier calipers for carrying around in your side pocket like when you go to the hardware store or chandler or junkyard and need to improvise something and so need a quick but fairly accurate measurement.

Learned my lesson about the digital ones back when they were still new and kewl. Wife recently bought me one for my birthday. She thought I was only using a mechanical dial caliper because I didn't have a digital one, but I was using the dial caliper because I use a dial caliper. The digital hasn't been out of the box yet and it has been in the shop almost two years now.

Sooner or later you will probably need to measure something in metric, because the world is an imperfect place. Get one that is marked in good honest patriotic American decimal inches and also in sillymeters, or else get a regular one and a metric one.
Old 20-04-2024, 03:59   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

No question about it: Mitutoyo.

You can safely buy on Amazon as long as you select a genuine seller. I don’t think any fakes are offered but when they are, the price is the giveaway.

Mitutoyo themselves sell on Amazon, as does Amazon and several genuine tool suppliers.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-.../dp/B00IG46NL2

But they sell dial calipers too if you prefer no battery. Solar powered doesn’t work if you store it in a bag, drawer etc.

Edit: here is the official Mitutoyo storefront on Amazon with all the caliper models they sell on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/8...6&ref_=ast_bln

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 06:13   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Oh come on, let's really take the guy back. I have a whole set of these, inside and outside, 0-4".

(I use digital calipers. Much faster and better. It seems pretty simple to keep spare batteries in the case and to turn it off when finished. The batteries should last many years.)

Another handy measuring tool, that I actually use more often, is a drill gauge. Works for bolts, small shafts, ball bearings ... and drills.

Old 20-04-2024, 09:05   #26
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
On my digital calipers i believe the problem is the auto-on feature. It turns on with the smallest vibration, thus on the boat it is constantly turning itself on. Unfortunately pulling the battery after each use eventually wears out the battery cover. My dial calipers area the ones I keep on the boat.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 09:34   #27
JPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Solar powered doesn’t work if you store it in a bag, drawer etc.
Sure they do. My solar powered Mitutoyo calipers live in a drawer in my garage. As soon as I pull them out of the drawer they power right up, just from the lights in the garage.
JPK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 11:35   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Sure they do. My solar powered Mitutoyo calipers live in a drawer in my garage. As soon as I pull them out of the drawer they power right up, just from the lights in the garage.
Oh that’s cool Mine take a battery and it lasted 15 years before I replaced it last year

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2024, 11:56   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
Harbor Freight.........
NO!!!!!! While they might work, they NEVER keep a zero...
Old 20-04-2024, 12:32   #30
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgary View Post
NO!!!!!! While they might work, they NEVER keep a zero...

They have a button that says "zero."

Tags
cal