Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 00:57   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Which tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
As a long term live aboard easily bored I find one of these handy.
Good you! Now, that's practical!
Old 23-10-2016, 07:31   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Now I recall I also enjoy a fine dremmel tool. Found it pretty useful.

We live aboard so by default our box is bigger than a weekend user might like.

Still, nowhere close to 100 lbs, maybe 20 lbs at best.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:40   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Which tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Electrical crimping tool and connectors. Leave the solder set at home.

Several things are soldered, the wire in most connectors for instance or the wires that connect to your VHF Mike. Crimp when you can of course, but you just might need a soldering iron and rosin solder.

I have gravitated towards bags and fishing tackle boxes. The plastic boxes to separate things like electrical crimps etc. I try to keep Metric in one bag, Standard in another, special tools in another and wood worjpking in a different bag.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 08:00   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

omg...tools! how driven are you by "man candy"? According to the insatiable appetite of my resident handy man you need to have a full set of everything in metric and non-metric tools. The tools you actually need you should have 2 of each. Then you should also have full sets of cheap tools "just in case".

Then, dremmel, grinder (2), electric (bettery) drivers, drill, 1\4 sheet sander, electrical crimper....and buckets (dozens) of consumables including tape of all kinds, glues, epoxies and hardeners, fiberglass mat , several types of sheers and 3 types of handsaws. There is also an abundance of small custom tools for spcific jobs made for our boat by the PO. And 2 pair of bolt cutters.

The ridiculousness of this answer is realy to point out that, if you truly are solidly DIY, your tools list will be huge! If there is work you know you wil never touch you can probably get by with much less.

I thought about restricting my electrician, capenter, plumber, rigger, mechanic to just rescue tape and a leatherman but I like to keep the boat up and water out. So we are dining on fish and seaweed because they require no storage (for which there is none left)
Old 23-10-2016, 08:04   #20

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

I'd suggest vacuum sealing some of the tools that you least use. Keeps 'em nice and fresh for the next time that you need to use them.

Also, sit down and think realistically about what sort of jobs/repairs you are actually likely to do. There is no sense hauling around a machine shop's worth of tools if you aren't ever actually going to need them.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 13:27   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Good you! Now, that's practical!
The mills not in the photo.

The down side is the amount of good Samaritan work you end up doing, ranging from making parts for someone's motorcycle to refacing the end plates on impeller pumps and machining the commutators on autopilot motors to name a few. Does make me new friends though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 13:35   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I'd suggest vacuum sealing some of the tools that you least use. Keeps 'em nice and fresh for the next time that you need to use them.

Also, sit down and think realistically about what sort of jobs/repairs you are actually likely to do. There is no sense hauling around a machine shop's worth of tools if you aren't ever actually going to need them.
I have found that bags made out of the cut off legs of jeans soaked in oil makes a good storage place for hand tools. Plastic bags and boxes tend to hold moisture which allows them to rust. (Tip, cut the legs off the jeans before you soak them in oil)

There are extremes, I have made repairs on other peoples boats and in reply to the question "do you have a screw driver" been handed very rusty, double ended thing which apparently came with their Chinese manufactured outboard and that it's just about the only tool on the boat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 04:29   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
I'm starting to plan my dedicated boat tool kit. I'm thinking,
2 sets of US wrenches.
2 US socket sets deep and short.
A couple ratchets and extensions.
Extensive set of Phillips and straight slot screw drivers.
Crescents, pliers, hammers, crow bars.
Wire pliers, solder set,
Extensive nut bolt, washer selection.

I have hand drills, and drill,bits.

I'd add metric wrenches and sockets, too. Sometimes for metric nuts (especially metric-centric engines), but sometimes either a metric or an SAE may fit a specific nut better (especially if that nut has been slightly damaged).

Then go through the engine, transmission, etc. to be sure you've got a socket and a wrench that will fit every nut you can find. (I found our transmission filter nut was a few size larger than anything that would normally be included in a made-up "set" of sockets. 29mm or 32mm or some such (can't remember exactly, but I've got the solution on board now).

Add metric and SAE allen keys.

Add a strap wrench.

Add a heat gun, maybe, or a butane version.

Add a nut driver, for hose clamps.

Add an electrical "pliers" thing for wire cutting/stripping and crimping. (I actually have two, so the "work" -- either stripping or crimping -- is up in the front jaws.)

I've only needed one set of SAE wrenches. Sometimes augmented by adjustable crescent wrenches (I have small, medium, larger).

I have a few screwdrivers, but I find I mostly use the replaceable bit version... so I have a full set of Philips, straight, allen, Torx, Robertson, nut drivers, etc. bits...

When it comes to storage... I've divided our tools into 4 boxes. One serious, in the engine room. One for only electrical stuff (and heat gun), including spare butt connectors, terminals, electrical "pliers," etc. One relatively small for somewhat common tools used above decks. And the one used most often, a very small one above decks with only very commonly used stuff (one driver, some bits, a small adjustable, etc.)

-Chris
Old 24-10-2016, 04:54   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Don't buy junky tools..keep them for life. I still have my $150 set of snapon screwdrivers purchased when I was 18. Have had all the tips replaced 3 times, nc.
Ray, that was always my plan to have all that onboard. Could you show some more pics?
My good friends are always careful when asking for my time.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 05:05   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
There is gold in the forum archives if one digs for TOOLS.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ols&gsc.page=1

I suggest you also include a hacksaw and multiple blades.
Indeed; that old thread pretty much covers it.

In general, you cannot have too many tools. I must have half a ton of tools and parts on my boat, and I still don't have enough.

The importance of this can't really be exaggerated -- one of the main obstacles to cruising bliss is repairs along the way. Long-distance cruisers who are out for months or years at a time often spend a large part, even the majority of their port calls struggling with different repairs. Having the right tool and the right part or material on board can make all the difference between a grueling nightmare that eats up the cruise, and something which can be quickly dealt with so that you can get on with having fun.

Another tip: If you put some effort into storing all your tools and parts in an organized way, this will reward you beyond your wildest dreams. I once spent an entire day looking for a spare diaphragm for the most common gray water pump on the planet -- a Whale 220. It was in Sweden, the weather was beautiful, the crew were out frolicking, and I was stuck all day in the bilges hunting for that d****d diaphragm, without which I couldn't use the galley sink, the after heads shower and sink, or the washing machine. I would have just bought one -- but there was not a single one in all of Sweden, something I couldn't believe. It would have had to be shipped in from Germany .

I did finally find it, and swore after that I would get organized. So I bought a bunch of waterproof ammo boxes the next winter, and started writing down where everything was kept.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 05:08   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Don't buy junky tools..keep them for life.
Amen, as someone who has made a lot of my living with tools, junk tools are horrible. They add time to what your doing, make some tasks impossible, often damage the component and even cause you to get hurt. Penny wise and pound foolish
Old 24-10-2016, 05:11   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hadn't though of ammo boxes, tough and waterproof. I think I may get one or two myself for the small spares and kits. I have them in little plastic baskets now, not waterproof and they spill easy.
Old 24-10-2016, 08:39   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hadn't though of ammo boxes, tough and waterproof. I think I may get one or two myself for the small spares and kits. I have them in little plastic baskets now, not waterproof and they spill easy.
The Plano ammo boxes are really excellent. I must have 20 of them on board.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:55   #29

A hammer is always good to have. I even carry a small sleigh hammer for when frustration sets in.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:33   #30
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My Dad always said "There's not point in having tools I don't know how to use."

Not implying it applies here. I just thought it was funny.

---

My approach is to have a modest but very versatile kit aboard, a massive home shop, and a simple system of bags for shuttling what I need, when I need it. I don't like cluttering and weighing down the boat. I have twin engines, so if the problems is serious, I get home on one. For the most part, sailboats have a lot of built-in redundancy. With good maintenance, emergencies are very few. You should be able to go all season with nothing major.