Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2022, 18:24   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Who has a 3d printer aboard?

Like most cruisers, I find myself inventing or repurposing items to fix something or other. I have no personal experience with 3d printers but they seem to be a possible solution or better option for this.
Most recently I've been noticing I need to replace my aging hatch dogs. So I'm looking for experienced input on how effective/ useful having one aboard has been for anyone.
What criteria are important in picking the model, what materials are best for the marine environment. Any other issues or wisdom those more experienced might share. Really, any knowledge to help me decide if it's worth doing.
Thanks
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:33   #2

Boat: Looking
Re: Who has a 3d printer aboard?

Replying mostly to follow others' responses.

I'm still shore-based but dreaming about liveaboard lifestyle and I very much hope I can take my 3D printer with me. I doubt it would be useful for boat repairs - I want it mostly for hobby applications.

An entry-level printer can deal with many different kinds of materials. PLA is very beginner-friendly but it's not very strong and so your prints will break easily when under load. ABS is much stronger but also more difficult to work with. (I have no experience printing with ABS). A 3D-printed object will always be weaker than a similar mass-manufactured item. That's because the layers will never bind perfectly with each other.

The materials will hate moist environment but they are cheap and come in 1kg vacuum-sealed bags so you might waste a lot if you don't print in large volumes but it won't break your bank.

I have no idea how well a printer can cope with boat's motion but my intuition tells me there shouldn't be much problem.

You have to remember that a 3D printer is a fire hazard.

Also, you have to ensure good ventilation of the area where you intend to use the printer.

And lastly, they take an enormous amount of space.
Freeeeedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:01   #3

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Who has a 3d printer aboard?

Another thread similar topic:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-234699.html

I do not have one onboard, have one in the house. I have a few 3D printed wire hangers in the boat. Hoping to experiment with PETG filament for better durability than PLA and less fuss than ABS.