Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 14:13   #1

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
White wood

I cut a 2X4 to raise my tiller pilot up a couple inches so it sits flush with the tiller. Next I need to protect it.
Will put a rubber gasket under it, but the rest needs to be white.

The boat is white (of course), so what is the best way to make this white? Is there a special marine paint? Or should I cover it with Gelcoat?
Guess I could oil it?
Another option would be fiberglass and Gelcoat, but that would be overkill for such a small item likely.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 14:20   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: White wood

I would give it a coat of West System epoxy to minimize the flow of moisture in and out of the chunk of 2x4. Maybe two coats of epoxy on the end grain.

Then give it 3 coats of white topsides enamel. It will reflect the sun and not expand and contract so much and should last a long time.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 15:02   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

What lakeS said but I’ll add that you should bake that 2x4 at low temp for a good hour or two. SPF 1&2 lumber that you’ve used can contain up to 19% moisture from new. Being in BC that may be higher or lower depending on where and how it was stored. Get the moisture content down before you seal it up or any finish won’t last too long. This is why most use a dimensional more stable hardwood or composite.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 15:08   #4

Most common "white wood" isn't really that dry. So yes I would dry it good then paint it or epoxy under some paint.
A small chunk of white Starboard stacked up would be perfect for this. What else? Plastic decking material?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 06:42   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

It might be wiser, and more long lasting, to replace the "White Wood" with a milled piece of Starboard, No?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 07:35   #6

I looked at that, problem is, nobody seems to sell it 2" thick. I could use two 1" pieces, but that seems wrong somehow. If anyone knows a source to get a small block that is 2" X 4" that would be perfect. The other problem is that I am in Canada, so shipping up here seems to be $30+ which is more than this is worth. My piece of wood was free.
Old 31-03-2020, 08:14   #7

Oh joy, I found a supplier in Ontario that sells 1" starboard, and in a size sheet large enough to use for Pulpit, and shipping is free so ordered that. I can use my wood piece as a template of sorts. The 1" is likely too small, but can stack it.