Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 10:47   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
White, Finished, Foam Core Panels

I’m looking for panels in the United States.

Trying to find some light weight, foam core, finished, white, panels. These are for non-structural interior walls, as well as things like the shower pan.

Could be made of whatever type of resin and glass on the outside. Also completely finished. As in, peel off the plastic and you have a finished, glossy panel.

Does anyone know where to source panels like this?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 02:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: White, Finished, Foam Core Panels

Foam Core Composite Sandwich Panels Products:
https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/p...andwich-panels
https://www.fiber-tech.net/cladfoam-...uctural-panels
https://store.acpsales.com/products/...andwich-panels

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 05:56   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Well I like the idea of a covered foam panel, but those examples were not cheap if you needed to do a large area. Also not certain if they are a peel and stick, since most need a better adhesive to stick well to the surface.

We did our shower enclosure walls w/a smooth FRP panel. While slightly heavier than the typical PVC panels used in most production boats, we went w/the FRP as they had corners/interconnectors that made for a better waterproof seal than found w/the typical siliconed butt joint associated w/the PVC panels.The smooth surface (either one) does make it very easy to use a squeegee post shower. The finished product took a little longer to complete due to complex corners, but thought it looked good in the end.

Not certain about putting the smooth or pebbled surfaces as a shower pan as they make be slippery when wet. Since we had the room, we went w/a heavy duty fiberglass shower pan that was pre-made. This allowed for easier plumbing, better surface (non slip and cleaning), better lips to ensure a good seal to the walls and mostly a solid base. If the base is not solid, eventually it will flex from the weight of various sizes of people creating leaks around the drain.

If you wanted foam, you could still add it behind FRP or PVC. The separate plastic panels also allows you to cover any overcuts easier than w/the thicker foam board combo.

The separate plastic panels are more time/work but much less expensive in the long run and can be found at the larger local hardware stores in the US.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 07:48   #4

Thanks for the link, Gord. I did Google those and saw the prices and had a bit of a heart attack. Ha ha

So I figured I’d ask her if anyone found alternate sources.

Bill, Come to think of it, the shower pan idea is a good one. I was going to do it before, but had a small space, I have recently expanded the size of the shower area, so a big shower pan will actually work. Thank you for reminding me.

I think for the walls I still need foam however, because this is a high-performance catamaran. I need to keep that weight down at every corner I turn. Maybe I can laminate some thin FRP skins onto the phone. Just vacuum bag those on. That’s not too much work. As long as I can find those skins already made and perfect looking.
Old 31-10-2019, 08:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thanks for the link, Gord. I did Google those and saw the prices and had a bit of a heart attack. Ha ha

So I figured I’d ask her if anyone found alternate sources.

Bill, Come to think of it, the shower pan idea is a good one. I was going to do it before, but had a small space, I have recently expanded the size of the shower area, so a big shower pan will actually work. Thank you for reminding me.

I think for the walls I still need foam however, because this is a high-performance catamaran. I need to keep that weight down at every corner I turn. Maybe I can laminate some thin FRP skins onto the phone. Just vacuum bag those on. That’s not too much work. As long as I can find those skins already made and perfect looking.

Depending on the shower pan you may want to reinforce under the base to reduce flex. This is done all the time to reduce the potential for leaks in homes, but may not be that big of a deal in the boat.

The FRP panels aren't all that heavy (weight wise), but more than a thin PVC sheet though. What I liked about the FRP was they were thicker and possibly better duty than a thin film PVC. Don't know what wall surface you have, but can it be glued directly to that and not use foam?

If you go w/the foam backer,you'll want a foam that will not absorb water or very low levels. Have used various types of HDU board for projects which can be glassed or have skins glued to them w/urethane glue. If you don't need structural foam then something like sign board (HDU) could work and it comes in a variety of densities.

Bill O.
Old 31-10-2019, 08:14   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Don't know if you're familiar, but I saw this technique at at shop in SA. They had a plate-glass table, perfectly flat, for making just the types of panels you're asking about. They sprayed a very thin layer of gelcoat (I'm pretty sure) on the glass, then layed the laminate on top of that, then then foam, and vacuumed the whole thing. Pulled the panel, laid out more surface coat and laminate, flipped the foam, vacuum again. Came out with some absolutely perfect pre-finished panels. With whatever laminate schedule you like.

They were using the panels to build furniture, cabinets, etc. and could turn them out in very short order using polyester/vinylester and a little longer using epoxy (not sure what finish they used with epoxy, but they did use one and it looked great). That process went into my book, and if you already have the vacuum setup ready....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 10:34   #7

Boat: cape dory 31

High pressure laminates (HPL) such as Formica are available in glossy whites. Vertical grade or post-forming grades are lighter and more flexible than the standard HPL used for countertops. HPL can be glued onto any appropriate backer if you have the right adhesives. This is best done in a vaccum press although one can use contact cement glue if it's compatible with the backing. You might find someone helpful in a shop that manufactures countertops, or even by calling the HPL manufacturer. I don't know about shower pans.
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55   #8

Thank you for the input. I actually do already have all the vacuum bagging equipment. However, I'm trying to trade some money for time. Yet that prefinished bagging technique does sound pretty straightforward. I'll look into it a bit more. Cabinetry, the shower, non structural and semi structural is exactly what I'm doing here. Nothing intrinsic to the hull, just interior stuff.

Interesting about the hpl countertop materials also. Thanks for that tip. I will check that.

Shower on will be easy. They make pre-built ones the size I need now that I've increased the footprint of the shower. And so far, just picture an empty space in a Catamaran hull. Nothing exists yet here. Raw fiberglass inside face of the hull. No cabin sole yet,no finish work, nothing. Empty canvas.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25   #9

Quote:
Shower on will be easy. They make pre-built ones the size I need now that I've increased the footprint of the shower. And so far, just picture an empty space in a Catamaran hull. Nothing exists yet here. Raw fiberglass inside face of the hull. No cabin sole yet,no finish work, nothing. Empty canvas.

The PO of our boat originally had a pre-fab shower stall in our head. The unit was of good quality, but the placement in the head did not utilize the space well. Maybe in your case, you could design the space properly to use the pre-fab unit and minimize the dead space. If you can fit it in, this seems to be the best use of time/effort rather than making you own bagged panels.

Bill O.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
The PO of our boat originally had a pre-fab shower stall in our head. The unit was of good quality, but the placement in the head did not utilize the space well. Maybe in your case, you could design the space properly to use the pre-fab unit and minimize the dead space. If you can fit it in, this seems to be the best use of time/effort rather than making you own bagged panels.

Bill O.
True. I'll have a look at smaller ones. It may be difficult as I'm looking at putting the shower at an end of the hull past a doorway already cut into a bulkhead. So shower has to go through the doorway.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17   #11

Quote:
True. I'll have a look at smaller ones. It may be difficult as I'm looking at putting the shower at an end of the hull past a doorway already cut into a bulkhead. So shower has to go through the doorway.
Luckily many kits come apart/more sectional, so you should be able to get them through the doorway then reassemble. They also sell separate interlocking shower wall panels if you decide to do a custom pan.
Don't go too small otherwise you will feel you are in a tight phone booth and unable to bend your knees (Capt. Ron style). We went w/a 32" pan to have enough room.
Some of the showers we've seen have acrylic doors. They look slick, but we opted to go w/a curtain instead to be able to leave it open while underway. This really helps remove moisture/increase ventilation.

Bill O.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37   #12

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Corian of many styles for the floor can usually be found cheap on Craigslist and looks good, then either PVC or FRP for walls can be found at Lowes Hardware:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Pl...-Panel/3436816

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Build...Board/50393486
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, panels