Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 07:06   #76
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Why use bottom paint when you can scrape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
...scraping bottoms in the Chesapeake and most tributaries in the US is now illegal. If bottom paint is present or not.
How is the regulation of the hull cleaning of large commercial vessels germane to this discussion? They fall under a completely different set of laws than do recreational vessels.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:34   #77

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
Josephcrawl-
you are correct in the reference to recreational vessels. The regulated control of bottom cleaning activity is aimed at the commercial vessels and the industry paints used and invasive species- and is a combination of multiple issues.
On the recreational side- that article is fairly old but is trying to create proper practice and/or discourage in-water bottom cleaning. The primary motivating issue was the racing sailboats washing the TBT off before the product was banned. That was toxic in closed estuary.

Today, the issue is difficult to regulate outside of the marinas and shoreside facilities. A convoluted government and enviro. activists against business and regulatory bodies.
But if you are in a MD or VA or northeast marina the fine print on your docking contract may include no bottom cleaning in the water beyond accessibility from the topsides. West Coast is worse.

This does not preclude washing bottom regularly , as in a diver doing it before a sailboat race. But if any solids, films, or various debris (organisms) are suspended in the water you are now in violation of epa.

The simple process- good maintained bottom paint and use your vessel regularly, thereby the slime, etc organisms are sluffed off over a large area. solution is dilution.
The idea of scraping (which leads to scratching) is not to be done in the water and the paint must be collected _i.e. the mats, filtering drains etc. under the travel lift.
The idea of scraping and dumping three weeks of growth in one anchored spot (no bottom paint) is just as damaging- invasive species or imbalanced environment.
This is why ballast waters and ships go so far offshore to change out- even between the Chesapeake and Delaware and NY if meeting certain criteria.

This is out of Chesapeake conversation but best and most information and clarity of the subject- The Great Barrier Reef- Australia - they have cranked down with certified cleaning required of all vessels from outside the region.
The Great Lakes Zebra mussels are another discussion- although they are attributed to ballast water from ships- the issue was later expanded to include sea chest areas that did not get easily accessible and cleaned.

all this stuff should be viewed as best practice and worth further googling.

My comment previously about Claiborne still stands: view the whole best practice for the boat and environment. It is not just a single cost of the bottom paint, or the copper, or the efforts- but the matrix of all.
Boat Driver!
Just who do you think gets these pollutants out of the water and banned.
Environmental groups advising regulators, on what to Legistate.

Quote: "On the recreational side- that article is fairly old but is trying to create proper practice and/or discourage in-water bottom cleaning. The primary motivating issue was the racing sailboats washing the TBT off before the product was banned. That was toxic in closed estuary.

Today, the issue is difficult to regulate outside of the marinas and shoreside facilities. A convoluted government and enviro. activists against business and regulatory bodies."

Really, so who do you think advises water regulatory bodies? Scientists and Environmental groups, that's who.

There not there to cater to business or recreational boaters, just water quality.

This is the worst social forum, I've experienced as to caring for the VERY sensitive nature of water quality.

Why, we have to advise?
Because business doesn't do it.
Why would they, they lose business.

Paint your hulls, I prefer NOT to.
But I scrape, and sail.

Since it's a sail boat, engine use is minimal.
Haven't seen any difference on MY vessel as to fuel use.

But.. My Hull isn't fouled, just unpainted.
Even my occasional diver is somewhat surprised.
If you have paint on your bottom don't scrape.
Otherwise, do it. If you want.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 07:39   #78

Boat: Catalina 25

If you only use the boat 2 months a year why do you own a boat? Sell shares in the boat and spread the costs.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 08:16   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0978 View Post
If you only use the boat 2 months a year why do you own a boat? Sell shares in the boat and spread the costs.
Why does most anyone own a boat?
Sail when you can, it's your business what the bottom looks or performs like.
We all sail when it's appropriate.
Boatyarddog
Old 15-04-2022, 08:56   #80

Local diver scraped hull and prop for $50 and did a good job.
On haulout, yard pressure washed the hull clean. Later, the yard rubbed down the old bottom paint and put on new antifouling for $850. That is a lot of scrapes.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 09:06   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacksman View Post
Local diver scraped hull and prop for $50 and did a good job.
On haulout, yard pressure washed the hull clean. Later, the yard rubbed down the old bottom paint and put on new antifouling for $850. That is a lot of scrapes.
It is, and you probably won't even gain a 1/4 knot, not painting.
Now if you leave it for a month, you'll want to brush it off.

Usually a couple sets of marine growth, happen around here.
PNW
And of your watching, you can time your scraping, with this period an then the scrape lasts a lot longer.
What kind of paint did you use this time?

I enjoy employing my regular diver on occasion.
And it's really easy cash for him when I don't feel like getting in.
Boatyarddog
Old 15-04-2022, 09:09   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0978 View Post
Ever heard the saying “Whatever floats your boat?”
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 09:24   #83
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

When I use my boat it’s for months on end cruising, diving & fishing. I never go out for sunset boat rides... So there are long periods when it just sits as a condo. I scrape the hull before I use the it. I paint every 3 - 4 years when the hull starts showing. Having my dive gear onboard I enjoy getting in the water to blow some bubbles and scrape barnacles. I use a 14” drywall mud knife and everything comes off with one swipe. If I don’t have the time I pay a diver to do it for me. I don’t stay up at night worrying about what is living on my hull. Actually, I’m surprised how good and how long bottom paint works.
Old 15-04-2022, 09:27   #84

Boat: Fisher 25 motorsailer

The Chesapeake Bay is a very high-fouling area. If you do not use a high-quality copper anti-fouling paint, you will have to scrape your boat's bottom almost monthly during most of the year when the water temp is above 40 deg F. This is a major pain to do, and much of this work can be eliminated by using a good multi-year anti-fouling paint. I keep my 25 ft. motorsailer at my pier in the middle Chesapeake Bay area year round and only haul it to paint the bottom every other year. I still have to hire a diver every few months to scrape barnacles off the prop as I have not yet found a good anti-fouling solution to keep growth on the prop.
DHHerndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 09:38   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
What kind of paint did you use this time?

Boatyarddog

I don't know the make but from memory the paint bill was $400. So say $300/gallon plus yard markup? On a 30 foot full keel old sailboat. Happy to pay as it is a shitty job to do.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 10:00   #86

Yeah, the last two are photo shopped.
Gary Bode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 12:25   #87
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

With boats being kept in the water all over the planet… Why do the “Know-alls” claim to have “their” boat in the very worst growth environment? Is there a trophy?
Old 15-04-2022, 16:00   #88

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

What about one of those “ boat bags”. You basically hzve a huge bag around the boats hull. Throw some chlorine tabs into to stop the growth.
I’ve seen them on Sydney harbour.
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 12:14   #89

Find someone working in a shipyard. They get the best paints. Even Interlux has a commercial division, they provide XXX bottom paint, not yacht paint.
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 12:28   #90
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter View Post
Find someone working in a shipyard. They get the best paints. Even Interlux has a commercial division, they provide XXX bottom paint, not yacht paint.
It's all the same. Ain't nothing different except the size of the can.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint