Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 11:12   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Which Volvo diesel parts?

Thinking of making an offer on a boat with an older (80s) Volvo diesel. It is fresh water cooled, reportedly no leaks or issues. 1500 hours reported.

My thought if I buy it, due to what appears to be a limited number of parts available: Source and stock what parts will most likely go as soon as I can find them. For example, I can see a heat exchanger for sale online (used but excellent) for $700. Buy it and store it…..and keep going.

So, my question is: What are the main parts this motor may need (I get heat exchanger, exhaust elbow, water pump….but what else?)

David
Seattle
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 15:04   #2

Boat: 1973 van de stadt
Re: Which Volvo diesel parts?

Which model volvo are you looking at?
spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 13:37   #3

Older VP parts are generally available but prohibitively expensive. Well, all VP parts are expensive, but i just had to price a new fw coolant pump for my 2003T. Volvo wants $2000 for the part. The rebuild kit alone is $640. But my mechanic says he hasn’t had any success with those kits. Definitely look at getting a spare sw and fw pump.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 13:44   #4

Hi David, you may have lucked into a well maintained engine but, to play Devil's advocate, you would need to open it up and see what the innards look like. A >40 year old engine with only 1500 hours? When was it rebuilt? Or has it been sitting around for a bit. That would be worth knowing, I should think. My rule is that if it is too good to be true, I don't want to be the one it happens to.
Mr. Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, parts, volvo